Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

JD's rebuild grade so far

A
35%
B
35%
C
24%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

D-train

Re: Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:50 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:32 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 pm

Kelenic bombing is on Kelenic. The trade was great, and 28 other GMs would have done that trade in a heart beat.

The rebuild has been great. He still needs to build a team though to support that rebuild, and hope enough of the young players work out.
100%
I just think it's tough to criticize Dipoto week after the fact for making a trade that everyone agreed with at the time. Again, he went from worst minor league system in baseball to the best in just a few years. It's really amazing what he's done. How is anything other than an A,I have no idea.
Blemishes
1. Giving White a MLB deal. Widely panned at the time.
2. The bad relationship with Seager. Two sides to every story and maybe Seager is a little bitch but just a bad look that doesn't help with luring FAs.
3. Painting himself into a box before the off season ever started with all of the unnecessary proclamations about what he wasn't going to do.
4. Claiming that BP starts were the ONLY possible option in June and July/not trading from Anderson earlier and being too conservative at the deadline. Sticking with Bauers WAY too long.

Definitely an A for the current state of the farm system but that is just one component of the rebuild.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:50 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

100%
I just think it's tough to criticize Dipoto week after the fact for making a trade that everyone agreed with at the time. Again, he went from worst minor league system in baseball to the best in just a few years. It's really amazing what he's done. How is anything other than an A,I have no idea.
Blemishes
2. The bad relationship with Seager. Two sides to every story and maybe Seager is a little bitch but just a bad look that doesn't help with luring FAs.
3. Painting himself into a box before the off season ever started with all of the unnecessary proclamations about what he wasn't going to do.
4. Claiming that BP starts were the ONLY possible option in June and July/not trading from Anderson earlier and being too conservative at the deadline. Sticking with Bauers WAY too long.

Definitely an A for the current state of the farm system but that is just one component of the rebuild.
OK, so#1 is actually a blemish of the rebuild. The rest are not related to the rebuild imo.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:57 pm
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

Blemishes

OK, so#1 is actually a blemish of the rebuild. The rest are not related to the rebuild imo.
2. Might negatively impact the rebuild in the future but yes the Ray signing obviously wasn't impacted by it.
3. This could massively impact the rebuild. Could mean JP instead of Correa and Matt Chapman instead of Matt Olson, Toro instead of JRam and another sub par season out of the catching position.
4. Agree. Only impacted 2021 but could be harbinger of how aggressively he tries to win going forward.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 am
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

Blemishes

2. Might negatively impact the rebuild in the future but yes the Ray signing obviously wasn't impacted by it.
3. This could massively impact the rebuild. Could mean JP instead of Correa and Matt Chapman instead of Matt Olson, Toro instead of JRam and another sub par season out of the catching position.
4. Agree. Only impacted 2021 but could be harbinger of how aggressively he tries to win going forward.
Signing free agents is a whole seperate thing imo. It's the building a contender phase. The rebuild is done, and it was great. Building a contender? That is yet to be seen.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:21 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 am
Juliooooo wrote:

Signing free agents is a whole seperate thing imo. It's the building a contender phase. The rebuild is done, and it was great. Building a contender? That is yet to be seen.
Oh, ok. I see it as the full meal deal but I can see that. Curious how others think about it.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:08 am

I see Jerry’s rebuild as completely dependent on JP Crawford turning out to be what Jerry envisions him as the team leader. It would have been easy for Jerry to shop this off-season and fill that position with a stud...... Since he passed on that he gets all the glory and all the blame. Evan White looked like an upper ownership overreach to some extent, I mean Mathers was convinced he was the perfect first baseman......The pitchers coming up could easily bail him out if 2 or 3 make it. how is it on Kelenic when you brought him up and he craps the bed, floor and kitchen......Jerry left him up there to humble him....can’t be much other reason after the first dozen games....and as leadoff...give me a break

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:32 am

Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 pm

Kelenic bombing is on Kelenic. The trade was great, and 28 other GMs would have done that trade in a heart beat.

The rebuild has been great. He still needs to build a team though to support that rebuild, and hope enough of the young players work out.
100%
Everyone agreed with the Dustin Ackley pick too. Doesn't make it a good one.

Dipoto still hasn't even won the Cano trade. We could use him more than Kelenic about now.

The Mets could ride Cano and Diaz to the playoffs while Kelenic has a .650 OPS in LF 🤢

But, hey, at least our payroll is only 85 mil instead of 110 I guess......

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:39 am

Everyone would be an Awesome GM if they had the benefit of hindsight. Seems most of the 2009 first round was pretty disappointing

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 am

Foresight trumps hindsight. Not everyone had a love affair with Kelenic like you, sexyfan and ISLTM do. Kelenic should still be a top prospect, not a failed one.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220117-180709_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220117-175748_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 am

JK is going to be fine.
It's the expectations of a rookie being a mega stars right out of the gates that will prove to be unrealistic. That is not the norm. It usually takes a year or two.

JD gets an A from me for what he has built and how he had stuck to his plan. I believe better days are coming.