Re: Body cam footage of Nashville shooting

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Cascade Kid wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:58 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:29 pm

The answer to school shooting is simple. One entry point with human security. All other doors considered emergency exits locked from the inside.
I'm not talking about schools, they are probably an anomaly in terms of the entire picture. But sure, make them fortresses, why not. What I am talking about is not getting shot with a gun. The logic that guns make us safer I find interesting. Guns do not make you safer, they just don't. If you want to own one go for it, but don't try and feed me the nonsense that you are then safer. It's much more likely you or a family member will be shot with your gun than harmed by an intruder, that's a fact. That's what I keep hearing, don't feel safe? The answer is more guns!
I'm sorry, the subject here isn't about the Nashville shooting? Well then please let me start by sharing with you that Jews having lived in 1938 Germany will disagree with you.

Here are some facts to consume...

Low-end defensive gun uses are estimated between 55,000 to 80,000 each year. High-end estimates are around 300,000 each year. There are also an estimated 400,000 to 500,000 guns in the US, so it would be impossible to get that cat back in the bag.

Anti-gun will always jump straight to gun bans on the less than genuine notion that it's about saving lives. But in reality it is about government control. Otherwise we'd see an investment in gun safety and training initiatives, but I don's see any government endorsed efforts on that front in any sort of media campaign.

Oh, some more food for thought... How about how our WA state legislation pats themselves on their backs by saying that our state has gone from a "grade C to a grade B on gun control, and aiming for a grade A" (quoted by rep Liz Berry(D)). But here are the results provided by the CDC up until 2020 (geez, wonder why they stopped tracking this important data and the CDC?...hmmm), and then from 2021 till now is provided by Washington State Homicide.

............Per capita/100,000.................................Total Homicides
I-1639 Enforcement started July 1, 2020
2021..........No data............................................325
WA state standard capacity aka "high capacity" magazine ban July 2022
2022..........No data............................................379
2023 so far to date?..............................................84 On pace for another new record of 397
Disagree with me about what? That guns are dangerous? I never mentioned gun control or bans. Guns are in fact dangerous. As is that you are more likely to be shot with your own gun or a member of your household than you having the opportunity to use it against a Transgressor. You can claim owning a gun makes you safer but I don't buy it or do statistics agree. Introducing more guns into schools would not make students safer, or more guns in malls make shopping safer. Far as I'm concerned it goes against logic. But by all means if you want to own guns and carry them around go for it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:38 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:31 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:

I'm not talking about schools, they are probably an anomaly in terms of the entire picture. But sure, make them fortresses, why not. What I am talking about is not getting shot with a gun. The logic that guns make us safer I find interesting. Guns do not make you safer, they just don't. If you want to own one go for it, but don't try and feed me the nonsense that you are then safer. It's much more likely you or a family member will be shot with your gun than harmed by an intruder, that's a fact. That's what I keep hearing, don't feel safe? The answer is more guns!
I'm sorry, the subject here isn't about the Nashville shooting? Well then please let me start by sharing with you that Jews having lived in 1938 Germany will disagree with you.

Low-end defensive gun uses are estimated between 55,000 to 80,000 each year. High-end estimates are around 300,000 each year. There are also an estimated 400,000 to 500,000 guns in the US, so it would be impossible to get that cat back in the bag.

Anti-gun will always jump straight to gun bans on the less than genuine notion that it's about saving lives. But in reality it is about government control. Otherwise we'd see an investment in gun safety and training initiatives, but I don's see any government endorsed efforts on that front in any sort of media campaign.

Oh, some more food for thought... How about how our WA state legislation pats themselves on their backs by saying that our state has gone from a "grade C to a grade B on gun control, and aiming for a grade A" (quoted by rep Liz Berry(D)). But here are the results provided by the CDC up until 2020 (geez, wonder why they stopped tracking this important data and the CDC?...hmmm), and then from 2021 till now is provided by Washington State Homicide.

