RIP Alexey Navalny

bpj

Re: RIP Alexey Navalny

Post by bpj » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:25 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:23 am
Yeah, they blockaded an abortion clinic. That's what I meant by harassment. They were convicted by a jury of fellow tennesseans, it wasn't a summary judgment, tried and convicted. Sure, it was peaceful, sang hymns, that's nice, they still broke the law. I'm not against civil disobedience, but if you're breaking laws expect to pay a price.
That might be the case if it worked the same on both sides.

When we see the rapists and murderers getting set free, it doesn't add up.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:47 am

Different court, rapists and murderers would generally be state courts. Kinda like the education system, lots of different courts, some good, some bad. But the federal courts, that's different, very uniform, budgets and efficiency, also laws, tough. Think twice before breaking a federal law, you can do serious time. That's what happened to these guys. It was a little clinic, they sat and sang hymns, but it was a federal law protecting access to it. They were given six years, thought yikes, but yeah, you're going to get slammed with time
The Dude abides in Seattle
On February 17, 1970, antiwar protesters pelted the federal courthouse with rocks and paint bombs. The melee gave the Nixon-era federal government an opportunity to charge a handful of young radicals—known as the Seattle Seven—with conspiracy to plan a riot. But when the prosecution’s star witness admitted to being an FBI informant, a provocateur, and willing to lie, the case against the Seven fell apart. So did courtroom decorum. The Seattle Seven included Jeff Dowd, the inspiration for Jeff Bridges’s character (the Dude) in The Big Lebowski, and their display of satirical counterculture antics—including unfurling a Nazi flag—made a mockery of what they saw as a mockery of justice. They did time for contempt, but scored points in the court of public opinion.
The Coen brothers met Jeff Dowd while working on promotional material for their film Blood Simple and were inspired by his mannerisms and outlook on life

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:56 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:47 am
Different court, rapists and murderers would generally be state courts. Kinda like the education system, lots of different courts, some good, some bad. But the federal courts, that's different, very uniform, budgets and efficiency, also laws, tough. Think twice before breaking a federal law, you can do serious time. That's what happened to these guys. It was a little clinic, they sat and sang hymns, but it was a federal law protecting access to it. They were given six years, thought yikes, but yeah, you're going to get slammed with time
The Dude abides in Seattle
On February 17, 1970, antiwar protesters pelted the federal courthouse with rocks and paint bombs. The melee gave the Nixon-era federal government an opportunity to charge a handful of young radicals—known as the Seattle Seven—with conspiracy to plan a riot. But when the prosecution’s star witness admitted to being an FBI informant, a provocateur, and willing to lie, the case against the Seven fell apart. So did courtroom decorum. The Seattle Seven included Jeff Dowd, the inspiration for Jeff Bridges’s character (the Dude) in The Big Lebowski, and their display of satirical counterculture antics—including unfurling a Nazi flag—made a mockery of what they saw as a mockery of justice. They did time for contempt, but scored points in the court of public opinion.
The Coen brothers met Jeff Dowd while working on promotional material for their film Blood Simple and were inspired by his mannerisms and outlook on life
Thanks to their godfather Soros, many of the state DA's are under their control also.

The difference is if it was libs doing the same thing they wouldn't even be charged.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:08 am

Depends what state, liberal states, conservative states. Liberals went down to the south and broke laws, they got charged, also killed

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:35 am

Geez, some boring dumb reflection, nostalgia? The activism we got into. There's the courthouse, got hit with a cop baton there, lightly. Blocked the freeway. Attacked
the UW applied physics laboratory but didn't find anything on that. Hate to say it but we were probably similar to antifada. We were hippies, that was the dress code, but really just little thugs. Grew up in the CD, little hardheads. Dancing in the street, what it was called, fighting. Take the struggle to the streets. Stones, Street Fighting Man, oh man that was the cut.

Protesting the war, mostly it was a way to meet girls. I got the peace group I belonged to kicked out of the Catholic church we used for meeting. My gf and I snuck into the sanctuary, drank the communion wine and ate the wafers. Wow a bottle of wine! Cool, doubt I knew what it was for.

We were also sports fanatics, hard core. It must have looked odd, young hippies fighting and screaming over scoring issues in some street game. We weren't laid-back even though we smoked a lot of pot. Sonics ruled back then. Went to lots of games, tickets were cheap. We wouldn't stand for the anthem of course, get drinks poured over me, it was great fun.

