Kraken with the 4th pick in the 2022 Draft

Sexymarinersfan

Kraken with the 4th pick in the 2022 Draft

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 11, 2022 11:03 am

I hope they go with D Simon Nemec or C Logan Cooley. C Shane Wright and LW/RW Jurjai Slafkovsky will most likely be off the board.

Our pipeline is razor thin, and I believe we only have one right handed defenseman on our entire roster. Nemec is a blueliner and will have a long lasting high caliber career in my opinion. I believe is the player with the highest ceiling in this draft, and hope he's one of the two names on our card when it comes time to turn it in.

This one's tough because the top defenseman could be either Nemec or David Jiricek and it really comes down to team preference. That being said, Nemec would be fantastic for the Kraken, who obviously have a super-thin pipeline thanks to being in their first year of existence. Nemec is a right-shot, mobile blueliner who can run a power play and give you offense, but he's also solid on the defensive side of things. He's only going to get better and he's already pretty hot. If Seattle needed him sooner than later, I don't think it would be an issue.

DavidGee24

Re: Kraken with the 4th pick in the 2022 Draft

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:03 am
I hope they go with D Simon Nemec or C Logan Cooley. C Shane Wright and LW/RW Jurjai Slafkovsky will most likely be off the board.

Our pipeline is razor thin, and I believe we only have one right handed defenseman on our entire roster. Nemec is a blueliner and will have a long lasting high caliber career in my opinion. I believe is the player with the highest ceiling in this draft, and hope he's one of the two names on our card when it comes time to turn it in.

This one's tough because the top defenseman could be either Nemec or David Jiricek and it really comes down to team preference. That being said, Nemec would be fantastic for the Kraken, who obviously have a super-thin pipeline thanks to being in their first year of existence. Nemec is a right-shot, mobile blueliner who can run a power play and give you offense, but he's also solid on the defensive side of things. He's only going to get better and he's already pretty hot. If Seattle needed him sooner than later, I don't think it would be an issue.
Glad to see you here, but where have you been? I carried the torch all season with contributions from Siberius, and occasionally Darren popped in to laugh at my sorry ass.

Wright is the #1 guy so he's out. At #4 the Kraken should be able to get a future All-Star. In fact, Ron Francis was a #4 overall pick.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat May 14, 2022 1:08 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Glad to see you here, but where have you been? I carried the torch all season with contributions from Siberius, and occasionally Darren popped in to laugh at my sorry ass.

Wright is the #1 guy so he's out. At #4 the Kraken should be able to get a future All-Star. In fact, Ron Francis was a #4 overall pick.
I know, I didn't get to watch as much hockey as I wanted. The NHL needs to pull their heads out of their asses and get a better TV structure. Its so hard watching out of market games down here in Texas.

And yes he was. In fact, Francis was the reason I started watching hockey, and quickly turned my attention towards the Penguins where I became enamored with them and Jaromir Jagr, and my all-time favorite player, Mario Lemeuix.

They better get the 4th pick right, otherwise its going to be a long building process.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:07 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:08 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

I know, I didn't get to watch as much hockey as I wanted. The NHL needs to pull their heads out of their asses and get a better TV structure. Its so hard watching out of market games down here in Texas.

And yes he was. In fact, Francis was the reason I started watching hockey, and quickly turned my attention towards the Penguins where I became enamored with them and Jaromir Jagr, and my all-time favorite player, Mario Lemeuix.

They better get the 4th pick right, otherwise its going to be a long building process.
They need to build a stronger prospect list overall. Thankfully they will have their own team this year which will allow for more help when needed. We need to really hit the draft hard for organizational depth and getting better prospects.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 16, 2022 12:19 am

Bil522 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:07 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:08 am
DavidGee24 wrote:

They need to build a stronger prospect list overall. Thankfully they will have their own team this year which will allow for more help when needed. We need to really hit the draft hard for organizational depth and getting better prospects.
Right. I expect Francis to be very busy in Minor League free agency. They've got what, four 2nd round picks? I don't think they'll move off of the number four spot, but I could see them moving around the rest of the draft board later on. The NHL isn't like the NFL. Teams don't move up and down the board very often.

