Bowden on key trades

D-train

Bowden on key trades

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 pm

By Jim Bowden 1h ago 8
During the lockout, general managers are prohibited from discussing trades involving players on the 40-man roster with their counterparts, but we’re under no such obligation, so I asked subscribers for their post-lockout trade proposals and hundreds poured in. In our first installment, I responded to trade ideas involving Matt Olson, Bryan Reynolds and Luis Castillo, among others. This time, Josh Hader, Matt Chapman, Ketel Marte, German Márquez and a host of top prospects were targeted in suggested deals. Here are my thoughts on 18 more of your trade proposals.

Brewers trade LHP Josh Hader to Giants for C Joey Bart and RHP Camilo Doval — Jake U.
If I’m the Giants, I’d make this offer. If I’m the Brewers, I’d pass. The Brewers have a legitimate chance to return to the playoffs this year and possibly even win the World Series because they have three aces (Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff and Freddy Peralta) and two impact relievers (Hader and Devin Williams). I say the Brewers keep Hader until next offseason, then deal him. (If you missed it, read this story by The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal on the decision Milwaukee must make with Hader.)

Brewers trade LHP Josh Hader to Mets for INF/OF Jeff McNeil, OF/1B Dominic Smith and RHP J.T. Ginn — Douglas H.
OK, in the previous Hader proposal, I argued the Brewers should retain Hader for another year. But now you’ve made me an offer I can’t refuse (as the Brewers). I think Smith, if given a chance to play first base every day, would hit .300 with 20 home run power and a .350 on-base percentage. McNeil has been a .300 hitter in three of his four big-league seasons, and Ginn projects as a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter. I think this trade is too good for the Brewers to pass up. I’m making it. I’m making it from the Mets’ perspective, too, and think it would be a game-changer for them. Interesting idea, Douglas.

A’s trade 3B Matt Chapman and OF Ramón Laureano to Phillies for 3B Alec Bohm and RHP Andrew Painter — Jim M.
This deal makes a lot of sense for both sides, Jim. What time is the news conference?

A’s trade 3B Matt Chapman and LHP Sean Manaea to Phillies for 3B Alec Bohm, RHP Francisco Morales, LHP Erik Miller and OF Mickey Moniak — Jesus G.
I love this trade from the Phillies’ perspective, but hate it from the A’s point of view, mainly because I don’t value Morales, Miller and Moniak as highly as you apparently do. I also think Oakland would do better trading Chapman and Manaea in separate deals.

Rangers trade 2B/SS Ezequiel Duran and SS Josh Smith to A’s for LHP Sean Manaea — Rob B.
If the A’s trade Manaea, they’ll need to get pitching back in the deal, not two middle infielders who project as second division types. How about a counter of right-handers Cole Winn and Ricky Vanasco for Manaea?

A’s trade RHP Chris Bassitt and LHP Sean Manaea to Angels for LHP Reid Detmers and SS Luis Rengifo — Josh H.
Josh, are you familiar with Supertramp’s song “Dreamer”? That would describe the Angels if they made this offer. This is way too lopsided in their favor.

Yankees trade SS Oswald Peraza, RHP Luis Gil, RHP Yoendrys Gomez and C Austin Wells to A’s for 1B Matt Olson and a pitcher — Greg B.
This trade would land Matt Olson for the Yankees, but the price is too steep from their perspective, unless the pitcher coming back in the deal is Bassitt. Otherwise, I think a package of Peraza and Gil is probably close to a fair offer for Olson; maybe the Yankees would have to throw in righty Randy Vasquez or righty Beck Way to close the deal.

Rockies trade RHP German Márquez and INF Ryan McMahon to Blue Jays for RHP Nate Pearson, SS Jordan Groshans, RHP Adam Kloffenstein and INF/OF Cavan Biggio — Chris W.
Chris, this is a fascinating trade idea and after careful review I’d make it if I’m the Blue Jays. Putting Márquez with Kevin Gausman, José Berríos, Hyun Jin Ryu and Alek Manoah in the rotation would make the Blue Jays my favorites to win the AL East in 2022. McMahon would fill their huge need for a left-handed bat and could be their answer at third base short- and long-term. I also like this deal for the Rockies. Pearson has a chance to dominate at Coors Field by missing bats, and he’s inexpensive compared with Márquez. Groshans and Biggio are everyday players and Kloffenstein profiles as a back-of-the-rotation starter. OK, let me forward this one to the Blue Jays and Rockies to get their opinions …

Mets trade 3B J.D. Davis, SS Ronny Mauricio, RHP J.T. Ginn and LHP David Peterson to Diamondbacks for OF Ketel Marte — Samuel R.
Load up the truck and send the Diamondbacks quantity for quality. I’d make this trade if I’m the Mets, but not if I’m Arizona. Instead, I’d counter with catcher Francisco Álvarez and third baseman Brett Baty for Marte, who is under team control through 2024 with affordable ’23 and ’24 club options.