I had a guy turn his hose on me. I was just walking down the street, he was watering his lawn. That's the kind of reaction I could get. I loved it, maybe it's what I like about this place. I can still irate people. Wouldn't want to do it walking down the street anymore.
Attachments
Antiwar_demonstration_at_federal_courthouse_Seattle_May_5_1970-1.jpg
Antiwar_demonstration_at_federal_courthouse_Seattle_May_5_1970-1.jpg (103.05 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Protestors_and_police_on_I5_Seattle_May_5_1970-1.jpg
Protestors_and_police_on_I5_Seattle_May_5_1970-1.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Last edited by Donn Beach on Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:36 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:08 am
Depends what state, liberal states, conservative states. Liberals went down to the south and broke laws, they got charged, also killed
In some cases, but there are these liberal DA's in conservative areas now also thanks to Soros money.

Ken Paxton has even complained about it in Texas of all places.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:37 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:35 am
Geez, some boring dumb reflection, nostalgia? The activism we got into. There's the courthouse, got hit with a cop baton there, lightly. Blocked the freeway. Attacked
the UW applied physics laboratory but didn't find anything on that. Hate to say it but we were probably similar to antifada. We were hippies, that was the dress code, but really just little thugs. Grew up in the CD, little hardheads. Dancing in the street, what it was called, fighting. Take the struggle to the streets. Stones, Street Fighting Man, oh man that was the cut. Protesting the war, mostly it was a way to meet girls. I got the peace group I belonged to kicked out of the Catholic church we used for meeting. My gf and I snuck into the sanctuary, drank the communion wine and ate the wafers. Wow a bottle of wine! Cool, doubt I knew what it was for. We were also sports fanatics, hard core. Sonics ruled back then. Went to lots of games, tickets were cheap. We wouldn't stand for the anthem of course, get drinks poured over me, it was great fun. I had a guy turn his hose on me. I was just walking down the street, he was watering his lawn. That's the kind of reaction I could get. I loved it, maybe it's what I like about this place. I can still irate people. Wouldn't want to do it walking down the street anymore.
At least you can admit you're a degenerate liberal troll.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:23 am

Liberal? lol...liberals were useless. We were radicals. The the Weather Underground, Black Panthers, Youth International Party was where it was at, not fucking liberals. My father was a liberal lol. My brother took it too literally. Joined a group called the Revolutionary Union. They were hardcore Maoists, Marxist Lenninists, today they are a cult. Remember his apartment, instead of life life magazine, he had copies of Albania Today, on his coffee table, thought that was funny.

He had a M1, nice gun. He gave it away, but he wouldn't give it to me, pissed me off. Looking back, he was right, that was mature of him, he understood the kind of trouble I could have gotten into. I had a P38, another nice gun, it wasn't legal. Loaned it to a friend, must have had a drug deal to do or something. The idiot left it outside, stuck in a rockery. A little kid found it. That made it into the newspaper, that was a big deal back then. Today nobody cares.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 177 times

gil

Post by gil » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:36 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:23 am
Liberal? lol...liberals were useless. We were radicals. The the Weather Underground, Black Panthers, Youth International Party was where it was at, not fucking liberals. My father was a liberal lol. My brother took it too literally. Joined a group called the Revolutionary Union. They were hardcore Maoists, Marxist Lenninists, today they are a cult. Remember his apartment, instead of life life magazine, he had copies of Albania Today, on his coffee table, thought that was funny.

He had a M1, nice gun. He gave it away, but he wouldn't give it to me, pissed me off. Looking back, he was right, that was mature of him, he understood the kind of trouble I could have gotten into. I had a P38, another nice gun, it wasn't legal. Loaned it to a friend, must have had a drug deal to do or something. The idiot left it outside, stuck in a rockery. A little kid found it. That made it into the newspaper, that was a big deal back then. Today nobody cares.
Ahh, the good old days. When Leftists cozied up to Moscow and Republicans saw Russia and the Soviet Union as our (Americans) primary enemy in the world.

"Albania Today" made me think of "Russia Today" -- all the things they (the powers that be in the Kremlin) want us to believe:
https://www.rt.com

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:28 pm

Though it wasn't really the Soviet Union, It was viewed as revisionist. It was china and Mao, Cuba and Che Guevara, Vietnam Ho chi minh. That was the New communism that the New left embraced

Here we go... Days of Rage, protest organized by the Weatherman.

Wiki
The group planned the October 8–11 event as a "National Action" built around John Jacobs' slogan "bring the war home", which grew out of a resolution drafted by Jacobs and introduced at the October 1968 SDS National Council meeting in Boulder, Colorado. The resolution read, "The Elections Don't Mean Shit—Vote Where the Power Is—Our Power Is In The Street". It was adopted by the council, prompted by the effects of the 1968 Democratic National Convention protest activity in August and reflecting Jacobs's advocacy of direct action as political strategy.