Minor League Updates

Juliooooo

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:02 am

Raymond Kerr is an interesting prospect. Maybe a lefty Diaz?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gillogly/sta ... 7953482752
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Marinerjim11

Post by Marinerjim11 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:18 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:15 am
Jake Scheiner didn't get a lot of love when Mariners got him for Jay Bruce, but he's been pretty good in Modesto. Since June 7 he's hit .277/.320/.476/.796. That is before today in which he is so far 2-3 with this bomb...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MiLBMariners ... 4813143040
The only thing that concerns me about Scheiner is his strike out to walks. 49 strikeouts and only 8 walks. However that said last year he had 49 BB and only 81 strikeouts.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Marinerjim11 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:18 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Jake Scheiner didn't get a lot of love when Mariners got him for Jay Bruce, but he's been pretty good in Modesto. Since June 7 he's hit .277/.320/.476/.796. That is before today in which he is so far 2-3 with this bomb...

The only thing that concerns me about Scheiner is his strike out to walks. 49 strikeouts and only 8 walks. However that said last year he had 49 BB and only 81 strikeouts.
Interesting. He has had a pretty low K rate before joining Modesto, but it's jumped to 25 % in Modesto (was 15%in the same level for Phillies this season before the trade). He's clearly being more aggressive (this was mentioned a month ago by Churchhill)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProspectInsi ... 1032242176

It's clearly produced better results.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Marinerjim11

Post by Marinerjim11 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 pm
Marinerjim11 wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

Interesting. He has had a pretty low K rate before joining Modesto, but it's jumped to 25 % in Modesto (was 15%in the same level for Phillies this season before the trade). He's clearly being more aggressive (this was mentioned a month ago by Churchhill)

Dont forget that Calfornia League is more of a hitters league, which made what Gilbert did even more impressive. I like him and since being acquired i do track him so i think with work ethic he has a chance of being a backup ala Tim Beckem.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:56 pm

:cry:
Marinerjim11 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:08 pm
Marinerjim11 wrote:

Dont forget that Calfornia League is more of a hitters league, which made what Gilbert did even more impressive. I like him and since being acquired i do track him so i think with work ethic he has a chance of being a backup ala Tim Beckem.
Yeah, but does that account for .110 increase in OPS? Some of that is natural improvement and development being his first year in high A, which is kinda what you expect and hope for. I think there is an obvious change in approach
Last edited by Juliooooo on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marinerjim11

Post by Marinerjim11 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Your probably right, when he first got to Modesto he struggled so obviously the coaching staff gave him some tips.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 am

Caballero off to a good start on his rehab in Arizona.

Bobby Honeyman who was hot last season had a horrendous first month but has been very good last few weeks.

Devin Sweet got away with one a but yesterday but still a lot of SO and Dayeison Arias is still doing very well in relief

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 am

Dipoto on sheffield the other day
“Sheff had a terrible start to his season in Tacoma. It’s been really three different seasons for Justus,” Dipoto said, pointing to the excitement of Sheffield’s performance in spring training, the disappointment of his time with the Rainiers and now a bounce back in Arkansas. “There’s no question he had a really tough start to his season, particularly his command. I think he was trying too hard to impress and show us that that he was worth the value of the trade, so to speak, and he just got outside of himself. We thought it was best to send him back to Arkansas and let him gather himself and save his season because it was trending in the wrong direction.”

Things look a lot better now. Sheffield made his ninth start for the Travelers on Thursday, allowing just one run on five hits and a walk over seven innings while tying his season-high with nine strikeouts. That lowered his numbers with Arkansas to a 1.64 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and .219 opponents batting average.

“He’s been phenomenal,” Dipoto said. “He has regained command of his pitches. We’re seeing that same kind of high-end velocity (we saw in spring training) – he sits around 93-94 mph, touches 96-97 on most nights. He has done a phenomenal job in refining his slider and introducing his changeup. In short, I think Justin Dunn is probably the front-runner to be the Texas League’s Pitcher of the Year this year, and there’s no question that Justus Sheffield has been the best pitcher in that league over the last month and a half since we sent him back from Tacoma.”

