Anti-Israel Protesters Block Golden Gate Bridge

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: Anti-Israel Protesters Block Golden Gate Bridge

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:55 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:45 pm
Blocking a bridge in which people cannot turn around and are thus trapped for hours is not PEACEFUL assembly. It is a form of Hostage taking and should be illegal with significant criminal penalties.
Absolutely correct!!!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:10 pm
I5 was blocked during the vietnam war protests. I brought it up before since I participated. The same sorts of criticism was leveled then. Protesting should be held in such a way that doesn't conflict with others having a happy peaceful day. But ultimately that's not what protesting is about. It's about shutting down a freeway, setting off a bomb or invading a government facility. Its about pissing people off, getting their attention, demanding it.
Some of the most famous and effective protests were riding in the front of a bus, the lunch counter sit ins, the various marches and peaceful protests.

None of these involved trapping people on a bridge and all were VERY effective and historic.

https://www.thecollector.com/7-major-pr ... -movement/

Not a single soul stuck on that bridge will be converted to the cause and are now for more likely to be Pro Israel.

They are just idiots that want people to be as pissed off as they are. Peaceful protests are always widely publicized and bring huge more positive awareness.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I5 was blocked during the vietnam war protests. I brought it up before since I participated. The same sorts of criticism was leveled then. Protesting should be held in such a way that doesn't conflict with others having a happy peaceful day. But ultimately that's not what protesting is about. It's about shutting down a freeway, setting off a bomb or invading a government facility. Its about pissing people off, getting their attention, demanding it.
Some of the most famous and effective protests were riding in the front of a bus, the lunch counter sit ins, the various marches and peaceful protests.

None of these involved trapping people on a bridge and all were VERY effective and historic.

Not a single soul stuck on that bridge will be converted to the cause and are now for more likely to be Pro Israel.

They are just idiots that want people to be as pissed off as they are. Peaceful protests are always widely publicized and bring huge more positive awareness.
Amazing article and great history. Thanks for posting that.

Although I know that Civil Rights legislation was passed, I didn't know about all these events.

There was a lot of negative reaction to all the marches and sit ins, wasn't there? Firehoses, dogs unleashed on peaceful protesters, even murders. Doesn't sound completely like everyone just accepting equality as the result of peaceful protests.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:47 pm

gil wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Amazing article and great history. Thanks for posting that.

Although I know that Civil Rights legislation was passed, I didn't know about all these events.

There was a lot of negative reaction to all the marches and sit ins, wasn't there? Firehoses, dogs unleashed on peaceful protesters, even murders. Doesn't sound completely like everyone just accepting equality as the result of peaceful protests.
Yes I am sure there was and all of those reactions were wrong just like it would be wrong to react like that to peaceful protests today..

And just like it is wrong to compare what those people had to go through to requiring ID to vote with the ridiculous Jim Crow 2.0 nonsensical slogan that Biden uses.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 am

Again, it's not about persuasion, it's about disruption. You're not trying to change minds, your trying to change actions. And even though it can be unpopular it's considered to be pretty effective actually.

This from an article on the climate protests in england, they involve blocking traffic.
Another respondent, Prof Bart Cammaerts, professor of politics and communication at the London School of Economics, said: “Whether we like it or not, the history of social change is also a history of political contestation and disruption. Disruption of everyday life is often the best way to receive media attention, generate visibility for a cause and above all to push political and economic elites to compromise and accept change, if only to protect their own interests.”

But disruption was not a tactic that could be relied on by all causes, the experts said. While about seven in 10 said movements that have high public awareness and support, such as climate crisis organisations, could enjoy its fruits, only 30% thought disruptive tactics were effective for issues with high awareness but low support, such as anti-vaccination
I don't know what exactly the protesters goal was, I think you need specific goals. It would seem to me the palestine issue would fall in the less effective high awareness low support
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... xperts-say
Assembly Member Stacey Pheffer Amato, a conservative Democrat whose district covers parts of southern Queens, introduced a bill last month that would amend the state’s penal law to expand the definition of “domestic terrorism” to include blocking a public road, bridge, transportation facility or tunnel.

gil

Post by gil » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 am
Again, it's not about persuasion, it's about disruption. You're not trying to change minds, your trying to change actions. And even though it can be unpopular it's considered to be pretty effective actually.

This from an article on the climate protests in england, they involve blocking traffic.
Another respondent, Prof Bart Cammaerts, professor of politics and communication at the London School of Economics, said: “Whether we like it or not, the history of social change is also a history of political contestation and disruption. Disruption of everyday life is often the best way to receive media attention, generate visibility for a cause and above all to push political and economic elites to compromise and accept change, if only to protect their own interests.”

But disruption was not a tactic that could be relied on by all causes, the experts said. While about seven in 10 said movements that have high public awareness and support, such as climate crisis organisations, could enjoy its fruits, only 30% thought disruptive tactics were effective for issues with high awareness but low support, such as anti-vaccination
I don't know what exactly the protesters goal was, I think you need specific goals. It would seem to me the palestine issue would fall in the less effective high awareness low support
Assembly Member Stacey Pheffer Amato, a conservative Democrat whose district covers parts of southern Queens, introduced a bill last month that would amend the state’s penal law to expand the definition of “domestic terrorism” to include blocking a public road, bridge, transportation facility or tunnel.
Very interesting take on awareness and support as distinct variables. Good stuff.

Another thing I've wondered about: When you have "radical elements" doing things like disrupting everyday life, this opens the door to "sensible" (comparatively) people or groups who have the same message but don't use disruptive tactics. For example, I've read that MLK Jr. said that he got more respect from the White establishment after Malcolm X became prominent. The non-violent approach worked better because of the threat of violence that Malcolm X represented. All of a sudden, "existential threats" like Blacks attending the University of Alabama and integrating restaurants didn't seem so bad.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:41 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 am

Oh yeah I am sure the UK climate disruption protests had a huge impact on Global Climate Change. Their share of CO2 emissions is infinitesimal.

Its just a bunch of losers with no purpose in life trying to feel like they are doing something important...
Screenshot 2024-04-20 1.38.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 1.38.30 PM.png (99.75 KiB) Viewed 81 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:33 am

Just had a though that with all the Pro Palestine/Hammas rallies. The BLM folks have to be feeling very lonely and neglected right now. Have to be praying for a police shooting of an unarmed Black man and soon!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:09 pm

So the protests at Columbia which don't involve blocking innocent people's movement are being covered 24/7 on every network making the disruption argument complete BS.

There has been some violence but anyone near there knows what is going on and is there at their own risk not innocent people trying to cross a bridge or get to the AP.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:08 pm

Haven't there been calls for violence against Jews on the Columbia campus? To me that seems much worse than blocking a freeway.