UW Football---APPLE CUP

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Apple Cup week has arrived.

Lot's of great articles on the Huskies:
Apple Cup articles
Articles on whether they should play Sam
Articles on who their coach should be
Articles on Jimmy Lake

Interesting write up on ESPN "most interesting things in rivalry games". You should check it out:

Washington State @ Washington
Better known as: Apple Cup
This year's game: Friday, 5 p.m., FS1
All-time record: Washington, 66-30-4
Current streak: Washington, 7

Wildest on-field moment: When an individual game within a rivalry is branded with its own name, it's a good indicator that something unique took place. For the Apple Cup, the Snow Bowl is that game. After climbing to No. 13 in the AP poll a few weeks earlier, Washington State had lost three of four and entered the 1992 Apple Cup at home against No. 5 Washington. The Huskies had been ranked No. 1 until a loss to No. 12 Arizona two weeks prior but had still already locked up a trip to the Rose Bowl.

It began to snow the morning of the game and really started to come down after kickoff. At halftime, Washington, which was led by quarterback Mark Brunell, led 7-6 at halftime as neither team could find any sort of an offensive rhythm. In blizzard-like conditions in the second half, everything changed. WSU quarterback Drew Bledsoe caught fire and led the Cougars to 29 third-quarter points, including one of the most iconic plays in WSU and Apple Cup history: a 44-yard touchdown pass to Phillip Bobo, who slid into a snowbank underneath the goalpost after making the catch.

Playing in the elements is just one of the many things that can make the Apple Cup great. AP Photo/Ted S. Warren
Strangest off-field moment: A lot of what made the 2002 game strange -- for all the wrong reasons -- technically took place on the field, but not until the game was over. Unranked Washington beat No. 3 Washington State 29-26 in triple overtime in a game that ended when the officials ruled a WSU bubble screen was a backward pass and recovered by Washington. The response from the crowd at Pullman's Martin Stadium was ugly, as fans rained down bottles and whatever else they had at their disposal toward the field. Washington star wide receiver Reggie Williams was pelted with a bottle, and UW athletic director Barbara Hedges stated she "feared for her life," marring the end of one of the best WSU regular seasons in history. -- Kyle Bonagura

Quote that defines the rivalry: "One game doesn't make a season, but the people who say that haven't participated in the Apple Cup." -- former WSU coach Mike Price

I hope they play Huard the entire game.....win or lose. He is guaranteed his redshirt year and with this entire game and the times he has previously played, it will be valuable experience for the young man.

I have to go with my Dawgs by 7....late score.

I've had a yearly bed with my sister-in-law for 8 years now (she is a WSU grad). It's for a half-gallon of quality booze (usually whiskey). I have benefitted with 7 in a row, but I have a healthy supply for her to choose from if the Cougs do win.....and I think they will.

D-train

Re: UW Football---APPLE CUP

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm

Call me crazy but I would rather lose if it results in the Ducks not winning the North. Here are the scenarios.

Ducks win, they are in.

Ducks lose and Cougs lose. Ducks are in.

So I am hoping for the Cougs and Beavs to win to give the Cougs the North title.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm

So I am hoping for the Cougs and Beavs to win to give the Cougs the North title.
Why wouldn't you just want the Beavers to go because the Beavers and Huskies win?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:33 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm

Why wouldn't you just want the Beavers to go because the Beavers and Huskies win?
Jesus how did I F that up. You are right. :oops: lol
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:23 pm

I think the Beaves and Cougs need to win to make a 3-way tie with Oregon.
Beavers have the tie breaker over the ducks
The ducks have the tie breaker over the Cougs
and the Cougs have the tie breaker over the Beavers

But in this scenario, the Beavs have the better record verses the north, so they go to the title game.

I think.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:28 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:23 pm
I think the Beaves and Cougs need to win to make a 3-way tie with Oregon.
Beavers have the tie breaker over the ducks
The ducks have the tie breaker over the Cougs
and the Cougs have the tie breaker over the Beavers

But in this scenario, the Beavs have the better record verses the north, so they go to the title game.

I think.
Nope, in a 3 way, Cougs win out.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:39 am

If the Beavers and Huskies win, it is a two way tie between the OR schools. Beavers win the head to head.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:39 am
If the Beavers and Huskies win, it is a two way tie between the OR schools. Beavers win the head to head.
Yes. That would be fine but I have allegiance to the State of WA and was a Cougs fan before I went to UW so that would be the second best option for me.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Yes. That would be fine but I have allegiance to the State of WA and was a Cougs fan before I went to UW so that would be the second best option for me.
Even after winning 7 straight, and what, 10 out of 11? I don't want to listen to the Coug fans in my area. Can't root for them against the Huskies. Flat out cant.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Since you were generous enough to offer $100 for the first correct guess, I'm going to say that the two guys in your avatar are Eldridge Recasner and Marv Harshman.