Oh Boy its on!

SeattleAddict

Re: Oh Boy its on!

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat May 14, 2022 11:06 pm

trharder wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:46 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:00 pm
In addition to QB, we lost a first ballot HOF MLB, the guy that made all the defensive calls. We lost a potential HOF left tackle. Both were Pro Bowlers last year. We also lost our veteran right tackle, our far-and-away best CB, starting center, best pass rusher, starting TE, and two more DEs that took a lot of snaps. I might throw Carson in there, too - assuming he's done, we lose our best RB, too. That is a LOT to replace with unproven rookies to say we're even AS GOOD, much less BETTER, and a far cry from SIGNIFICANTLY better. Other than Nwosu, I don't think any free agent signings are impact players, much less upgrades. Blythe might be a slight upgrade IF he has anything left.
So, we lost our best O-lineman, our best D-lineman, our best TE, our best CB, our best LB, and we just tossed aside the "other than QB", where to use Madden ratings, in the most important position on he field we went from a 95 to a 70 (I know Madden ratings don't mean anything, but using it to emphasize the huge drop here). The QB makes players better or worse - with that kind of drop off, do you think Lockett and DK will look better or worse?
Bobby was one of the best, but he was tailing off. He was a sure tackler last year, but he no longer made big plays.
Duane Brown was old AF. It was just time.
Brandon Shell was just a guy. Currently still a FA.
We lost DJ Reed to a 3yr $33mill deal. The Seahawks originally claimed him off waivers.
I don't even know who the center was.
Who was this pass rusher - Dunlap?
Gerald Everett was inconsistent on a good day and single handedly lost us a game.

The 2021 team was old and uninspired. A hypothetical status quo 2022 Seahawk team would have been no better and likely worse.
But the point was whether or not the team was "significantly better" and I'm saying there's no way to say that. All of those players, even if mediocre, have to be replaced, and are those replacements better? All those rookies have never played a snap in the NFL, and rookies often don't produce - ESPECIALLY in the first year. Bobby may have been tailing off - from best in the game to 2nd team All-Pro. You can't just shrug that off. Brown is old, but still made the Pro Bowl at one of the most difficult-to-replace positions in the game. Shell was a mediocre veteran - but how many of our recent draft picks have been better than mediocre veterans?? DJ Reed was EASILY the best CB we had, and Dunlap was EASILY the best pass rusher.

I could go on and on, but the point is the only way this roster is better is if all the rookies play at or above the level of the people they replace, and THAT is a tall ask. Now, if the argument was that the team got younger and the future looks promising (save for QB), then I'd agree. For THIS year, though, the roster is NOT better, and definitely not significantly better.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 14, 2022 11:51 pm

Ok I will give you the "significantly" was over the top. I think this team will be better and might sneak into the playoffs 2010 style.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sun May 15, 2022 12:33 am

D-train wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:51 pm
Ok I will give you the "significantly" was over the top. I think this team will be better and might sneak into the playoffs 2010 style.
Seattle is significantly better positioned for the future - especially for about two years out. They purged all the aging vets and those contracts, they have gotten younger, cheaper, faster. All those players they purged HAD TO BE PURGED. This notion that because they were all pro 'back in the day' that they were performing that way now - is absurd. There is no value in an aging Bobby or KJ - get the kids in there - that is the future.

Seattle is in a similar position to that 2010 franchise that PC and JS turned over - except this version has exponentially more talent RIGHT NOW. That offense has a LOT of weapons and so does that defense. I am still baffled that people must somehow believe Seattle was going to make some kind of run this season with all those played out vets. That's delusional.

I do think this team is significantly better on many levels; the roster, the coaching staff, purging Wilson and his lack of motivation and his impending contract drama. Imagine Denver - however they perform this season - they are going to be held hostage next off season by Wilson. We are free of that. And for those lamenting Wilson's departure - WTF has he done in the last five years? He shit the bed against the lambs after going 12-4 because he was completely unprepared, as soon as the MVP chants faded he checked out, and the minute defenses went to a cover two - Wilson was completely lost.