I think they need to take D Jiricek or Nemec at the number 4 spot. They're the Top 2 Defencemen in this draft, and the drop-off is pretty significant after those two. Plus the 2023 draft is LOADED with forwards. Our pipeline is razor thin as I've said before and this team NEEDS a RH blueliner.

D John Klingbury DAL and C/LW Filip Forsberg NASH are who I would target this offseason in free agency. We have almost $23M in cap space and only 14 of the 25 roster spots under contract. Francis has said he'd like to acquire a Top 6 F and a Top 9 F as well as a Top 4 D. Not saying they would want to come here, but there's a chance.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 16, 2022 1:03 am

Kraken 2022 NHL Draft Target: David Jiříček

The 2022 NHL Draft Lottery has concluded, and as predicted, the Seattle Kraken dropped one spot to fourth overall. Although it is not the outcome they were hoping for, there will be some strong talent available at that spot, including David Jiříček. Here is a look at the big, right-shot defenceman that would fill a big need for Seattle in the future.

David Jiříček Scouting Report

Jiříček is a 6-foot-3, 190-pound two-way defenceman that has shown he can compete against older competition. In 2020-21, he played his first full season in the Czechia top division for HC Plzeň suiting up for 34 regular-season games and two playoff games. Despite only being 17, he played north of 14 minutes per game most games which included some time on the power play, as he finished with three goals and nine points.

This season, Jiříček was able to take another step forward in his development, recording 11 points, including five goals in 29 games. He was averaging around 20 minutes per game for HC Plzeň before an injury at the World Juniors wiped out his entire season. Between Dec. 12, 2021, and May. 5, 2022, he did not play a game for his team or country.

As for his overall game, Jiříček is a future top-pairing defenceman who can transition the puck well while not making mistakes. He can use his big frame to play physically and has no problem separating the opposition from the puck. What makes him such an intriguing prospect, however, is his ability to control the gap between him and the opposition. The ice is smaller in North America, so that is something he will need to adjust to before making the transition to the NHL.

Jiříček vs. Nemec

Potentially both Jiříček and Šimon Nemec will be available at fourth overall. If that happens, the Kraken need to decide which right-shot defenceman fits better. Although it will be a tough decision, the answer may be the Czechian.

Kraken 2022 NHL Draft Target: Šimon Nemec

While both players fill that right-side defensive need, Jiříček looks to have a higher potential in the long run. While Nemec is the more offensive option, Jiříček is the more well-rounded prospect as his overall defensive game is stronger. They are both projected to play at the World Championship this year, which will be a good indication as to which player may have the edge when it comes to draft position.

Where Jiříček Fits with the Kraken

As mentioned, Jiříček fills a big need being a right-shot defenceman. His ability to get the puck out of the zone will be key as the Kraken gave up 669 turnovers, with over 54 percent of them being in the defensive zone. Seattle also needs right-shot defencemen, as it was clear making a left-shot defenceman play the right side was problematic for the team last season.

He could also help the Kraken by taking some of the burden off Adam Larsson. Last season, he averaged over 22 minutes per game. Jiříček is built for the penalty kill and could take over that top spot to give the 11-year veteran some extra rest, especially late in the season.

Just about every big board I've seen has

C Shane Wright
FW Juraj Slakovfsky
C Logan Cooley
D David Jiříček
D Šimon Nemec

Going in their Top 5. The only two players I've seen crack it are C Matthew Savoie(who is only listed at 5'9) who can really put it away, and Joakim Kemell. So their appears to be a significant drop-off in player talent at the 5 spot, which is why I'm ok with either Nemec or Jiříček. Now if Cooley or Slakovfsky happen to magically fall to us at number 4 which I highly doubt it, then I'd go with either one of them over either defencemen.
Attachments
maxresdefault (12).jpg
maxresdefault (11).jpg

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:52 pm

Only 16 days left until the Draft! Heres the latest 2 - Round mock: We have 5 picks in the first two rounds(4, 35, 49, 58, & 61). Exciting!

