SOTU Address

D-train

Re: SOTU Address

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:33 am

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:07 pm

Keep in mind that Biden mispronounced the name of the VICTIM calling her Lincoln Riley (USC Head Football coach) instead of her name Laken Riley but did not correct himself or apologize for that at all.
dt

Mel Bradford

Post by Mel Bradford » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Is President Jose' just a front man for the drug/ human trafficking-slavery Cartels ?

While the liar-in-chief fields soft balls about the use of adjectives with some swollen lipped pseudo-intellectual at msnbc the policy and enforcement effects remain the same..... Another American will needlessly die today, tomorrow and every day.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 am

Watching the SOTU, I started think on a great line out of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." "I'm not dead yet!"

Mel Bradford

Post by Mel Bradford » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:12 pm

Mel does tend to get morose. Gratitude helps.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:23 am

Mel Bradford wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:12 pm
Mel does tend to get morose. Gratitude helps.
We are thankful to have you here, Mel. Always appreciate your astute insights and eloquent prose! :)
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:33 am
The SOTU address polled very well and was met with generally positive regard, even in conservative circles who had to admit that the "Joe has dementia and other people are running America" card looked silly given the energy and delivery of the speech.

Funny that NONE of you are on here talking about the Republican response that has gotten absolutely skewered for the last week for:

1. Terrible acting and overall weirdness.

Megyn Kelly said it perfectly: "“The Republicans had an opportunity here to put their best foot forward and just sound normal. That’s it. Don’t shout; say normal things and speak to regular Americans about what’s real.” “They blew it, as they do all the time. They put up rising star in the Republican Party, Katie Britt, who is a senator from the state of Alabama … I don’t know what the eff I saw. I agree with the people saying she looked like she was auditioning for a show on Lifetime. The drama, the fake affectation, the over the top portrayal of emotions I did not believe she was feeling at all, her inauthenticity, it was totally cringe as the kids would say. Sorry!"

2. Putting a woman in a kitchen in 2024 to deliver an important political response sure is a choice.

3. The fact that Britt out and out lied, trying to frame Biden as the reason that a woman who was trafficked by a drug cartel. “When I first took office, I did something different,” Britt recounted. “I traveled to the Del Rio sector of Texas, where I spoke to a woman who shared her story with me. She had been sex-trafficked by the cartels starting at age 12.” The senator suggested that this had happened in the United States and added, “President Biden’s border crisis is a disgrace. It’s despicable. And it’s almost entirely preventable.”

The woman has come out and said that Britt's recount is total bullshit and she's tired of her story being used to score political points. She was not trafficked by the cartel, but instead a pimp in Mexico FAR from the border. It happened from 2004-2008 when Bush was in office.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Yeah it was lame and over the top. But she isn't running for POTUS and never has been or will be POTUS and I am not a Republican so I don't really give a shit.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:59 pm
Yeah it was lame and over the top. But she isn't running for POTUS and never has been or will be POTUS and I am not a Republican so I don't really give a shit.
So nothing on the lunatic in full MAGA gear shouting at him from the crowd? It was a Freudian slip w. a name similar to a prominent football coach in the face of weirdo MTG shouting at him. Sue him I guess?

Nothing on him saying, "to her parents, my heart goes out to you. Having lost children myself." Funny (not really funny) how when children get killed in mass in school shootings by Americans all some people want from Presidents are "thoughts and prayers." But when illegal immigrants commit crimes... it's all the rage to do everything in our power to shut down the border and prosecute.

And what do you want him to do about the fact that this woman was murdered? Fly down there and give her family a bunch of hugs for political points? Get "tougher" on immigration despite the fact that it does nothing if immigration authority fuck up protocol?

Did you know Jose Ibarra was arrested multiple times but never charged because ICE and local police forces didn't follow correct protocol and didn't do proper background checks on him? Did you know his brother was returned to Mexico in 2023 for trying to cross illegally? Did you know his brother got in a fight with border agents in 2024 and due to oversight and again, mistakes by border agencies, was not deported, but was instead given an ankle bracelet that he cut off in Colorado before ending up in Georgia? Did you know both he and his brother were arrested on a shoplifting charge and then released? Did you know that his brother was arrested and released on a DUI charge?

Seems to me authorities need to get their shit together and do their jobs.

And if a president can do so much, why didn't Trump make it permanent that asylum seekers/illegal immigrants from Latin American countries be deported immediately if they have a rap sheet? Why did only 450 miles of the border wall he swore was going to protect us and that Mexico was going to pay for get built? Why didn't Trump permanently end Temporary Protective Status for immigrants? (the answer is that a President doesn't have this power and can only do so much, which is why it's stupid to blame one)

And guess what, Venezuelans are given Temporary Legal Status... Jose Ibarra is Venezuelan... do you know who granted that status initially? Donald J. Trump on his last full day in office. The Biden administration only extended that status. https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/1 ... tus-460524 That policy is the reason Ibarra was admitted in the first place.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:27 pm

And guess what, I don't blame Trump. Nor do I blame Biden. I think what Trump did was good. I think Biden extending Trump's policy was good.

It's inevitable that America playing a role as a place that offers asylum and a start for immigrants escaping terrible lives might lead to a few bad apples slipping through the cracks.

I take pride that we give good people opportunities to thrive who otherwise might be dead if we turned them away. That's America.

Scapegoating the many because of the actions of very few is just wrong to me.