The bizarre thing about Daylight Saving

DanielVogelbach

Re: The bizarre thing about Daylight Saving

Post by DanielVogelbach » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:55 am

bpj wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 am
The one argument I've heard that makes sense for Daylight Savings Time is that kids in the last few weeks, in my area at least, are walking to their bus stops when it's still pretty dark out.

They could probably leave it how it is now and not have to change it, but then we wouldn't have light extra late in the summer.

🤷‍♂️
Just change the start time of school. You don't have to force everyone to mess with their clocks. Is it really easier to move all the clocks back versus just telling the kids to show up at 9 AM instead of 8 AM? I'm assuming this is how things are handled in places that don't observe DST, and I'm assuming this is how things were handled since the beginning of time before some ass clown had his bright idea to mess with the clocks.

I've heard when they change the clocks people get tired and have more car wrecks. no sources, but that's what I heard. Basically, DST kills. It fucks with your rhythms. It's useless. Of course, we'll still have extra light in the summer. The only thing changing is the label we put on a particular hour. We change the name of 7 to 6, 6 to 5, etc... it's pointless.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:06 am

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:55 am
bpj wrote:
The one argument I've heard that makes sense for Daylight Savings Time is that kids in the last few weeks, in my area at least, are walking to their bus stops when it's still pretty dark out.

They could probably leave it how it is now and not have to change it, but then we wouldn't have light extra late in the summer.

🤷‍♂️
Just change the start time of school. You don't have to force everyone to mess with their clocks. Is it really easier to move all the clocks back versus just telling the kids to show up at 9 AM instead of 8 AM? I'm assuming this is how things are handled in places that don't observe DST, and I'm assuming this is how things were handled since the beginning of time before some ass clown had his bright idea to mess with the clocks.

I've heard when they change the clocks people get tired and have more car wrecks. no sources, but that's what I heard. Basically, DST kills. It fucks with your rhythms. It's useless. Of course, we'll still have extra light in the summer. The only thing changing is the label we put on a particular hour. We change the name of 7 to 6, 6 to 5, etc... it's pointless.
I'm all for getting rid of it.

But you start telling kids to show up at 9 and then dad and mom can't be good little bees and get themselves to work on time to keep those taxes coming in for the government.

That's all public school is, keep the kids busy. Like herding cattle, so both parents can work and pay taxes.

Meanwhile they raise the cost of living continuously to ensure both parents actually need to work.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:59 am

bpj wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:06 am

But you start telling kids to show up at 9 and then dad and mom can't be good little bees and get themselves to work on time to keep those taxes coming in for the government.

That's all public school is, keep the kids busy. Like herding cattle, so both parents can work and pay taxes.

Meanwhile they raise the cost of living continuously to ensure both parents actually need to work.
Public school accomplishes several things:

1. Teaches kids how to obey authority and look to authority for all answers

2. Nationalist propaganda / groom them for the military

3. M-F routine, groom them that they are only free on the weekends

4. Forces kids to "learn" things they don't care about, so by the time they graduate they're burned out on learning

The only thing you really need to teach second grade is a first grade education.

It's prison for kids. And, parents thing they're really winning in life when they drop their kids off to be raised by the state while driving a brand new range rover that will go from the school to the work parking lot.

As soon as your kid can wipe their own ass, they take them. The real slaves are asking for government preschool.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:34 am

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:59 am
bpj wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:06 am

Public school accomplishes several things:

1. Teaches kids how to obey authority and look to authority for all answers

2. Nationalist propaganda / groom them for the military

3. M-F routine, groom them that they are only free on the weekends

4. Forces kids to "learn" things they don't care about, so by the time they graduate they're burned out on learning

The only thing you really need to teach second grade is a first grade education.

It's prison for kids. And, parents thing they're really winning in life when they drop their kids off to be raised by the state while driving a brand new range rover that will go from the school to the work parking lot.

As soon as your kid can wipe their own ass, they take them. The real slaves are asking for government preschool.
You've got a good head on your shoulders Danny.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:55 am
bpj wrote:

🤷‍♂️

All of my clocks now update automatically right down to the one on my oven. It is infinitely easier to do that than f around with the hours schools and business are open which would create massive confusion in terms of people not knowing which schools and businesses do it and which don't. This has to be the most over blown issue in human history...lol
dt

gil

Post by gil » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:35 pm

Back in the old days, people would just look up in the sky and noon was the time the sun was at its highest. Of course, every locality then had its own version of noon (and any other time of day). No time zones. If you had a map of the US showing what time "noon" was locally, it would have been a continuous function by longitude. Noon occurred first in the east, then was later as you went west.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:11 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 pm

All of my clocks now update automatically right down to the one on my oven. It is infinitely easier to do that than f around with the hours schools and business are open which would create massive confusion in terms of people not knowing which schools and businesses do it and which don't. This has to be the most over blown issue in human history...lol
DST causes major confusion. Businesses have different hours for the summer, the weekend, the holidays. Sometimes they just randomly change their hours as part of their strategy. "Now open Late"

There's no need for clocks that magically jump around an hour twice per year. At one point, they redefined the dates for DST, which was fun and rendered some auto DST clocks useless. The DST function on clocks is generally a toggle. You have to make sure it's set. It's just one more GD thing to concern yourself with. There's no guarantee it's gonna work. All it takes is one clock off to confuse you. My oven is still an hour ahead.