Dipoto said there’s really only one question about what’s next for Sheffield.

“His next move is very likely to be to Seattle; it’s just a matter of whether that happens in August and September.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 am
Dipoto on sheffield the other day
“Sheff had a terrible start to his season in Tacoma. It’s been really three different seasons for Justus,” Dipoto said, pointing to the excitement of Sheffield’s performance in spring training, the disappointment of his time with the Rainiers and now a bounce back in Arkansas. “There’s no question he had a really tough start to his season, particularly his command. I think he was trying too hard to impress and show us that that he was worth the value of the trade, so to speak, and he just got outside of himself. We thought it was best to send him back to Arkansas and let him gather himself and save his season because it was trending in the wrong direction.”

Things look a lot better now. Sheffield made his ninth start for the Travelers on Thursday, allowing just one run on five hits and a walk over seven innings while tying his season-high with nine strikeouts. That lowered his numbers with Arkansas to a 1.64 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and .219 opponents batting average.

“He’s been phenomenal,” Dipoto said. “He has regained command of his pitches. We’re seeing that same kind of high-end velocity (we saw in spring training) – he sits around 93-94 mph, touches 96-97 on most nights. He has done a phenomenal job in refining his slider and introducing his changeup. In short, I think Justin Dunn is probably the front-runner to be the Texas League’s Pitcher of the Year this year, and there’s no question that Justus Sheffield has been the best pitcher in that league over the last month and a half since we sent him back from Tacoma.”

Dipoto said there’s really only one question about what’s next for Sheffield.

“His next move is very likely to be to Seattle; it’s just a matter of whether that happens in August and September.”
Man that is refreshing when he doesn't try to spin something. He was terrible. Just say he was terrible. People appreciate that more than spin.
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:39 am

Rainier LH pitcher Anthony Misiewicz almost threw a perfect game today in Tacoma. The only things that stopped him from throwing at least a complete game no-no was a walk in the 4th and pitch count. After 116 pitches he was relieved for the 9th inning by mgr. Darren Brown who bringing in lefty Taylor Guilbeau who promptly gave up a hit. Misiewicz faced one batter over the minimum, 25, in his 8 innings of work. He also tied his career high with 10 strikeouts.

Rainiers won 5-0 on the combined one hitter.
By Shlomo Sprung / MiLB.com | August 4, 2019 9:36 PM

The only thing that could stop Anthony Misiewicz on Sunday afternoon was his pitch count.

The Mariners left-hander threw eight hitless innings and matched his career high with 10 strikeouts as Triple-A Tacoma blanked Iowa, 5-0, at Cheney Stadium. He issued one walk and faced one batter over the minimum.

"When you see him early in the game being able to locate his fastball the way he was, you have a feeling he'll go deep i the game," Tacoma pitching coach Lance Painter said.

Misiewicz (6-6) retired the first 10 Cubs before Johnny Field walked on seven pitches to lead off the fourth. He turned out to be the only baserunner against the southpaw.

"He did a real nice job of being able to use all his pitches," Painter said, "never really got into a situation where he repeated his sequences and just kept the hitters off-balance."

The 24-year-old set down the next 14 batters, striking out Cubs No. 28 prospect Trent Giambrone and ninth-ranked Zack Short to end the eighth. He matched the career high he set on June 4, 2017 for Class A Advanced Modesto.

Misiewicz did not have an inning that required single-digit pitches. He threw 23 in the fourth to raise his total to 61. After Dixon Machado flied to center to end the sixth, the 6-foot-1 southpaw was at 92 pitches. Rainiers manager Daren Brown kept him in the game after an 11-pitch seventh -- his most efficient inning -- brought him to 103 pitches, six short of the career high set on April 23 for Double-A Arkansas.

Painter and his staff knew that Misiewicz had thrown that many pitches in April, but after the seventh, the pitching coach realized that unless the eighth was a quick inning, his no-hit bid would run out of gas.

After Giambrone and Short went down on strikes, the Michigan State product was at 116 pitches and Brown brought on lefty Taylor Guilbeau for the ninth.
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/anthony- ... -309701188
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!