Technology vs Jobs

gil

Re: Technology vs Jobs

Post by gil » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:05 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:09 pm
3 men and 4 women on the leadership team. I guess because all those doing the hiring had gender studies in college. :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.biogen.com/company/leadersh ... rship-team
I am the only man on this call. And wow, look at that racial diversity! Amazing.

bio.JPG
What???!? I thought people in your liberal firm wore masks on zoom calls. :lol: Or did they take them off for the photo op? ;)

gil

Post by gil » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:07 pm
This should NOT have to be taught. It is like teaching people to not treat people badly or commit crimes. It common sense and common decency people should already have by time the get to college if they weren't raised by wolves.

I work with dozens of high ranking women making from $150-$800k and they are all treated identically to men.
What is the purpose of gender studies?
Gender studies is a field that promotes gender equality and combats discrimination against women and other marginalized groups. By examining the history of gender norms over time, it's possible to understand how they contribute to the continued oppression of women in modern society.
I know you are a DeSantis supporter, so I'm curious if I'm understanding how you and he would summarize your positions on gender studies. Is this a fair summary?

1. We do not currently have a gender inequality problem.

2. Therefore, there is no reason to study the history of women being treated as unequal to men

3. A main effect of gender studies is to make men feel guilty and women feel oppressed.

By the way, I'm not crazy about ANY academic or research endeavor that begins with a conclusion (e.g., "continued oppression of women ...")

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm

I have no problems teaching that there once was a gender issue in regards to benefits and pay, but I believe it's basically gone now. Should it be a full class to teach a "mistake" from the past..............FUCK NO! This can be a chapter of a book, in a class, maybe two chapters.

I have had my professional career since 1990, and since that time, all the companies I've worked for have had ZERO pay or benefit descripency between male and female employees. Was this this case in the 1980's and before, yes, but I don't it's the case now.

The people that complain that there are more male CEO's than female CEO's; for the most part, because of that gender issue in the 80's and before, they are more qualified for that job. Will women catch up, yes.

The same can be said about race, religion, etc...

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:19 pm

All that having a class about the inequality between races, gender, religion, etc... does is breed the hate. And that hate doesn't come down on those that did the crime. It comes down on the current day employees.

So, how is that helping a problem from 30+ years ago?

douche

Post by douche » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:31 pm
btw that meeting was regarding highly complex calculations required to demonstrate statistically significant improvements in Primary and secondary efficacy outcomes in clinical trials and every one of these women were on it.....
So generally speaking this isn't about women being inferior (or men being superior). It boils down to knowledge and the ability to fulfill one's job requirements. As it should be.

If women are competent in a field, then gender should never be an issue.

The problem I have (and I think most of us do) is a certain propensity for companies and government to put women and minorities in positions where they're simply not capable.

As many of us have stated previously, hire the best person for the job, regardless of race or skin color.

gil

Post by gil » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:07 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:18 pm

The problem I have (and I think most of us do) is a certain propensity for companies and government to put women and minorities in positions where they're simply not capable.
Agree. The privilege of being promoted to your level of incompetence should be reserved for white men. :lol:

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:49 pm

douche wrote:
D-train wrote:
btw that meeting was regarding highly complex calculations required to demonstrate statistically significant improvements in Primary and secondary efficacy outcomes in clinical trials and every one of these women were on it.....
So generally speaking this isn't about women being inferior (or men being superior). It boils down to knowledge and the ability to fulfill one's job requirements. As it should be.

As many of us have stated previously, hire the best person for the job, regardless of race or skin color.
I totally agree.
For instance, fire fighters.....I know very few women that could carry my fat ass down 3 flights of stairs if I can't. I am sure there are some, but they are far and few between.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:01 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm
I have no problems teaching that there once was a gender issue in regards to benefits and pay, but I believe it's basically gone now. Should it be a full class to teach a "mistake" from the past..............FUCK NO! This can be a chapter of a book, in a class, maybe two chapters.

I have had my professional career since 1990, and since that time, all the companies I've worked for have had ZERO pay or benefit descripency between male and female employees. Was this this case in the 1980's and before, yes, but I don't it's the case now.

The people that complain that there are more male CEO's than female CEO's; for the most part, because of that gender issue in the 80's and before, they are more qualified for that job. Will women catch up, yes.

The same can be said about race, religion, etc...
Exactly. Problem is fixed with few exceptions and people keep obsessing on it more than when there was an actual problem...

I wouldn't have minded being a 1950s exec. when secretaries were expected to spend some time under your desk. LOL Doh was that my outside voice! :oops:
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:49 pm
douche wrote:
D-train wrote:

I totally agree.
For instance, fire fighters.....I know very few women that could carry my fat ass down 3 flights of stairs if I can't. I am sure there are some, but they are far and few between.
And further to your point, if that firefighter happens to be black or Asian, and meets the requirements, then so be it. If you're in a fire and need to be hauled out of there, you just want someone to be able to get you out. And amid the panic and the smoke (plus all the bunker gear and breathing apparatus they're wearing), you're not likely to know who's saving your ass anyway. And you don't care. So long as it gets saved.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:00 am

The idea that the "government" is responsible for "equality" is the biggest load of bullshit imaginable on multiple levels. "Government" is not there to help you. It's there to serve the ruling class by controllng you. The best way to help any group of people is to remove as much "government" as possible, stop the extortion, stop the inflation, and let people freely exchange goods, services, and ideas without any interference from politicians and bureaucrats.

If you're falling for the "blacks are oppressed" so we need government to help them or "women are underpaid" so we need government to take action, then you are falling for their stupid tricks. We don't need government for ANYTHING. All human interaction and association should be on a voluntary basis. Every so-called service provided by "government" can be provided better, faster, stronger, and far less expensive by the free market.

People really don't recognize the power they would have if we simply had our tax money back and there was no inflation. We would no longer be relying on the politicians that stole all of our tax money to deliver the goods. We could just go buy the goods ourselves and watch real, positive change occur all around us.

Either you support freedom or you support slavery. It's that simple.