Giants trade OF Steven Duggar, RHP Sean Hjelle, RHP Gregory Santos and OF Hunter Bishop to Diamondbacks for OF Ketel Marte and LHP Madison Bumgarner — Bob L.
If I’m the Giants, I don’t want Bumgarner and his contract back, not even for sentimental reasons. He’s due $60 million over the next three years. If I’m the Diamondbacks, I’m demanding shortstop Marco Luciano and outfielder Heliot Ramos for Marte.

Diamondbacks trade LHP Madison Bumgarner and cash to Angels for OF Justin Upton and a player to be named — Aaron W.
This is gross, but it makes sense for both teams: bad contract for bad contract. Please get me a throw-up bag if they announce this trade.

Rangers trade SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa and OF Leody Taveras to Yankees for OF Joey Gallo and RHP Domingo Germán — Steven K.
The Yankees would give this one a hard pass. Kiner-Falefa and Taveras aren’t going to hit enough to interest them.

Phillies trade RHP Hans Crouse and another top 20 prospect to White Sox for RHP Craig Kimbrel — Jake U.
First of all, I wouldn’t trade for Kimbrel until I saw him pitch in spring training. Teams need to ensure he’s rebounded from his disappointing second half of 2021 and can regain the form he displayed with the Cubs in the first half of 2021. But even if Kimbrel pitches well in the spring, I wouldn’t do this trade if I’m the White Sox because I’m not convinced Crouse will live up to the hype and I don’t think he’s a good enough prospect to land Kimbrel.

Angels trade OF Jo Adell to Rays for SS Greg Jones — Scott F.
No dice. If I’m the Angels, the only way I trade Adell is if I get a top starting pitching prospect back as part of the return.

Mariners trade OF Cade Marlowe to Rays for OF Kevin Kiermaier — Craig L.
The Rays would make this trade in a heartbeat. First of all, they would get out of paying the approximate $14.7 million they’ll owe Kiermaier this year, which includes the buyout on his 2023 team option. Second, they’d be getting back a player who is an on-base machine and potentially has a 30 home run bat. The Mariners say no to this one.

Mariners trade RHP Emerson Hancock to Cardinals for 3B Nolan Gorman — Kyle D.
As much as I love the left-handed power of Gorman (and it’s the real deal), I’m not trading Hancock if I’m the Mariners because I think their young starting pitching will be key for them over the next five years. So I’d reject the offer from the Mariners’ side, but I’d make it from the Cardinals’ side because of their need for starting pitching.

Cardinals trade SS Paul DeJong to Twins for OF Trevor Larnach — Paul D.
The Twins need a shortstop and have outfield depth, so if I’m them, I would do this deal. But the Cardinals don’t need another outfielder with Tyler O’Neill, Harrison Bader and Dylan Carlson in place for the next couple of years at least.

Royals trade SS Adalberto Mondesi and RHP Jackson Kowar to Angels for either OF Jo Adell and SS Denzer Guzman or OF Brandon Marsh and OF David Calabrese — Booten C.
If Mondesi could stay healthy, he might become an impact player, but that’s a big if. Kowar has a huge arm, and I doubt the Royals would move him. However, I am a fan of Adell and Marsh, and if you want to put both in the deal, I’d sign off on it from Kansas City’s perspective. Otherwise, I think the Angels would have a tough time getting both Kowar and Mondesi in either of your proposals.
dt

D-train

Re: Bowden on key trades

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:35 pm

I posted without reading and then thought there weren't any M's trades but these are two fascinating ones. Not because they will happen but because how much he values our prospects. I would do Hancock for Gorman in a heart beat.

How about you AT??? :)
Mariners trade OF Cade Marlowe to Rays for OF Kevin Kiermaier — Craig L.
The Rays would make this trade in a heartbeat. First of all, they would get out of paying the approximate $14.7 million they’ll owe Kiermaier this year, which includes the buyout on his 2023 team option. Second, they’d be getting back a player who is an on-base machine and potentially has a 30 home run bat. The Mariners say no to this one.

Mariners trade RHP Emerson Hancock to Cardinals for 3B Nolan Gorman — Kyle D.
As much as I love the left-handed power of Gorman (and it’s the real deal), I’m not trading Hancock if I’m the Mariners because I think their young starting pitching will be key for them over the next five years. So I’d reject the offer from the Mariners’ side, but I’d make it from the Cardinals’ side because of their need for starting pitching.
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm

I'd do the Gorman trade in a heartbeat. Look - I love Hancock; yes, he could and should be a key figure in the rotation. But the M's have a lot of pitching prospects, and what they really need is offense, especially in the infield. From what I read, this guy is a stud (.269/.340/.483 in the minors), and he can play 2B or 3B. The Cards are talking about him as a franchise player - he could easily be that for the M's as well - imagine him as our 2B of the future and Marte at SS and France at 1B.