I have no idea when the schools open or close. it might be 7AM, it might be 8 AM. I assume there's some variance between states, school districts, public / private. All you need to know is when to drop your kid off. Not complicated. If they want to change that for half the year, great. If they can communicate to all the parents what days to bring them, then I think they can communicate what time.

I did also wonder long ago if we couldn't just split the difference. One of these times just move it forward or back 30 minutes and call it good! :D

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:38 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:11 am
D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 pm

DST causes major confusion. Businesses have different hours for the summer, the weekend, the holidays. Sometimes they just randomly change their hours as part of their strategy. "Now open Late"

There's no need for clocks that magically jump around an hour twice per year. At one point, they redefined the dates for DST, which was fun and rendered some auto DST clocks useless. The DST function on clocks is generally a toggle. You have to make sure it's set. It's just one more GD thing to concern yourself with. There's no guarantee it's gonna work. All it takes is one clock off to confuse you. My oven is still an hour ahead.

I have no idea when the schools open or close. it might be 7AM, it might be 8 AM. I assume there's some variance between states, school districts, public / private. All you need to know is when to drop your kid off. Not complicated. If they want to change that for half the year, great. If they can communicate to all the parents what days to bring them, then I think they can communicate what time.

I did also wonder long ago if we couldn't just split the difference. One of these times just move it forward or back 30 minutes and call it good! :D
Ok good luck overcoming your trauma with a one hour time change twice a year and I will continue to be completely unbothered by it. :lol:
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:21 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:38 pm

Ok good luck overcoming your trauma with a one hour time change twice a year and I will continue to be completely unbothered by it. :lol:

You can continue to spew DST apologist bullshit, and I will continue to deal with DST exactly the same way as you're forced to, although I haven't used an alarm clock in 6 years, so not sure - you might be more impacted. Nevertheless, it's not something we can avoid - it's like the holidays, your Mom's birthday.... you MUST think about it. It's a pointless, man-made, arbitrary, useless exercise. And, people die because of it. Statistically there are more traffic accidents.

Let's go deeper.

The natural way is to follow the sun. Arguably, this would explain why there is a lot of population around the equator. But, also why you might sleep more in the winter than in the summer.

The entire concept of being at school at 8:00 AM or being at a jobsite at 8:00 AM is unnatural. In nature, there's no need for a clock whatsoever. Nobody has to wake up and turn the ocean on. It's artificial. And DST is taking the artificial to an entirely new, obscene level. Who really cares what the numbers say when you wake up? All that matters is that you feel good, refreshed, and ready for the day.

Sure, we have our schedules, and our meetings, and we have to know that the ballgame starts at whatever time. But, that doesn't require us to go flipping the clocks around arbitrarily twice a year just because we can.

That's all I have to say about it. My oven works great, and the clock is still an hour ahead. I have big plans this weekend to correct the setting. My 2011 Kia also requires a manual adjustment on the dash clock. :D

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:38 pm

Even Wikipedia admits it fucks people up.

Wikipedia also has some interesting propaganda posters associated with DST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Effects on health
There are measurable adverse effects of time-shifts on human health.[116] It has been shown to disrupt human circadian rhythms,[117] negatively affecting human health in the process,[118] and that the yearly DST time-shifts can increase health risks such as heart attack,[119] and traffic accidents.[120][121]

A 2017 study in the American Economic Journal: Applied Economics estimated that "the transition into DST caused over 30 deaths at a social cost of $275 million annually", primarily by increasing sleep deprivation.[122]

A correlation between clock shifts and increase in traffic accidents has been observed in North America and the UK but not in Finland or Sweden.[123] Four reports have found that this effect is smaller than the overall reduction in traffic fatalities.[124][125][126][127] In 2018, the European Parliament, reviewing a possible abolition of DST, approved a more in-depth evaluation examining the disruption of the human body's circadian rhythms which provided evidence suggesting the existence of an association between DST time-shifts and a modest increase of occurrence of acute myocardial infarction, especially in the first week after the spring shift.[128] However a Netherlands study found, against the majority of investigations, contrary or minimal effect.[129] Year-round standard time (not year-round DST) is proposed by some to be the preferred option for public health and safety.[130][131][132][133][134] Clock shifts were found to increase the risk of heart attack by 10 percent,[119] and to disrupt sleep and reduce its efficiency.[135] Effects on seasonal adaptation of the circadian rhythm can be severe and last for weeks.[136]