Stone on the debacle

D-train

Re: Stone on the debacle

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:01 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:56 pm
The thing driving me crazy is all the dogs arguments people are making "yordan boots lefties better than righties". Go look at the stats and his OPS and SLG are higher against righties. One guy even tried to use WRC+, which is comparing how he hits vs other players against lefties to prove why he hits Lefties better than righties.

"Yordan has smashed Robbie Ray". 1 guy posted an erroneous stat, and everyone ran with it. He is 1/3 with a single and 2 BB against Ray in his career.

I get the argument for using Swanson, but he was a very risky choice as well.
Any pitcher in the world vs. Yordan is risky. The point is he was FAR less risky than Ray and you just made him less risky by pointing out that Yordan hits lefties better than righties.

I would have prob walked Yordan and gone Swanson vs. Bregman which gives you about an 80% chance of winning the game and even a walk doesn't cough up the lead.

Was definitely correct to pull Sewald.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:01 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
The thing driving me crazy is all the dogs arguments people are making "yordan boots lefties better than righties". Go look at the stats and his OPS and SLG are higher against righties. One guy even tried to use WRC+, which is comparing how he hits vs other players against lefties to prove why he hits Lefties better than righties.

"Yordan has smashed Robbie Ray". 1 guy posted an erroneous stat, and everyone ran with it. He is 1/3 with a single and 2 BB against Ray in his career.

Any pitcher in the world vs. Yordan is risky. The point is he was FAR less risky than Ray and you just made him less risky by pointing out that Yordan hits lefties better than righties.

I would have prob walked Yordan and gone Swanson vs. Bregman which gives you about an 80% chance of winning the game and even a walk doesn't cough up the lead.

He doesn't hit lefties better than righties though, that's my point.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm

Servais and Dipoto got cute at the wrong time.

Don't stick with what got you here, no, use your $100M man as a reliever for the first time.... makes sense...

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:01 pm
Juliooooo wrote:

Oh my bad. Aren't they about they same?
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:05 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm

Don't stick with what got you here, no, use your $100M man as a reliever for the first time.... makes sense...
What got them there was Munoz and Seawald. That's what they went with. After those 2 screwed up, they were down to an emergency option.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Oh my bad. Aren't they about they same?
Similar. Higher OPS and SLG against righties though, which I've been told hundreds of times in this board is more important than simple BA.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:08 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
bpj wrote:

What got them there was Munoz and Seawald. That's what they went with. After those 2 screwed up, they were down to an emergency option.
Yeah, and what finished them off was Servais decision and Ray not pulling it off.

In Home games, Alvarez had a 1.070 OPS vs. LHP and a .982 OPS vs. RHP.

There wasn't really a "right" answer against Alvarez.

But, turns out there was a "wrong" answer, and that was putting your starting pitcher in as a reliever for the first time in that situation.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:09 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:03 pm

But some angry fan tweeted it, and he also tweeted that he had some kind of .800 plus OPS, which I think you debunked also, correct?

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:09 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:08 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
bpj wrote:

Yeah, and what finished them off was Servais decision and Ray not pulling it off.

In Home games, Alvarez had a 1.070 OPS vs. LHP and a .982 OPS vs. RHP.

There wasn't really a "right" answer against Alvarez.

But, turns out there was a "wrong" answer, and that was putting your starting pitcher in as a reliever for the first time in that situation.
The right answer was to avoid Alvarez. Munoz and Seawald screwed up to put them in that situation.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:09 pm

bpj wrote:

I have been thinking about your post from before the game yesterday: :cry:
The Mariners don't always function as sport second, I think that's why many are surprised.

They've always been loyal to money-owed first and foremost.

It's refreshing to see them alter course and put winning first.
dt