Technology vs Jobs

D-train

Technology vs Jobs

Post by D-train » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Really surprised Tucker took this side of the argument. What side are you on assuming automated trucking is safe or safer than human drivers or technology taking jobs in general. I am 100% against government regulation that inhibits the free market.
dt

ddraig

Re: Technology vs Jobs

Post by ddraig » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:20 pm

Time to shed the "Degree is everything" mantra. Plumbers, welders, electricians, wood workers can all make triple digit salaries in the time it takes the average college student to graduate. Typically, those service jobs do not have any debt, too. So tell me again why I need a degree in History, English, Comparative Religions, or Basket Weaving. Read up on a guy by the name of Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" fame.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:41 pm

ddraig wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:20 pm
Time to shed the "Degree is everything" mantra. Plumbers, welders, electricians, wood workers can all make triple digit salaries in the time it takes the average college student to graduate. Typically, those service jobs do not have any debt, too. So tell me again why I need a degree in History, English, Comparative Religions, or Basket Weaving. Read up on a guy by the name of Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" fame.
Kind of my point. If Truck driving Jobs go away people will just need to get trained to do more valuable and fulfilling jobs.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:21 pm

ddraig wrote:
Not entirely true. Electricians have a very rigorous training, and sometimes years of schooling. It all depends on how up the food chain they want to go. And this is set by the unions....whether it's a union shop or not.

I can't speak for plumbers, but I know welding also needs some schooling. I believe it's a 2-year degree at the standard community college, but that's a far cry away from $200,000 worth of student debt.

But there will NEVER be money in gender studies....unless you are the professor.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:37 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:21 pm
ddraig wrote:
Not entirely true. Electricians have a very rigorous training, and sometimes years of schooling. It all depends on how up the food chain they want to go. And this is set by the unions....whether it's a union shop or not.

I can't speak for plumbers, but I know welding also needs some schooling. I believe it's a 2-year degree at the standard community college, but that's a far cry away from $200,000 worth of student debt.

But there will NEVER be money in gender studies....unless you are the professor.
My niece is brilliant and just wasted her 1st quarter of College at Cal with this nonsense:
Also has a gender studies class, a science class on climate change (your favorite topic, I know) and a one credit class on Fridays on dealing with stress.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:45 pm

ddraig wrote:

I'm curious: How much do you think a professor of gender studies makes? I don't mean a "superstar" with books and national attention. I mean the run of the mill academic at the run of the mill college. I doubt it's 6 figures.

gil

Post by gil » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:37 pm
ddraig wrote:

My niece is brilliant and just wasted her 1st quarter of College at Cal with this nonsense:
Also has a gender studies class, a science class on climate change (your favorite topic, I know) and a one credit class on Fridays on dealing with stress.
Cal (Berkeley) isn't a trade school. Frosh don't need to take classes in their future professions. They need to learn to think and communicate. If she is brilliant, I'm confident she will be fine.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:37 pm
ddraig wrote:

Key word... nonsense

I'm okay with students taking different classes in pursuit of an education to broaden their horizons, but so many of these people are being led down a road that leads to nowhere. What's the point of an education if there's no return on investment?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:39 pm

gil wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:45 pm
ddraig wrote:

I'm curious: How much do you think a professor of gender studies makes? I don't mean a "superstar" with books and national attention. I mean the run of the mill academic at the run of the mill college. I doubt it's 6 figures.
Why do you think Tuition has sky rocketed. It isn't because the Janitorial fees have to mop the classrooms have gone up.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:16 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:39 pm
gil wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:45 pm

Why do you think Tuition has sky rocketed. It isn't because the Janitorial fees have to mop the classrooms have gone up.
Actually, they probably have. ... ;)

I think (and I wish I had data to back this up), it's because of the explosion of administrative positions and programs that are not directly involved in being in the classroom. Things that weren't there a generation ago, such as support for veterans, "student life," and diversity training.