Carlos Correa to Richen Pool of FAs

bpj

Re: Carlos Correa to Richen Pool of FAs

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:52 pm

If it was up to the "Draw more walks!" crowd, Alvarez would have let the pitch go by in the name of plate discipline.

:roll: :lol:

Why are they throwing Alvarez the same pitch twice in a row? Wasn't the complaint about Ray that he did the same thing?
Attachments
Screenshot_20221014-095118_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20221014-095118_DuckDuckGo.jpg (425.88 KiB) Viewed 290 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:03 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:52 pm
If it was up to the "Draw more walks!" crowd, Alvarez would have let the pitch go by in the name of plate discipline.

:roll: :lol:

Why are they throwing Alvarez the same pitch twice in a row? Wasn't the complaint about Ray that he did the same thing?
Or at least throw the EXACT same pitch which was lower and more outside...

Billions of humans on the earth and he is probably the only on that can hit a HR on that pitch. Just unreal.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:03 pm
Billions of humans on the earth and he is probably the only on that can hit a HR on that pitch. Just unreal.
I said the same thing when they showed the replay. He hit THAT pitch out? The guy is amazing.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:46 pm

One further note, over the last 4 full seasons, these guys have averaged:

Baez: (17.9 total WAR/4) = 4.48 WAR/yr
T. Turner: (20.1/4) = 5.03
X. Bogaerts: (20.8/4) = 5.2
C. Correa: (17.8/4) = 4.45
D. Swanson: (13.1/4) = 3.28

Their ages:
Baez: 29y, 11m
Turner: 29y, 4m
Bogaerts: 30y, 1m
Correa: 28y, 1m
Swanson: 28y, 8m

Further investment required:
Baez: $0
All Others (except Swanson): $300M

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:50 pm

Looks like XB wants to stay in Boston....

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2022/10 ... tstop.html
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:51 pm

Would be cool to have another X man...
dt

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:01 pm

bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:49 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:29 am
If Detroit deals him, which they should, Javier Baez will be an albatross to whichever team takes that contract. He's the type of player second division teams sign when they're desperate to prove to their fans that they're serious about winning.

Right now, we're reeling from having run straight into Yordan Alvarez, the monster that haunts pitcher's dreams. The answer isn't to bring in some overrated strikeout lord that can't take a walk and then be burdened with that salary for the next five years while the player slowly declines from plus to average to bad and then finally gets released with a year and a half left on his deal. That's not a smart move.

This is not to say that I know what the smart moves are. Trading for Ian Happ might be a good one. I also wonder how the Cubs are feeling about Seiya Suzuki. I think getting at least one elite reliever would make sense. Ideally, several bullpen upgrades would happen. Look for the teams that are in limbo right now, like both Chicago teams, Minnesota, Milwaukee, KC, maybe Tampa Bay.

I'd love to see them sign Josh Bell but the one thing that worries me about that is the general lack of enthusiasm for the player, despite pretty good numbers in 2021 and 2022. Washington basically gave him away as a sweetener in the Juan Soto deal and I just wonder what the issue there is.
The proposal I made was a ~$0 net difference compared to what they're paying now to Marco/Flexen/Winker/White- none of whom are doing us any good- with Detroit picking up the tab on Baez's final ~two years so if he declines further, dump him.

If they think they're going to get a higher return from Marco/Flexen/Winker/White for the same $'s than what they'll get from Baez, by all means, keep them.

It's basically an answer to the, "Well who's going to take on Marco and Flexens salary" question. There are viable scenarios out there.

Comes down to, Is Baez more valuable to us at a cost of $80M, or are Marco/Flexen/Winker/White more valuable to us for $80M?

Probably neither. But since it's a one or the other proposition- and the money is already spent essentially- I'd take Baez and the 3 vacant spots on the 40 man roster where they can add more talent. Even if he ends up as your UTIL by the end, that's probably more of a return than we're going to see from the other 4 guys.
I believe you are severely undervaluing Marco and Flexen as pitchers, they have quite a bit of value, their contracts are not even close to be an albatross especially with what contracts going for now. Plus they are 1 and 2 years left not long term like Baez

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:25 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:01 pm
bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:49 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:29 am
If Detroit deals him, which they should, Javier Baez will be an albatross to whichever team takes that contract. He's the type of player second division teams sign when they're desperate to prove to their fans that they're serious about winning.

