Vivek anyone?

D-train

Re: Vivek anyone?

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:51 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:12 pm
We're only one trip up some stairs from President Kamala.
Why can't he ever trip down the stairs????
dt

douche

Post by douche » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:53 pm
I don't know anything about this guy, but with Indians I'm always curious about their caste background. In this case, the surname "Ramaswamy" indicates his family is Brahmin high caste from the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
The caste system is a trip. I couldn't believe it when I learned about it in HS.
caste.jpg
caste.jpg (335.22 KiB) Viewed 416 times

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:03 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:50 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:53 pm
I don't know anything about this guy, but with Indians I'm always curious about their caste background. In this case, the surname "Ramaswamy" indicates his family is Brahmin high caste from the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
The caste system is a trip. I couldn't believe it when I learned about it in HS.
What interests me about it now is how it can play out among Indians in the west that many of us work with at companies like Microsoft, Amazon, etc. There are certain names, like "Iyer" for instance, that you will almost never see in a low level position unless that person is at the very very beginning of his or her career.

My thesis is that the social dynamics of the caste system are alive and well within the Indian sub-communities inside American corporations, and that the Indians, for the most part, are perfectly fine with it. As a system, this has worked for them for thousands of years, so it's natural that inertia would take them this way.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:51 am

Bingo. Immigrants from India carry a lot of cultural baggage with them. Maybe I'm letting some prejudice into my thinking, but it has nothing to do with skin color. It's cultural. and forcing people into a round hole when they have the potential to be a square peg is very similar to the current crop of elites telling us what to do. I'm just not certain that many Indian immigrants can easily forget thousands of years of culture.

gil

Post by gil » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:28 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:51 am
Bingo. Immigrants from India carry a lot of cultural baggage with them. Maybe I'm letting some prejudice into my thinking, but it has nothing to do with skin color. It's cultural. and forcing people into a round hole when they have the potential to be a square peg is very similar to the current crop of elites telling us what to do. I'm just not certain that many Indian immigrants can easily forget thousands of years of culture.
I know what you mean ("can easily forget thousands of years of culture") but of course it's not literally true ... assuming that our memories are only as long as our time in this life. But I'm definitely a believer that we are all shaped by our culture over generations, because that culture affected our parents and grandparents and those of all our friends.

This is why I don't buy the argument that since we outlawed racist practices, we have zero racism problem. The culture didn't change just because laws changed. (And a lot of people worked hard against passing and enforcing those laws.)

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:18 pm

You can't legislate stupidity. Usually, prejudice is based upon lack of education about what you are prejudiced against.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:52 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:51 am
I bet much of it can change in just a generation and I've got good reason to believe this. My three best friends were not born in American. On is a Hmong refugee from Laos and he and I grew up together. When I'd go to this friends house growing up everything was very traditional, the food, the daily rituals, the language spoken around the house, and the expectations of everyone following the culture of this home. I suppose this worked just fine for my friend born in Laos. Now fast forward 35 years and now he has a son. His son is American as American can get. All of the cultural stuff is just BS to him. This is likely due to his son's total upbringing that includes his friends, schools, and daily life in cultural America.

The best friend I handout with the most came to America in 2000 and I met him about a week after he arrived. He's a Jew that was born in Moldova and raised in Hiafa Israel. Very traditional Jewish raised man and lived his life as such. He married a Ukrainian Jew in 2002 and has had two kids since. His son is 20 years old and is as American as you can get. He appreciates his Jewish background but follows things a little more closely like an American would with being Jewish. He did go to Hebrew school though. But again, he grew up in the broader American culture and was raised around American friends and non-Jews like me. I also feed him bacon as a kid lol.

But what I guess I'm saying is that America has a strong desireable culture. I think even being from an Indian caste system family the caste influence will have its limitation here in the good ole land of opportunity.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:18 pm

My daughter's best friends in High School were an Indian, a couple of Filipinas, a Japanese girl from Peru, and a couple of Latinas. The kid, as far as I know, doesn't have a prejudicial bone in her body. I spent many company trips overseas and when I left, the people I worked with often told me that if I was in-country again, I wasn't to stay in a hotel, but in their home. Marvelous people.

My father had a similar job and he instilled in me a respect for other cultures. The guy was a strong, Goldwater conservative. The antithesis of how libs and the media like to portray conservatives. He had his opinions, but they were based upon lack of knowledge, not experience. I'm certain I have some strong opinions as well, but I know I have them. A few out there don't realize their opinions may be wrong, but they are very few. We aren't as racist, sexist, homophobic, or any other "ist" as the media and the elites like to portray people.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:26 pm

Jordan Peterson interviews Vivek!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX9B5tnj-xI

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:42 pm

dt