SOTU Address

Seattle or Bust

Re: SOTU Address

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:44 pm

And if Republicans actually cared about Laken Riley's murder and immigration reform as something more than something to be taken advantage of politically...

Perhaps censuring Republican James Lankford and threatening his political career if the proposed border bill progressed isn't sending the right message?

Nothing says "we care about the border and immigrant crime" more than not allowing a bill to be passed while Biden is President purely because of political favor/reasons.

gil

Post by gil » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:01 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:27 pm
And guess what, I don't blame Trump. Nor do I blame Biden. I think what Trump did was good. I think Biden extending Trump's policy was good.

It's inevitable that America playing a role as a place that offers asylum and a start for immigrants escaping terrible lives might lead to a few bad apples slipping through the cracks.

I take pride that we give good people opportunities to thrive who otherwise might be dead if we turned them away. That's America.

Scapegoating the many because of the actions of very few is just wrong to me.
I think this is very sensible. Which unfortunately means that the partisans on the left will disagree, and the partisans on the right will disagree.

I watched part of Katie Britt's SOTU response. She said the border was more secure than it's ever been under Trump. I wonder how one qualifies that. (I want to write that she said "it was the most secure border ever, anywhere, in the history of borders " ... but I'd be exaggerating.

Thanks for offering a refreshing and needed perspective.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:56 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:44 pm
And if Republicans actually cared about Laken Riley's murder and immigration reform as something more than something to be taken advantage of politically...

Perhaps censuring Republican James Lankford and threatening his political career if the proposed border bill progressed isn't sending the right message?

Nothing says "we care about the border and immigrant crime" more than not allowing a bill to be passed while Biden is President purely because of political favor/reasons.
This bill isn't about "securing the border." It's about sending more money into the rat hole called "Ukraine." All our Imposter in Chief needs to do to "secure" the border is do what Trump did. Sign an EO and the money starts flowing. Biden is just looking for a way to get his 10% out of the money going to Zelinsky. Then he can go home and sit in his Corvette and do his vroooom, vrooom noises!

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:58 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:56 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:

This bill isn't about "securing the border." It's about sending more money into the rat hole called "Ukraine." All our Imposter in Chief needs to do to "secure" the border is do what Trump did. Sign an EO and the money starts flowing. Biden is just looking for a way to get his 10% out of the money going to Zelinsky. Then he can go home and sit in his Corvette and do his vroooom, vrooom noises!
Ya, it's clearly not about securing the border if Republican officials are threatening those who are trying to get things passed b/c they don't want Biden to get a win he can flaunt.

Which is more important? Signing a bipartisan border bill that addresses some of the grievances? Or making sure Biden doesn't get a win?

I guess the border isn't actually that important then...

gil

Post by gil » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:40 am

ddraig wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:56 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:

I'm confused. The Senate had a proposal for funding for Israel, Ukraine, Taiwan, and the southern border - right? Senate Republicans didn't support that after Trump said he didn't want the provisions regarding the border to be approved.

Then, the Senate passed a bill without the border provisions and funding. 26 Republican Senators voted for funding for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan, after they had voted against the same bill with border funding and authority included.

https://www.newsweek.com/full-list-repu ... ne-1869372

Sure seems to me that this was about the border (or at least passing a bill related to the border), not about Ukraine.

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:26 am

It was a terrible bill negotiated by Democrats and fake Republicans, there's not much more to it.

Once people saw that it didn't actually close the border they rejected it.

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:26 am
It was a terrible bill negotiated by Democrats and fake Republicans, there's not much more to it.

That bill was a batch of bullshit that would have still let at least 5000 illegals in per day and also pork-barreled money all over the place to Ukraine and other Democrat pet projects. All so Biden could still let in wave after wave of migrants, and then stand up there and blow his horn about how he "finally solved the border crisis" that his predecessor handed him.

Fuck him.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 pm

maoling wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 pm
bpj wrote:

That bill was a batch of bullshit that would have still let at least 5000 illegals in per day and also pork-barreled money all over the place to Ukraine and other Democrat pet projects. All so Biden could still let in wave after wave of migrants, and then stand up there and blow his horn about how he "finally solved the border crisis" that his predecessor handed him.

Fuck him.
Exactly, but these libs have obviously bought into the "Bipartisan Border Bill" line they've been fed instead of looking what was actually in the bill.

They think it was an actual attempt to solve the wide open border, but it was a take it or leave it move by the Dems so they could play the moral superiority line, "We tried! It was bipartisan!" without mentioning it was some RINO losers that helped "negotiate" it.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:25 pm

Notice how it's always the Dumbocrats wanting "bipartisanship" because they know the RINOs will sell out. Anytime a Dumbocrat wants "bipartisanship," they are looking at some Regurgitates to vote with them!

maoling

Post by maoling » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:49 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 pm
maoling wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:48 pm
bpj wrote:

Fuck him.
Exactly, but these libs have obviously bought into the "Bipartisan Border Bill" line they've been fed instead of looking what was actually in the bill.

They think it was an actual attempt to solve the wide open border, but it was a take it or leave it move by the Dems so they could play the moral superiority line, "We tried! It was bipartisan!" without mentioning it was some RINO losers that helped "negotiate" it.
I really thought I could never hate a president more than Tricky Dick, then I said that about Bush Sr., then Clinton.

But this evil lying corrupt career POS is worse than every crappy president combined.