INJURIES / COVID / ROSTER UPDATES - Seattle Mariners

GL_Storm

Re: INJURIES / COVID / ROSTER UPDATES - Seattle Mariners

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 am

ddraig wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:45 am
Vancouver would add more money to the AL coffers than would Portland. You would have a geographic rivalry with Seattle, plus a national rivalry with Toronto! Sure, we have fans in Vancouver, but there are far more Blue Jay fans up there. Then too, travel for the Jays would be more efficient, or for that matter, any team coming up here. A three game set in Vancouver and another three games here would be preferable over Portland.
There's no such thing as "AL coffers". It's just MLB now.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:06 am

I've not heard the slightest peep anywhere about expansion to Vancouver, BC, and so I doubt there's even an ownership group ready to go up there. I think from the MLB perspective, Vegas and Montreal are the two priorities. But if they end up going to the A's and Rays, I hope Portland is next on the list.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:10 am

It's been mentioned

A
.MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred spoke about the goal of the league expanding to 32 teams. The NFL has been there for years and the NHL is headed there with the Seattle franchise set to join the league in 2021-22. He mentioned Vancouver, along with Mexico City, Montreal, Nashville, Portland, Vegas, and Charlotte as some feasible locations for future expansion.
https://bluejaysnation.com/2020/02/27/m ... iscussion/

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:01 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:06 am
I've not heard the slightest peep anywhere about expansion to Vancouver, BC, and so I doubt there's even an ownership group ready to go up there. I think from the MLB perspective, Vegas and Montreal are the two priorities. But if they end up going to the A's and Rays, I hope Portland is next on the list.
Wasn't the attendance at Expos games pretty low. If they were going for a city in Canada i would think Vancouver would be most likely to work.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:01 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Wasn't the attendance at Expos games pretty low. If they were going for a city in Canada i would think Vancouver would be most likely to work.
Montreal Metro is 4 mil vs. 2.4 mil for VBC but year are right. attendance was horrid. btw check out who was #1 in attendance.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2001
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:24 pm

Mitch is alive.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:34 pm

So August 1st is a possibility?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:37 pm

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:34 pm
So August 1st is a possibility?
of 2023. Some guy on twitter said he will be back in time for Winker to serve his suspension. :lol:
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:52 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
I think it was Manfred that was saying they want to go into Montreal again. My guess is they want it for the size of the market, and of course it would be contingent on a stadium deal being in place.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:56 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:52 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
I think it was Manfred that was saying they want to go into Montreal again. My guess is they want it for the size of the market, and of course it would be contingent on a stadium deal being in place.
Yeah they played in Olympic Stadium which was built for the 1976 games. Horrible for baseball.
dt