I would definitely say this team is significantly better. With the perfume-shiller gone, Seattle now knows exactly who they are, what they are doing, where they are going, and they still have killer draft capitol coming up next year.

This is exactly what I wanted. Wilson was taking this team no where this year - he's like a fucking albatross dragging the franchise down because idiot pundits think he's the Wilson from 10 years ago who was interested in football and not celebrity.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun May 15, 2022 1:17 am

D-train wrote:
I'm gonna wait until the 53-man rosters are set before I go gambling on their win total.

But no way this team makes 7 wins. Not even fathomable.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 15, 2022 3:04 am

By all means replace brown and shell in the draft, but that's not the same as getting improved oline performance coming out of the gate playing a pair of rookies. We will see how the line looks. I will eat crow if there is no need for excuses, they need time to get up to speed with the NFL game

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 15, 2022 10:17 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:04 am
By all means replace brown and shell in the draft, but that's not the same as getting improved oline performance coming out of the gate playing a pair of rookies. We will see how the line looks. I will eat crow if there is no need for excuses, they need time to get up to speed with the NFL game
This will be a great case study to see if the gap between the SEC and NFL is bigger or smaller than AAA and the major leagues. I can see it if Lucas struggles coming from the Pac 12 but will be shocked if Cross doesn't at least hold his own.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 15, 2022 10:18 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:17 am
D-train wrote:
I'm gonna wait until the 53-man rosters are set before I go gambling on their win total.

Screen shot and saved for posterity. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 15, 2022 12:40 pm

Wait, I thought the NFL schedule makers primary motivation was hate of the Seahawks. LOL. Btw a business trying to make their product as intriguing as possible to increase interest and create as many customers as possible is called marketing and is one of the pillars of capitalism. I don't see a problem with it.
By JOSH DUBOW
The Associated Press
When the NFL schedule makers started to dig in after the Super Bowl on putting together the complex puzzle of a 272-game schedule, Tom Brady had just retired, Russell Wilson was in Seattle and the free-agent frenzy hadn’t even started.

After sifting through more than 100,000 schedules out of a possibility of more than one quadrillion possibilities, the final schedule that the NFL released on Thursday had Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Wilson and his new team in Denver getting prime-time television windows in Week 1.

The Bucs were given the opening Sunday night spot against the Dallas Cowboys, while Wilson’s debut for the Broncos will come against his former Seahawks team in Seattle in the opening Monday night game.

“In the old days, building this thing by hand, we might have been in Week 8 or 9 by the time we got Russell Wilson moving to Denver,” NFL Vice President of Broadcast Planning Mike North said. “Maybe we could have adjusted one or two things, but maybe not a wholesale stop and restart. Now thanks to the the way the technology enables us to attack this process, we could stop, take a break, re-evaluate and talk to our partners, talk to our bosses and start all over again and within a couple of days we had a whole new path and a whole new plan that would maximize each of those Denver games, each one of those Tampa Bay games.

“We probably weren’t going to do that before those quarterbacks moved.”

While changes in free agency and the draft are always a factor the schedule makers have to deal with, this year’s retirement switch by Brady and new homes for Wilson and Deshaun Watson were higher-profile ones that had a large impact on the schedule.

The Broncos and Bucs were among the 13 teams that got the maximum five prime-time windows, along with Super Bowl participants the Rams and Bengals, and other big-draw teams such as Buffalo, Dallas, Kansas City, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England and the Chargers.

North said other deals such as Tyreek Hill’s trade from Kansas City to Miami also played a role in the schedule with the Dolphins’ game against Pittsburgh 50 years after they beat the Steelers in the AFC title game in their perfect season solidifying its spot as a Sunday night game in Week 7.

