It's time for a little Justus & a Vogelblast Game Thread 8/23

Bil522

Re: It's time for a little Justus & a Vogelblast Game Thread 8/23

Post by Bil522 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:30 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:50 am
Long game. My kids actually did really good though considering. My 2 year old is dancing and loving every time the music comes on. She loved the fireworks and music. Tomorrow morning is going to come really early...
A little bit of Baby Scotch and she will stay asleep until noon.....oh wait maybe the scotch is for you

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:40 am

Bil522 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:30 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:50 am
Long game. My kids actually did really good though considering. My 2 year old is dancing and loving every time the music comes on. She loved the fireworks and music. Tomorrow morning is going to come really early...
A little bit of Baby Scotch and she will stay asleep until noon.....oh wait maybe the scotch is for you
I got to be up by 7 for a conference :(
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:35 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:15 am
bpj wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 am

No, Super Two and the cutoff for losing control happen pretty early in the season. Even with his service days from last season he should be well under.
Sounds like you disagree with Donn.
he is agreeing they would not lose a year of service time...

I understood that was aleady set when they traded for him
“To add three dynamic athletes who are entering the prime of their respective careers, while also maintaining six seasons of club control for each, is very exciting,” Dipoto said. “Justus Sheffield has an unquestionable prospect pedigree. With a combination of high-end velocity to go along with an advanced slider and a developing changeup, we think Justus has a chance to pitch at the upper portion of our rotation soon.
Right, you both seem to agree that bringing him up this year did not change anything. But I thought you were saying that it was because of the Yankees bringing him up last year, and that this had started the clock on his years-in-league tally, while I though bpj was saying that he hadn't appeared in enough games to start that clock.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm

From what I saw Justus had 2.2 innings in 2018.

He was likely a September callup.

When you have to worry is when a guy got brought up sometime around May or June. I don't have time to look up the exact number, but it's all the Super Two or after type of mumbojumbo. "Days of service".

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm

When you have to worry is when a guy got brought up sometime around May or June. I don't have time to look up the exact number, but it's all the Super Two or after type of mumbojumbo. "Days of service".
Well, Sheffield was brought up for one appearance in April this year. I guess what I am really wondering does "is the 6 years of control" represent the maximum number of years that a team can control a player once they are brought up?

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm
bpj wrote:

Well, Sheffield was brought up for one appearance in April this year. I guess what I am really wondering does "is the 6 years of control" represent the maximum number of years that a team can control a player once they are brought up?
They'll get the 6 years plus however many days in the 7th year that avoids losing a year of service time

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 pm

Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm
bpj wrote:

Service time is based on how many days on the mlb roster. 172 days is a full year. There are 187 days in the season. He accrued maybe 2 days for his game in April. He'll accrue about 35 days if he is with the roster the rest of the year. Add that to the time he was up with NY last year. He'd have to be in the minors 16 days PLUS all the time he's already accrued to save a year of service time next year.

He won't be arb eligible until year 3 UNLESS they save a year of service time by him playing in minors next year, then he could be "super 2" arb eligible. The top 22% of players with 2+ years of service time (2 years and less than 172 days) are arb eligible in year 2, and will be for 4 years instead of 3. Typically that is around 2 years and 130 days of service time.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 pm
He'd have to be in the minors 16 days PLUS all the time he's already accrued to save a year of service time next year.
Are you saying he just needs to be with Tacoma/Arkansas for 16 more days? Why didn't they let him stay there another 16 days before bringing him back up then?

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Truthfully, I don't think we will be worrying about six years of team control.
I think he will pan out to be a AAAA player. NY was thinking about making him a relief pitcher. Hence, the trade to Seattle.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:16 pm

The only argument I dont get with Sheffield is that he sucked in AAA because they use the MLB ball now.

But now that he's in MLB using the MLB ball, no, now everything will be fine..

Not sure I love the logic, but at least there's still hope for him until there's not.