Republican National Convention

maoling

Republican National Convention

Post by maoling » Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:55 am

This is the most consequential and impactful convention since the Democrat National Convention in Chicago in 1968, when "The whole world is watching."

An entirely different age, mostly entirely different circumstances, but this is the same feeling I had when I saw that year play out on TV when I was 10.

That convention was marked by violence and hatred, police brutality, the deepest divisions in 100 years of a nation coming apart at the seams. And that was just from the Democrats. And that's why the fracture of the Democrat party that year, the turmoil, assassinations, the war at home and abroad led to a guy like Dick Nixon. I think we know how that worked out.

We are living in dangerous times, and this time around I am supporting the candidate who almost got his head shot off on live TV while the Secret Service didn't see a nearby shooter.

Donn Beach

Re: Republican National Convention

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:00 am

I was wondering if there was going to be a convention thread. It's interesting the changing Republican party.

That's pretty wild
Perhaps most shocking to some more traditionalist Republicans was the fiery speech from International Brotherhood of Teamsters President Sean O’Brien — the first Teamster to speak at an RNC in its 121-year history. In his remarks, he trespassed on traditional economic conservatism, decrying the “corporate elite,” outlining the harm of Right to Work laws, which make it harder to organize and have been passed mostly in GOP-run states, and called the Chamber of Commerce “unions for big business.”
David Urban, the former 2016 Trump campaign adviser, told POLITICO he looked at his CNN co-host David Axelrod, the former Barack Obama adviser, and asked him while off air: “Am I at the right convention?”

maoling

Post by maoling » Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:45 am

This is how it will play out within a very few weeks, bet a buck. Except the Bidens aren't leaving without fanfare, a fake health issue, calamity, pardons and a huge cash payout on the side.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:55 pm

I truly hope in President Trump's address this evening he talks about reinforcing the 2nd Amendment. I think that would be huge to us gun owners since he has been shot and/or shot at (for those that say a ear hole is just a flesh wound).

Talk about how he'd been shot, but it made him realize how important the 2nd Amendment is..... but proper security is important as well.

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:38 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:55 pm
I truly hope in President Trump's address this evening he talks about reinforcing the 2nd Amendment. I think that would be huge to us gun owners since he has been shot and/or shot at (for those that say a ear hole is just a flesh wound).

Talk about how he'd been shot, but it made him realize how important the 2nd Amendment is..... but proper security is important as well.
I like how he started off and other parts where he honored the firefighter who was killed at his rally, but overall, I think he missed the mark in some ways. That speech went on too long and could have been trimmed by a half-hour. He rambled for much of the final third of his acceptance and seemed to lose his audience for a while. Yup, he could have spoken in broader terms of his vision, of the 2nd Amendment and kept that crowd more engaged toward the end.

Also, just one opinion, but bringing out Kid Rock and Hulk Hogan was cartoonish. To me, it detracted from the final night.

Still, this was the best convention I've ever seen, and will prove to be far better than what I think will be a shit show when the Dems hold theirs in a few weeks.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:17 pm

maoling wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:38 pm
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:55 pm

I like how he started off and other parts where he honored the firefighter who was killed at his rally, but overall, I think he missed the mark in some ways. That speech went on too long and could have been trimmed by a half-hour. He rambled for much of the final third of his acceptance and seemed to lose his audience for a while. Yup, he could have spoken in broader terms of his vision, of the 2nd Amendment and kept that crowd more engaged toward the end.

Also, just one opinion, but bringing out Kid Rock and Hulk Hogan was cartoonish. To me, it detracted from the final night.

Still, this was the best convention I've ever seen, and will prove to be far better than what I think will be a shit show when the Dems hold theirs in a few weeks.
Why does Trump have these kind of strange things he falls back on in speeches?

What's with Hannibal Lecter?

“Has anyone seen Silence of the Lambs? The late, great Hannibal Lecter. He’d love to have you for dinner. That’s insane asylums, they’re emptying out their insane asylums.” “The late, great Hannibal Lecter” and said, “He’s a wonderful man.” ... like?

It's not only weird for the proposed leader of the free world to revere a fictional serial killer as a "wonderful man," but trying to follow his train of thought and these strange pop culture references is just so off putting.

I don't think it helps him at all and he does it all the time.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:26 pm

I haven't watched much of Trump's speeches, it's a lot of ad-libbing isn't it? At least it sounds like it, interesting style

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:26 pm
I haven't watched much of Trump's speeches, it's a lot of ad-libbing isn't it? At least it sounds like it, interesting style
That's one way to put it.

It's unbecoming and doesn't win anyone over who isn't already on his side when he goes off to La La Land.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:52 pm

I think it's probably effective. It's pretty remarkable how as a billionaire he can come off as sort of this working class populist, at least connect. I think how he delivers a speech has a lot to do with it

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Jul 19, 2024 6:46 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:52 pm
I think it's probably effective. It's pretty remarkable how as a billionaire he can come off as sort of this working class populist, at least connect. I think how he delivers a speech has a lot to do with it
He already has that base. The people who think it's amazing that he receives big ovations at UFC events, love Kid Rock and Hulk Hogan, are the people who will always vote for him.

The weirdo behavior appeals to them... but it wins nobody else over and was rejected in 2020.