D.B. Cooper 50th Anniversary

maoling

D.B. Cooper 50th Anniversary

Post by maoling » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:11 am

Seriously, no one got hurt, except maybe him.

Nobody had ever hijacked a commercial airliner like that before, then strapped on a parachute and jumped from the back door of a 727 with 200 G's. It took Giant Balls. Balls I myself do not possess lol. They even changed the 727 design after that, so passengers couldn't depart from the rear exit during the flight.

I don't mean to make this a race issue, but I believe that bold crime was something only a wormy little white guy could have pulled off, or maybe that nice-looking Denzel Washington or perhaps Wesley Snipes.

Any other locals old enough who remember how Seattle went crazy on this night 50 years ago?

DavidGee24

Re: D.B. Cooper 50th Anniversary

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:56 am

I was at Mount Saint Helens this summer and in looking at all the mountainous forest land, it seems apparent that they're never going to find him.

He might well have never even gotten his chute open. The problem with his plan was that he did it during the winter and jumped out from over two miles up while not wearing winter clothing. He might well have quickly frozen to the point where in holding the money he couldn't pull the cord. And even if he did, he probably landed high in a tree, tangled up in the middle of nowhere, and already nearly frozen to death. He didn't really think it through.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:29 am

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:17 pm

If the FBI believes the hijacker died then shouldn't it have made it fairly easy to figure out who he was? How many men his age and description could have gone missing at that time in the U.S.?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Where did the money come from and how was the airplane even part of the plot???
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:02 pm

There's a summary of the events here...

https://screenrant.com/mystery-d-b-coop ... every/amp/

The last suspect (McCoy) actually did the exact same thing as the Cooper hijacking 5 months later and survived!

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:32 am

Does anyone know why he requested 4 parachutes?

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:12 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:32 am
If I were going to do something like that, I would assume they would be trying to catch me on the ground.

If I thought I may be chased when I jumped I would push a couple people out before I jumped with the belief that they're going to have more trouble dividing up on the ground and tracking which one was the bad guy before I had a chance to slip away.

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 am

Because he kept a flight attendant with him on the flight after he let everyone else off, except for the pilot, first officer and a flight engineer. He made references to authorities about making others jump with him and knew they wouldn't pack an inoperative or dummy parachute if they thought innocent persons were going to make the leap with him.

I think he made it and some of that found money was to throw people off track. I also think he might have had ground help who could have shot a flare or somehow signaled him as he passed overhead with the back door open. He jumped below 10,000 feet at a speed of under 150 knots. Pretty meticulous to think he wouldn't have taken a cold NW night in rough terrain under consideration. Nobody knows what he did all alone preparing to jump. He could have worn a jump suit underneath his suit, could have had a little survival gear or anything. Nobody checked you very well back then.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:33 am

maoling wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 am
Because he kept a flight attendant with him on the flight after he let everyone else off, except for the pilot, first officer and a flight engineer. He made references to authorities about making others jump with him and knew they wouldn't pack an inoperative or dummy parachute if they thought innocent persons were going to make the leap with him.

I think he made it and some of that found money was to throw people off track. I also think he might have had ground help who could have shot a flare or somehow signaled him as he passed overhead with the back door open. He jumped below 10,000 feet at a speed of under 150 knots. Pretty meticulous to think he wouldn't have taken a cold NW night in rough terrain under consideration. Nobody knows what he did all alone preparing to jump. He could have worn a jump suit underneath his suit, could have had a little survival gear or anything. Nobody checked you very well back then.
That makes a lot of sense too. Imagine the outcry these days from the libs if the popo loaded a criminals parachute with a dud.

Probably get sued.