Right now, we're reeling from having run straight into Yordan Alvarez, the monster that haunts pitcher's dreams. The answer isn't to bring in some overrated strikeout lord that can't take a walk and then be burdened with that salary for the next five years while the player slowly declines from plus to average to bad and then finally gets released with a year and a half left on his deal. That's not a smart move.

This is not to say that I know what the smart moves are. Trading for Ian Happ might be a good one. I also wonder how the Cubs are feeling about Seiya Suzuki. I think getting at least one elite reliever would make sense. Ideally, several bullpen upgrades would happen. Look for the teams that are in limbo right now, like both Chicago teams, Minnesota, Milwaukee, KC, maybe Tampa Bay.

I'd love to see them sign Josh Bell but the one thing that worries me about that is the general lack of enthusiasm for the player, despite pretty good numbers in 2021 and 2022. Washington basically gave him away as a sweetener in the Juan Soto deal and I just wonder what the issue there is.
The proposal I made was a ~$0 net difference compared to what they're paying now to Marco/Flexen/Winker/White- none of whom are doing us any good- with Detroit picking up the tab on Baez's final ~two years so if he declines further, dump him.

If they think they're going to get a higher return from Marco/Flexen/Winker/White for the same $'s than what they'll get from Baez, by all means, keep them.

It's basically an answer to the, "Well who's going to take on Marco and Flexens salary" question. There are viable scenarios out there.

Comes down to, Is Baez more valuable to us at a cost of $80M, or are Marco/Flexen/Winker/White more valuable to us for $80M?

Probably neither. But since it's a one or the other proposition- and the money is already spent essentially- I'd take Baez and the 3 vacant spots on the 40 man roster where they can add more talent. Even if he ends up as your UTIL by the end, that's probably more of a return than we're going to see from the other 4 guys.
I believe you are severely undervaluing Marco and Flexen as pitchers, they have quite a bit of value, their contracts are not even close to be an albatross especially with what contracts going for now. Plus they are 1 and 2 years left not long term like Baez
I don't believe I'm undervaluing them. They're replacement level pitchers that can get a team through the season and best I can tell they're owed $43M over the next 3 seasons.

Flexens contract prior to the price doubling ran for 3+ more years. Not much info out there what it is now that he hit the vesting option, but assuming it's still 3 years @ $8M, that would mean $43M still owed to Marco/Flexen combined over the next 3 years.

So whatever value they do have they're being fairly compensated for, and then some.

Add Winkers and Whites contracts on, and by the time the Tigers pick up the tab ($40M) for what's left over on Baez's contract, it's pretty even.

Just depends on whether we need innings from Marco and Flexen (I think we do not) or believe Winker/White will bring any value.

Given our needs, and the fact that the proposal I laid out has the last two years paid by the Tigers, the upside is bigger with Baez imo.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:51 pm

How it breaks down-

2023:
Marco- $6.75M
Flexen- $8M
Winker- $8.25M
White- $3M
TOTAL: $26M

Baez: $23.3M

2024:
Marco- $12.25M
Flexen- $8M
White- $7M
TOTAL: $27.25M

2025:
Flexen- $8M
White- $8M
TOTAL: $16M

2026:
Baez: $23.3M ($20M paid by Tigers)

2027:
Baez: $23.3M ($20M paid by Tigers)

Maybe they pay more or less than $40M, but as far as win-win-win for all three trading partners, I think it does.

In my opinion it seems like it fills a vital hole we do have (whether its 2B or UTIL to replace Toro) by exchanging guys who are basically on our roster bubble.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:28 pm

I would keep Flexen as the fifth starter and go all in on FA SS Bell and trade for Reynolds...

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/market-valu ... /1st-base/
dt