Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

D-train

Re: Trade deadline trade ideas discussion

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:01 pm

Trade values likes my Mets trade. We can even keep Shenton.
trade 1.JPG
trade 1.JPG (32.61 KiB) Viewed 743 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Gorman trade.
trade 1.JPG
trade 1.JPG (35.2 KiB) Viewed 742 times
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:21 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:56 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:15 pm
Nolan Gorman and Bret Baty
What do the Mets need, and why would they trade Baty? Doesn't seem to be blocked by anyone long term. Are the Mets really going to trade another 1st round pick to the Mariners with their JK PTSD?
Mets OFer OPS

Mitch + Campbell + Shenton
The Mets need offense, they are in the bottom 5 in that department, they need one starter, and a bullpen piece. Their regular 3rd baseman is on the DL but they have Villar and Guillerome to fill in. I understand the Mets are pursuing Adam Frazier from the Pirates since they moved McNiel to the outfield. Haniger +Steckenrider might be more interesting to the Mets for Batty. I like him, (Freddie Freeman with power he's been called), but why would the Mets trade their 2019 first round draft pick, #12 pick to the M's. I'd make the call but I'm not optimistic.

As for Cruz being cheap, the Twins are getting calls already.... I understand the Blue Jays and the A's are interested. I'd like to make a deal for Berrios but there's almost no way the Twins get rid of him, he's not an Ace, but he's the closest thing they have to an Ace. The Twins season is shot, but this team isn't far removed from setting a home run hitting record and they still have hope without the injuries they could compete next year. I wonder if we offered a "Hail Mary" package for a semi blockbuster like Gonzales, Sheffield, and Haniger for Berrios and Cruz?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:18 pm

I noticed on that trade values website that Gonzalez has negative trade value so if you remove him it actually makes the trade more likely.
dt

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:01 pm

trade 1.JPG
Campbell on IL after elbow procedure to remove loose particles

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:18 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:01 pm

trade 1.JPG
Campbell on IL after elbow procedure to remove loose particles
Maybe we can send his brother Eric Campbell and they won't notice?
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:18 pm
I noticed on that trade values website that Gonzalez has negative trade value so if you remove him it actually makes the trade more likely.
Here's what I don't get about that website...

It lists Kyle Hendricks of the Cubs as having like a -12.5 trade value.

Kyle Hendricks has a career ERA of 3.18. He leads the NL in wins at 11 and has a 3.77 ERA. He's never once had an ERA over 4. He's under contract for 3 more years at a very manageable $14-16 million a season.

Now take Jose Berrios for the Twins... the website lists him as having a trade value of 39.4... Berrios is currently pitching rather well to a 3.37 ERA. But he's got a career ERA of 4.08. Most seasons he's been in the high, high 3's ERA wise... Hendricks has simply been the far better pitcher. Now I would understand the lofty trade value if he still had 3-4 years of control and was like 25 years old... but he's 27 and has 1, single, solitary year of control where his arbitration cost is going to be around the same salary that Kendricks is making and you would then would have to offer a monster contract (more than what Hendricks is currently making) to keep him.

That's a difference in value of like 52... that's 9 more points than what they say Logan Gilbert is worth. That website is going to sit here and tell me that the difference in trading for a Kyle Hendricks vs a Jose Berrios is more than Logan Fucking Gilbert? For one bloody year of control of a guy who has a career ERA over fucking 4? How does that value make sense?

There's no way.

The exact same thing could be said for German Marquez... but way, way worse. He's got a trade value of 85.9... he's got a career ERA of 4.15 and is making virtually the same fucking amount as Hendricks is over the next 3 years... he's just 4 years younger... but so what? Hendricks has been a better pitcher than Marquez, not even close... now you're gonna sit here and tell me that the difference between him and Hendricks is Julio Rodriguez + Logan Gilbert? These ppl r insane.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:35 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 pm
D-train wrote:

Kyle Hendricks has a career ERA of 3.18. He leads the NL in wins at 11 and has a 3.77 ERA. He's never once had an ERA over 4. He's under contract for 3 more years at a very manageable $14-16 million a season.

Now take Jose Berrios for the Twins... the website lists him as having a trade value of 39.4... Berrios is currently pitching rather well to a 3.37 ERA. But he's got a career ERA of 4.08. Most seasons he's been in the high, high 3's ERA wise... Hendricks has simply been the far better pitcher. Now I would understand the lofty trade value if he still had 3-4 years of control and was like 25 years old... but he's 27 and has 1, single, solitary year of control where his arbitration cost is going to be around the same salary that Kendricks is making and you would then would have to offer a monster contract (more than what Hendricks is currently making) to keep him.

That's a difference in value of like 52... that's 9 more points than what they say Logan Gilbert is worth. That website is going to sit here and tell me that the difference in trading for a Kyle Hendricks vs a Jose Berrios is more than Logan Fucking Gilbert? For one bloody year of control of a guy who has a career ERA over fucking 4? How does that value make sense?

There's no way.

The exact same thing could be said for German Marquez... but way, way worse. He's got a trade value of 85.9... he's got a career ERA of 4.15 and is making virtually the same fucking amount as Hendricks is over the next 3 years... he's just 4 years younger... but so what? Hendricks has been a better pitcher than Marquez, not even close... now you're gonna sit here and tell me that the difference between him and Hendricks is Julio Rodriguez + Logan Gilbert? These ppl r insane.
Yeah I have only used it a few times and have already noticed some oddities. Just a fun sanity checking tool imo.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Here's there methodology. Let us know what you think.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/val ... -leaguers/
dt

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:35 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 pm
D-train wrote:

There's no way.

Yeah I have only used it a few times and have already noticed some oddities. Just a fun sanity checking tool imo.
Yeah + it also undervalues what you might be able to sell a rental veteran for.

There's no way 3 months of Nelson Cruz is only worth 4.5 to a team pushing to make the playoffs. There's no way Craig Kimbrel is only worth 0 to a team pushing to make the playoffs.

It should be a competitive market for Cruz in the AL... more than 4.5 points suggests.