Today, we’re going to try something new. This will be a two-round mock for the 2022 NHL Draft — however, I will not be the only one making picks. We are bringing in an anonymous hockey ops source from an NHL team with knowledge of the player pool to provide a unique and distinct perspective. They’ll be making every second pick.

The goal was to predict what we think will actually happen on draft day, not who we personally would select at a given spot.

In terms of the ground rules for this draft, no trades were allowed and no discussions about who we were going to pick next were allowed between the two selectors. After a coin flip, the team source got the first pick of the draft, but we decided I would get the first pick of the second round so we could pick for some different teams.

1. Montreal (Pick by NHL Source): Shane Wright, C, Kingston-OHL

This isn’t an easy decision but positional value wins out and building through the middle is a tried and true NHL blueprint. Wright is an advanced two-way center with scoring and playmaking ability, and is NHL-ready. He’s handled the public spotlight well up to this point and seems equipped to handle the pressure that will come with this pick.

2. New Jersey (Pick by Corey Pronman): Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS-Liiga

New Jersey gets a huge winger with NHL speed and skill who can score and is arguably the best player in the draft. He will be a force next to Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier for the next decade.

3. Arizona (Pick by NHL Source): Logan Cooley, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Positional value is a heavily weighed factor in these top picks so expect a run on centers and defensemen high in this draft. Cooley’s fast-paced offense is unparalleled in this class and he should be NHL-ready by spring 2023.

4. Seattle (Pick by Pronman): Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra-Slovakia

Nemec is a potential top-pair defenseman who can play at both ends of the rink, immediately becoming a cornerstone for the expansion-franchise Kraken to build around alongside potential first-line center Matty Beniers.

Simon Nemec. (Mario Hommes / DeFodi Images via Getty Images)
5. Philadelphia (Pick by NHL Source): David Jiricek, RHD, Plzen-Czechia

Jiricek is arguably the best defenseman in this class. He’s close to an NHL-ready right-shot defenseman with size, a bomb of a shot and big hit ability.

6. Columbus (Pick by Pronman): Cutter Gauthier, LW/C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Columbus goes from having little young center depth a few years ago to acquiring Cole Sillinger, Kent Johnson and now the highly talented Gauthier in a span of two years.

7. Ottawa: (Pick by NHL Source): Marco Kasper, C, Rögle-SHL

Kasper is a talented and highly competitive center who saw his stock surge in the SHL playoffs and against men in international play for Austria.

8. Detroit (Pick by Pronman): Joakim Kemell, RW, JYP-Liiga

Detroit is devastated with two centers in Gauthier and Kasper getting picked back to back. Their consolation prize is arguably the best pure goal scorer in the draft.

9. Buffalo (Pick by NHL Source): Kevin Korchinski, LHD, Seattle-WHL

Korchinski’s size, speed, puck play, and offense give him a very high ceiling.

10. Anaheim (Pick by Pronman): Pavel Mintyukov, LHD, Saginaw-OHL

Anaheim loves big, mobile defensemen who can move the puck and that describes Mintyukov in a nutshell. He’s the first Russian off the board, but teams don’t expect him to be dinged too much by his passport.

11. San Jose (Pick by NHL Source): Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg-WHL

Geekie is the big, skilled playmaking center we are all chasing after.

12. Columbus (Pick by Pronman): Lian Bichsel, LHD, Leksands-SHL

Columbus, after adding several top-end forward prospects, pick Bichsel to strengthen their blue line after an early run on defensemen in the top 10. Bichsel is a huge, mobile, physical defenseman who can provide secondary offense.

13. New York Islanders (Pick by NHL Source): Matthew Savoie, C/RW, Winnipeg-WHL

What Savoie lacks in size he makes up for with talent, production and intangibles.