This does push the contention window out a little. He's still in the minors and the Cards are careful not to rush him. He would come up a season or so after JRod, but by then Frazier is gone and there's a lot of room in the infield.

Nothing in baseball is a lock, but this guy seems as solid and predictable as they come. He's going to be a rock star in the majors. So is Hancock. But would I take an infielder with enormous offensive potential every day over an incredible SP who takes the mound once every 5 days? Yes - I'd make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sundays - especially given where our needs are and what pitching potential we have waiting in the wings. Hell, 11 of our top 20 prospects are pitchers!

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:28 pm

Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm
I'd do the Gorman trade in a heartbeat. Look - I love Hancock; yes, he could and should be a key figure in the rotation. But the M's have a lot of pitching prospects, and what they really need is offense, especially in the infield. From what I read, this guy is a stud (.269/.340/.483 in the minors), and he can play 2B or 3B. The Cards are talking about him as a franchise player - he could easily be that for the M's as well - imagine him as our 2B of the future and Marte at SS and France at 1B.

This does push the contention window out a little. He's still in the minors and the Cards are careful not to rush him. He would come up a season or so after JRod, but by then Frazier is gone and there's a lot of room in the infield.

Nothing in baseball is a lock, but this guy seems as solid and predictable as they come. He's going to be a rock star in the majors. So is Hancock. But would I take an infielder with enormous offensive potential every day over an incredible SP who takes the mound once every 5 days? Yes - I'd make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sundays - especially given where our needs are and what pitching potential we have waiting in the wings. Hell, 11 of our top 20 prospects are pitchers!
He turns 22 in a few months and played 76 games in AAA in 2021 so he is about year ahead of JRod in terms of Age and experience. If they decide he is a 2B then he would be perfect to take over for Frazier in 2023 but I don't see any reason why he can't be given a shot to battle it out for 3B in 2022 as long as we sign an experienced bat for the OF. I would FAR prefer him to Chapman for example.
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:28 pm
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:

He turns 22 in a few months and played 76 games in AAA in 2021 so he is about year ahead of JRod in terms of Age and experience. If they decide he is a 2B then he would be perfect to take over for Frazier in 2023 but I don't see any reason why he can't be given a shot to battle it out for 3B in 2022 as long as we sign an experienced bat for the OF. I would FAR prefer him to Chapman for example.
Totally agree. There is a very slim field of 3B free agents in 2023. As I understand it, he's played mostly 3B but they have had him play a lot at 2B. Defensively he's got a lot of growing to do, but his offensive potential more than makes up for it.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:05 pm

I think the Mariners would trade Hancock for Gorman in a heartbeat. I don't think Gorman is a sure thing, at all, but he's a much better bet than Hancock to contribute significantly in the majors. I could also see him simply not hitting in the majors.

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:05 pm
I could also see him simply not hitting in the majors.
Said every talent scout, ever. :P

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:

Gorman has a powerful arm, tailor made for third base, like Trout he is a bit vulnerable to high fastballs but he destroys pitches in the lower half of the zone. His left hand bat gives the M's total balance in the lineup.... I have some concerns about his strikeouts but I trade Hancock for him in a heartbeat. 60 grade power, massive exit velocities, and a solid third baseman. He is not going to play 2nd base. So, yeah.... I reluctantly give up Hancock for him .... and head home with my new pick feeling like i just fleeced the Cardinals....

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:23 pm

AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:15 pm
D-train wrote:
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:

Gorman has a powerful arm, tailor made for third base, like Trout he is a bit vulnerable to high fastballs but he destroys pitches in the lower half of the zone. His left hand bat gives the M's total balance in the lineup.... I have some concerns about his strikeouts but I trade Hancock for him in a heartbeat. 60 grade power, massive exit velocities, and a solid third baseman. He is not going to play 2nd base. So, yeah.... I reluctantly give up Hancock for him .... and head home with my new pick feeling like i just fleeced the Cardinals....
Agree. Guessing the only reason he is playing 2B is because he is blocked by fellow Nolan, Mr. Arenado
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:37 pm

Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:42 pm
D-train wrote:
Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:

Totally agree. There is a very slim field of 3B free agents in 2023. As I understand it, he's played mostly 3B but they have had him play a lot at 2B. Defensively he's got a lot of growing to do, but his offensive potential more than makes up for it.
What a novel concept...Actually have your best prospects play a season in AAA or more......Who does that