2023 so far to date?..............................................84 On pace for another new record of 397
Disagree with me about what? That guns are dangerous? I never mentioned gun control or bans. Guns are in fact dangerous. As is that you are more likely to be shot with your own gun or a member of your household than you having the opportunity to use it against a Transgressor. You can claim owning a gun makes you safer but I don't buy it or do statistics agree. Introducing more guns into schools would not make students safer, or more guns in malls make shopping safer. Far as I'm concerned it goes against logic. But by all means if you want to own guns and carry them around go for it.
Never owned a gun and never will by I imagine owning a car makes it more likely you will be killed or injured in a car accident....
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:46 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:29 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:20 am
So what's the answer?
The answer to school shooting is simple. One entry point with human security. All other doors considered emergency exits locked from the inside.
Well, per the numbers, creating gun laws CERTAINLY make it less safe.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:21 pm

I wouldn't know one way or the other, I didn't bring up gun laws. I've never really looked into them. I do know guns, I've been a gun owner. We have one around here someplace I guess, I've not seen it. .45 ACP, it's a popular sidearm in the Philippines, Filipinos are very nostalgic. You know it was first introduced for the Philippine - American war. The army needed something with more stopping power. That's when they were facing the Moros in Mindanao, some fierce fighting.

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:03 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:31 pm
Cascade Kid wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:

Guns do not make you safer, they just don't.
History states otherwise, this is what I disagree on.

If you go research the data you will find that adding guns per capita does correlate with less gun murders per capita. But you've already refused to "buy it". Perhaps you don't "buy it" because you have already tripped over data the 'left' pitches who will try to point out how safe Connecticut has become by restricting guns (less guns) while pointing out Wyoming has a high number of gun deaths per capita. But once you take away suicides and look at straight gun murders the stats tell a different story. Wyoming then becomes one of the most safe states in the union.

Inherently, a number of things in an environment can be dangerous, but oftentimes it take human intervention to make them dangerous.

As for guns in schools, in a well-regulated capacity they can be a school can fortify its safety by adding trained certified staff. And also allowing parants to pick up their kids without being illegal (because I guarantee some parents are still transporting kids to/from school with a CCW) would make it a deterrent that can make psychopaths think twice before attemping what just happened in Nashville. The same way the US navy exercising "sea presence", as its number one mission (basically packing the heat to keep seaways in check), responsible gun owners would effectively be doing the same.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:11 pm

I wouldn't know one way or the other, I didn't bring up gun laws. I've never really looked into them.
But you did start this conversation by stating that "guns do not make you safer." And the numbers disagree with your assessment.

I do know guns, I've been a gun owner. We have one around here someplace I guess, I've not seen it.
By definition, you are a BAD GUN OWNER.
Personally, I know where every one of my weapons is.

.45 ACP, it's a popular sidearm in the Philippines, Filipinos are very nostalgic. You know it was first introduced for the Philippine - American war. The army needed something with more stopping power. That's when they were facing the Moros in Mindanao, some fierce fighting.
Thank you. I find this very interesting. I will have to add that to the list of things I want to read about.
:D

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:36 pm

Yeah, it's not mine, it's my father-in-law's. It's something I've never brought up with him.

I did a very quick search, this article claims there has been some distortion to the M1911 story, it is an interesting story. That is a forgotten war that was significant. Tactics used used in Vietnam were lifted from that war, as I understand it.

https://discover.hubpages.com/education ... M1911-Myth

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:38 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:11 pm
I wouldn't know one way or the other, I didn't bring up gun laws. I've never really looked into them.
But you did start this conversation by stating that "guns do not make you safer." And the numbers disagree with your assessment.

I do know guns, I've been a gun owner. We have one around here someplace I guess, I've not seen it.
By definition, you are a BAD GUN OWNER.
Personally, I know where every one of my weapons is.

.45 ACP, it's a popular sidearm in the Philippines, Filipinos are very nostalgic. You know it was first introduced for the Philippine - American war. The army needed something with more stopping power. That's when they were facing the Moros in Mindanao, some fierce fighting.
Thank you. I find this very interesting. I will have to add that to the list of things I want to read about.
:D
Sounds like he owns a dirty revolver that was shot once or twice lol.

Indeed, not knowing where your guns are makes you a very irresponsible gun owner. He'd be better off selling it to his neighbor if it were ever to have a chance to be used to save his family from a home invader, or just as important, not lose it in a burglary.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:40 pm

Again, I didn't say it was mine, I said it was were I live

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:40 pm
Again, I didn't say it was mine, I said it was were I live
You said that you were a gun owner. You changed your story as I was posting.

So since you never owned a gun, you can also correct the record from "I know" to 'I don't know'.