14. Winnipeg (Pick by Pronman): Frank Nazar, C, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Nazar lacks size but has great speed, work ethic and a high skill level. He projects to play down the middle at higher levels and bolsters the Jets’ center depth.

15. Vancouver (Pick by NHL Source): Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden-SHL

Lekkerimaki is perhaps the best goal scorer and one of the most skilled players in this draft.

16. Buffalo (Pick by Pronman): Brad Lambert, RW, Pelicans-Liiga

With their second pick, the Sabres take a swing on one of the best skill/speed combo players in the draft. He had a disappointing season in Finland, but if he turns his game around he could be a legitimate scorer and transition asset.

17. Nashville (Pick by NHL Source): Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk-KHL

In terms of ability and resume, he could be a steal at this point.

18. Dallas (Pick by Pronman): Owen Pickering, LHD, Swift Current-WHL

Pickering joins Miro Heiskanen and Thomas Harley as another young blueliner in the Dallas system, bringing NHL size, mobility and first-pass offense.

19. Los Angeles (Pick by NHL Source): Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Avangard-VHL

He’s one of the best players in this draft period and is worth any passport/health risk at this point. Powerful player and an electric goal scorer.

20. Washington (Pick by Pronman): Nathan Gaucher, C, Quebec-QMJHL

Gaucher is a big center who competes hard and has enough offense to be a top-three line NHL player. He instantly helps Washington’s center depth and can be a complement to forwards Hendrix Lapierre and Connor McMichael.

21. Pittsburgh (Pick by NHL Source): Rutger McGroarty, LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

McGroarty could be a goal-scoring winger who complements Pittsburgh’s star centers on his ELC.

Rutger McGroarty. (Mike Mulholland / Getty Images)
22. Anaheim (Pick by Pronman): Jiri Kulich, LW/C, Karlovy Vary-Czechia

Kulich is a well-rounded forward prospect who can play the middle or wing. He provides quality skill, compete and goal scoring, allowing Anaheim to plug him on a line with different players like Trevor Zegras or Mason McTavish.

23. St. Louis (Pick by NHL Source): Ryan Chesley, RHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Ryan’s regarded as a safe pick and pretty close to NHL-ready because of his skating and defending.

24. Minnesota (Pick by Pronman): Denton Mateychuk, LHD, Moose Jaw-WHL

Minnesota saw as much of Mateychuk as anyone, with prospect Daemon Hunt his teammate on Moose Jaw. They’ve drafted a lot of defensemen recently, but you can never have too many, especially when they are high-end skaters who can make plays like he can, even though he lacks size.

25. Toronto (Pick by NHL Source): Noah Ostlund, C, Djurgarden-Sweden Jr.

Ostlund is a natural center with a lot of skill and hockey sense who saw his stock elevate late with a strong J20 playoff and world U-18s.

26. Montreal (Pick by Pronman): Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgarden-Sweden Jr.

Ohgren is a skilled player who also competes well and can play around the net. He complements the skill and playmaking of Suzuki and Wright and can score a lot of hard-area goals.

27. Arizona (Pick by NHL Source): Maveric Lamoureux, RHD, Drummondville-QMJHL

Lamoureux is a 6-foot-7, right-shot defenseman with good feet and enough puck play and physicality to dream on.

28. Buffalo (Pick by Pronman): Luca Del Bel Belluz, C, Mississauga-OHL

Del Bel Belluz is a highly skilled and intelligent center who scored at a high rate this season. Buffalo has young centers in the organization, but post-Jack Eichel they could always use more.

Luca Del Bel Belluz. (Chris Tanouye / Getty Images)
29. Edmonton (Pick by NHL Source): Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping-Sweden Jr.

Bystedt is a big-bodied, good skating forward who could potentially develop into an offensive centerman.

30. Winnipeg (Pick by Pronman): Julian Lutz, LW, Munchen-DEL

Lutz came on strong toward the end of the year. He’s a big, fast winger who has skill and can shoot the puck.

