5-12-19 Mothers Day Game Thread

Hy Feiber

Re: 5-12-19 Mothers Day Game Thread

Post by Hy Feiber » Sun May 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Just pondering the effect of Zunino’s loss on the pitching.

With Zunino, I recall last year’s W-L record was roughly 24 games over .500.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:41 pm

I thought we underestimated Zunino's catching ability altogether. He's hitting about .220 for Tampa so far, i would have been happy with that.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Hy Feiber wrote:

Not just zunino, but Seager as well. Having a good defensive 3B could save a lot of runs. Defense in general has really hurt the pitching.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 12, 2019 9:01 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:31 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 pm
Who was it that just couldn't wait until Altavilla was called up again? LOL
D-Train...

You were clamoring for Markel. How'd he do?

It looked like the M's were struggling with the mound.
Touche but Markel had an ERA of 0.52 this season with 35Ks in 17 innings. As Julio mentioned Altavilla got shelled in AAA this season.
dt

:::

Post by ::: » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Hard to say on Zunino. Staff always complimented hm on how handled pitchers, framed the plate, etc. but that could have been a bit of puffery. Felix preferred to pitch to other catchers - might say more about Felix than Zunino, who knows? Agree that some aspects of his game might have been under rated while he was here but one area I thought he was over rated on was passed balls/wild pitches and I don't think the stats tell the true story in his case. Always seemed to me that there were a lot of box scored "wild pitches" he missed that other catches would bave gotten.

I view the Zunino trade as a three way with the Rays and the White Sox. We sent Zunino and his $4.5 M price tag plus Colome and his $8 M price tag in return for Narvaez and Smith. I think the jury is far from out on this one.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm
Hard to say on Zunino. Staff always complimented hm on how handled pitchers, framed the plate, etc. but that could have been a bit of puffery. Felix preferred to pitch to other catchers - might say more about Felix than Zunino, who knows? Agree that some aspects of his game might have been under rated while he was here but one area I thought he was over rated on was passed balls/wild pitches and I don't think the stats tell the true story in his case. Always seemed to me that there were a lot of box scored "wild pitches" he missed that other catches would bave gotten.

I view the Zunino trade as a three way with the Rays and the White Sox. We sent Zunino and his $4.5 M price tag plus Colome and his $8 M price tag in return for Narvaez and Smith. I think the jury is far from out on this one.
Don't forget the future CF Fraley...
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Post by ::: » Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:01 pm
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:31 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:19 pm
Who was it that just couldn't wait until Altavilla was called up again? LOL
D-Train...

You were clamoring for Markel. How'd he do?

It looked like the M's were struggling with the mound.
Touche but Markel had an ERA of 0.52 this season with 35Ks in 17 innings. As Julio mentioned Altavilla got shelled in AAA this season.
Kind of frustrating. Two years ago it looked like Dipoto might be on the verge of developing this dominating bullpen anchored by Diaz with support from Altavilla, Zych, and Povse (whom they considered for the pen). Never materialized.
Last edited by ::: on Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Freespeech wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm
Hy Feiber wrote:

I thought we underestimated Zunino's catching ability altogether. He's hitting about .220 for Tampa so far, i would have been happy with that.
Zunino was placed on the 10-day I.L. on Friday with a left quad strain. I realize that's not germane to the post. As far as behind the plate skills Mike is far superior to Omar Narvaez but I'll take Omar's current .304 \ .386 \ .522 / .908 any day. Pitchers do not seem to have any issues with him either.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Post by ::: » Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 pm
Scratchiro wrote:

I did forget Fraley. Doh! I have to admit that I am not as high on him as others after seeing him in spring training. You never know who might pop though.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 pm
Scratchiro wrote:

I did forget Fraley. Doh! I have to admit that I am not as high on him as others after seeing him in spring training. You never know who might pop though.
He was great in Spring training for a guy who never played above A ball, and he's been awesome in Arkansas this year.