What once was done by hand on a cork board by one NFL executive is now handled by a cloud of computers provided by Amazon that can run through all sorts of permutations each night before the league picks the one schedule it believes optimizes as best as possible fairness to both teams and network TV partners.

The league tries to balance which networks get the most high-profile games. A Bills-Chiefs playoff rematch was given to CBS; a matchup between Brady and Patrick Mahomes will be played on Sunday night for NBC; an NFC championship game rematch between the Rams and 49ers goes to ESPN on Monday night; Amazon gets flashy quarterbacks Mahomes and Justin Herbert for the first game of its new exclusive Thursday night package; and Fox gets what could be the final game between Brady and Aaron Rodgers for its doubleheader package.

The computers also have to sift through about 26,000 “rules” put in place to deal with stadium conflicts, international travel before and after the five games played in England, Mexico and Germany and trying to spread out the “pain” of schedule inequities like long road trips or the amount of games played against teams coming off byes.

“It’s, you know, a miracle, frankly, that we ever got one done by hand,” North said. “The software, the hardware, the technology, the search engine, the AWS cloud computers, they allow us to look at an awful lot more options. We still would have landed on one then hopefully that we would have been proud of. But it’s a very different process and we really couldn’t do it without the technology that’s available to us.”

There were a few quirks to the schedule such as the Bengals playing all three road division games in prime time and the Patriots playing four straight prime-time games. North said the issue with Cincinnati was the league wanted them to play in prime time against Miami and Buffalo and those were at home, leading to the other games going on the road.

The Patriots and Bills were both slotted early into the Thanksgiving schedule with New England playing Minnesota at night. With two of the six teams playing on Thanksgiving typically playing the next Thursday night as well, the NFL opted for a Patriots-Bills game.

The Patriots also requested back-to-back games out West, and the NFL slotted the Arizona and Las Vegas games the following two weeks and picked those for prime time.

Another quirk: The New York Jets open their season with games all against the AFC North: home vs. Baltimore, at Cleveland, home vs. Cincinnati and at Pittsburgh. The only other teams to open a season against an entire division since the league’s expansion to 32 teams were New Orleans in 2004 and the Giants in 2002 — both vs. the NFC West.

This year’s schedule has a few new wrinkles from a tripleheader on Christmas Day to a staggered Monday night doubleheader in Week 2 with a Tennessee-Buffalo game starting at 7:15 p.m. ET on ESPN and a Minnesota-Philadelphia game starting at 8:30 p.m. on ABC.

This is a change from previous years when ESPN aired a Week 1 doubleheader with the games being played back to back with the second game starting at 10:20 p.m. ET

“We’ll learn a little something from this year,” North said. “We’ll see what the fans tell us. And then next year, when we’ve got three such opportunities to have ESPN and ABC side by side, we might try three different ways.”
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun May 15, 2022 4:53 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:17 am

They play Atlanta, Detroit, Giants, Jets and Panthers. That's 5 of the worst teams in the league. Assuming we don't suck WORSE than them, they'd only have to pull off two other wins, which in the NFL is almost a guarantee. Even the most awful teams win a couple, and this team isn't that bad. It really puts in perspective how bad the oddsmakers think we'll be - the over/under is 5.5 wins, and we play 5 patsies. Damn.

All of it hinges on QB and whether Hurtt is an upgrade over Norton. I have very little confidence in Lock, and still think Geno beats him out. With Geno, I think we're a 7-8 win team, which is almost worst case scenario. With Lock, we might be 4 wins or 11, depending how he does.

I just watched the Titans game from week 2, when Henry ran for like 200 yards in the second half. Bobby had 20 some tackles and was everywhere, and we still gave up 600 yards and a bunch of points, but kept holding them to field goals. That bend- but-don't-break thing is just infuriating.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 15, 2022 5:23 pm

Wow, 5.5 is crazy. To lose we would have to go 5-12. Most Losses PC has ever had in a season is 10. 6-10 in 1994 his first season and 7-10 last season.
dt