31. Tampa Bay (Pick by NHL Source): Isaac Howard, LW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Howard’s undersized but is one of the best scorers in this draft.

32. Arizona (Pick by Pronman): Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Back-to-back U.S. NTDP players result in Logan Cooley’s linemate going to Arizona. He provides some hardness and scoring touch.

Round 2
33. Montreal (Pick by Pronman): Reid Schaefer, LW, Seattle-WHL

Schaefer has had an impressive playoff for Seattle. He’s a big winger who plays hard, has some skill and finishing ability and will provide some size and grit to the Habs’ core.

34. Arizona (Pick by NHL Source): Filip Mesar, RW, Poprad-Slovakia

Mesar’s a quick and creative forward who has performed well internationally and against men.

35. Seattle (Pick by Pronman): Jagger Firkus, RW, Moose Jaw-WHL

In Firkus, Seattle gets a pure goal scorer with a high skill level who has put up big numbers in the WHL over the last two seasons.

36. Arizona (Pick by NHL Source): Topias Leinonen, G, JYP-Finland Jr.

Leionen is arguably the best of a weak crop of goalies available this year.

37. New Jersey (Pick by Pronman): Tristan Luneau, RHD, Gatineau-QMJHL

Luneau is a skilled puck-mover with decent size. New Jersey’s biggest organizational needs are more quality defensemen or a goaltender, so the hope is he can be the former.

38. Chicago (Pick by NHL Source): Sam Rinzel, RHD, Chaska-U.S. High School

Rinzel is a big defenseman with good feet and has offensive upside.

39. Ottawa (Pick by Pronman): Elias Salomonsson, RHD, Skelleftea-Sweden Jr.

Salomonsson is one of the better defending and skating defensemen in this draft with a high-end shot from the point. Ottawa has some good, young defensemen coming up, but you can never have too many.

40. Detroit (Pick by NHL Source): Matyas Sapovaliv, C, Saginaw-OHL

Sapovaliv is a tall, savvy two-way center who performed well in Saginaw and internationally.

41. Buffalo (Pick by Pronman): Jack Hughes, C, Northeastern-Hockey East

Hughes is a highly-skilled center with great offensive IQ. He’s a bit of a long-term play, but if you hit on him you could get a legit scorer. Buffalo needs as much offense as they can get.

42. Anaheim (Pick by NHL Source): Mattias Havelid, RHD, Linkoping-Sweden Jr.

Havelid is an undersized D who was excellent in the J20 playoffs and at the world U-18s.

43. Arizona (Pick by Pronman): Owen Beck, C, Mississauga-OHL

Even after adding Cooley, Arizona has a pressing need for center depth in the organization. Beck provides speed, compete and secondary offense down the middle.

44. Columbus (Pick by NHL Source): Adam Sykora, LW, Nitra-Slovakia

Sykora is a high-character and high-energy player who capped off a second-half ascent with an impressive World Championships.

45. Arizona (Pick by Pronman): Tomas Hamara, LHD, Tappara-Finland Jr.

Hamara was quite good at the U18s, displaying NHL mobility and puck-moving ability. Arizona needs as many quality defensemen as they can get.

46. Washington (Pick by NHL Source): Alexander Perevalov, LW, Yaroslavl-MHL

Perevalov is a talented and powerful winger who performed well internationally and in the MHL.

47. Minnesota (Pick by Pronman): Devin Kaplan, RW, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Kaplan is a big winger with a good skill level who can play on both special teams. He will complement some of the high-end skill and IQ types the Wild have drafted in recent years.

48. Vegas (Pick by NHL Source): Rieger Lorenz, LW, Okotoks-AJHL

Lorenz is a big, skilled forward who scored a lot in the AJHL.

49. Seattle (Pick by Pronman): Seamus Casey, RHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

Casey is an excellent skater who can move the puck very well. He adds to a defense group with Nemec and Ryker Evans in the Seattle pool — who both have those attributes.

