Body cam footage of Nashville shooting

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: Body cam footage of Nashville shooting

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:17 pm

I never thought you would one of the people that blames the tool rather than the person. So sad.

sensible gun laws:
How about just enforcing the ones that are already in existence.

including mandatory gun classes and training:
I believe the supreme court decades ago said that no special licenses, fees or requirements can be put onto a basic right.

complete background checks and mental health assessments:
I personally have ZERO issue with this.

no "assault-style weapon" without a special certificate:
You really need to look into the criteria that would make any weapon an "assault weapon"
I can have a semi-automatic 223 hunting rifle. As soon as I put a pistol grip and flame suppressor on it, it's considered an "assault rifle".
-Once again, I thought you smarter than this.
-Don't believe the media, these are not GUNS OF WAR.

limits on the sale of high-capacity magazines:
Once again, the supreme court decades ago said that no special licenses, fees or requirements can be put onto a basic right. Furthermore, I don't see how limiting the number of rounds can affect anyone. All modern weapons have quick releases for the mags that 'almost' make high-capacity mags optional. Honestly, I prefer 10 round clips, but find the 50 round drum to be pretty fun as well.

increased centralized surveillance of schools and soft targets:
I certainly agree that schools need to have something done. The NRA has offered help with this, like training teachers, but the left is so totally against this, it's pathetic. As for soft-targets.....you mean like "gun free zones".....or as I call them, "easy target zones".

I think 80% of Americans would approve of:
You jest, I hope. Most Americans understand the intent of the 2nd Amendment and don't want it to be infringed any more than it currently is. Once again, let's talk about enforcing the laws that are currently on the books and making the back ground check process better.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:20 pm

Here is a link to an attorney in the State of Washington that helps protect guns rights in our state.

I dare anyone to watch a few of his videos and not have your anti-gun mind changed.
https://www.youtube.com/@WashingtonGunLaw/videos

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:43 pm

It's not that I'm blaming the tool. It's just that I think too many crazy fuckers have access to weapons that can kill an extraordinary number of persons in a matter of seconds.

And I agree about enforcing what's on the books already, In fact, I'd like to see a law where anyone using any gun, in the commission of any crime, whether the weapon is fired or not, to immediately get slapped with a mandatory prison term added if convicted. Like if a guy brandishes and threatens his ex -- five years, see ya. Or if some inner-city gang-banger is caught with gun while he is out threatening some rival homeboy on a drive-by, see ya. That doesn't stop a mass shooter, but if other assholes flat-out knew they were going to do significant hard time from the mere fact of waving a gun at someone, I'm all in.

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:47 pm

I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti-lunatic with guns.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:30 am

It is tragic what happened in TN. I spent a fair number of weekends in the Nashville and Murfreesboro area when I was in the service, and this hits pretty deep.

We can do a better job at fortifying our schools! We seem to be excellent at fortifying Ukraine, so why do our schools get minimal security attention?! This guy literally passed on a different school because it was too secure, so he targeted this one because it was a softer target.

This person purchased these guns legally and had a background check. Make no bones about it, more gun laws is not the answer. There are 300 Federal laws in place and an estimated 20,000 state and local gun laws in America. None of these laws saved these six innocent lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cB94hP1pLM

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:20 am

So what's the answer?

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:20 am
So what's the answer?
There are no blanket answers to prevent what any human decides to do. But we also ignore that mass shootings are in fact a statistical anomaly in the relm of gun murders.

We can certainly make our schools safer. Getting rid of "gun free zones" would be a good start. Then harden security and first response teams.

Perhaps train able bodied, capable, and willing staff members to be deputized school marshals like an air marshal. They can go through 4 to 6 weeks of closed quarter combat/battle training, and receiver standardized deputy/marshal recertification. A school marshal/deputy would make any additional income for this certification as well.

I bet if schools had deputized staff it would be a massive deterrent for any mass shooter to hit a school. Those criminals might decide to try to hit a mall instead, but then they would be up against other CCW holders which is also a deterrent.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:28 pm

The issue with gun violence goes further than schools, and yeah, the answer I always hear is to arm more people with guns. That's one of the real fallacies of guns. Being around someone who owns a gun does not make you safer, it only increases your chances of being shot with a gun

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:29 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
So what's the answer?
The answer to school shooting is simple. One entry point with human security. All other doors considered emergency exits locked from the inside.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:32 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:08 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
So what's the answer?
There are no blanket answers to prevent what any human decides to do. But we also ignore that mass shootings are in fact a statistical anomaly in the relm of gun murders.

We can certainly make our schools safer. Getting rid of "gun free zones" would be a good start. Then harden security and first response teams.

Perhaps train able bodied, capable, and willing staff members to be deputized school marshals like an air marshal. They can go through 4 to 6 weeks of closed quarter combat/battle training, and receiver standardized deputy/marshal recertification. A school marshal/deputy would make any additional income for this certification as well.

I bet if schools had deputized staff it would be a massive deterrent for any mass shooter to hit a school. Those criminals might decide to try to hit a mall instead, but then they would be up against other CCW holders which is also a deterrent.
You are 100% right about these shooting being an anomoly - but they are great business for the fear mongers on CNN and capitol hill. They love this shit and they absolutely do NOT want to solve anything - because solving problems puts them both out of business. "Listen to us -we can help!" Really? When have they ever solved anything aside from tax increases and debt accumulation? There was a time teh Gov actually did things in the publics best interest - the news too, but those days are long gone. It's all about agendas that are against our best interests.

The harsh reality is you cannot stop people from doing shit. There is personal accountabilty - or not. Laws and bumbling politicians pretenting to be looking out for you are useless. Funny how the mass 'media' and these gutless politicians bang the drum for 'reform' because it's trendy, just loike 'free health care' and 'no student debt" and utter nonsense like "climate change' and the end result of all of this? Nothing. It's been decades of the same nonsensical and empty blatherings. Oh, sorry, they will 'fund' a committee or use it as a way to take more of your tax money and give it away. These losers have no interest outside of your money and distracting you from recognizing that fact.

How about all those weapons and drugs pouring over the border under biden's open border policy? Why aren't we talking about how many people those have killed? Oh, right, because that would be addressing the real problems, not the distractions.

There's a whole other convo about the negative effects of technology and social media creating gernerations of kids living in isolation - and the damaging effects of the covid isolation tactics nonsense making it exponentially worse - the damage we have not yet even begun to understand. But that is for another time.

Wash, rinse repeat.