Seamus Casey. (Russell Hons / CSM via ZUMA Wire) (Cal Sport Media via AP Images)
50. Dallas (Pick by NHL Source): Jani Nyman, LW, Koovee-Mestis

Nyman is a big rig on the wing with soft hands and scoring touch. He led Koovee in scoring this season and performed well internationally.

51. Los Angeles (Pick by Pronman): Lane Hutson, LHD, U.S. NTDP-USHL

The Kings have a deep farm system at all positions so they can afford to take a swing on a guy like Hutson who has high-end skill and hockey sense, but as a 5-foot-8 defenseman, he has a long path to the NHL.

52. Detroit (Pick by NHL Source): Josh Davies, LW, Swift Current-WHL

Davies is a mean, hard-nosed 200-pounder with speed and a big shot.

53. Anaheim (Pick by Pronman): Noah Warren, RHD, Gatineau-QMJHL

Warren is a big, mobile, mean defenseman to play against, and would be a complement to all the great young puck-movers Anaheim has coming or with the team already.

54. Boston (Pick by NHL Source): Josh Filmon, LW, Swift Current-WHL

Filmon is a tall, wiry forward with a versatile, offensive game.

55. Winnipeg (Pick by Pronman): Calle Odelius, LHD, Djurgarden-Sweden Jr.

Odelius is an excellent skater who can make a good first pass. He’ll add young depth to the defense group in Winnipeg and give them highly coveted high-end mobility on the back end.

56. Minnesota (Pick by NHL Source): Ty Nelson, RHD, North Bay-OHL

Nelson is a high hockey-IQ defenseman and is good with the puck.

57. Chicago (Pick by Pronman): Dylan James, LW, Sioux City-USHL

James is a skilled, intelligent, competitive forward who was a big part of Sioux Falls winning a USHL title.

58. Seattle (Pick by NHL Source): Mats Lindgren, LHD, Kamloops-WHL

Lindgren is an offensive stick on the backend with puck-carrying and PP ability.

59. Calgary (Pick by Pronman): Simon Forsmark, LHD, Orebro-SHL

Calgary has invested several high picks recently at forward, so we’re upgrading their defense depth by adding a good-sized defender in Forsmark who can move the puck and make stops.

60. Carolina (Pick by NHL Source): David Goyette, C, Sudbury-OHL

Carolina calls timeout. Goyette is a skilled and creative centerman.

61. Seattle (Pick by Pronman): Tyler Brennan, G, Prince George-WHL

Seattle adds one of the two top-tier netminders in this draft. Brennan is a big, highly-polished and intelligent goalie.

62. Montreal (Pick by NHL Source): Ryan Greene, C, Green Bay-USHL

Greene is a balanced two-way center who was recently invited to Canada’s World Junior camp.

63. New York Rangers (Pick by Pronman): Topi Ronni, C, Tappara-Finland Jr.

Ronni is a big center with good puck skills and vision who can play at both ends of the ice. The Rangers could use more young depth down the middle and he’d be a quality add at No. 63.

64. Ottawa (Pick by NHL Source): Bryce McConnell-Barker, C, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL

McConnell-Barker is a lengthy center with deceptive speed and scoring ability. He took advantage of an increased role due to Tanner Dickinson’s injury and elevated his stock down the stretch.

65. New York Islanders (Pick by Pronman): Kasper Kulonummi, RHD, Jokerit-Finland Jr.

The Islanders have a lot of farm needs, so adding a right-shot defenseman with good mobility, puck skills and hockey sense who can defend is a good place to start on replenishing the system.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:21 am

RF has never drafted a 1st Rd pick under 6'1 so I would expect Jiricek to be the pick.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:12 am

Bil522 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:21 am
RF has never drafted a 1st Rd pick under 6'1 so I would expect Jiricek to be the pick.
I'm cool with either D-man. Both have their positives and are head and shoulders above the next tier down.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:49 pm

Nemec is the superior goal scorer and has the higher floor, while Jiricek has the highest upside in my opinion.