Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Donn Beach

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:03 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:48 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:29 pm
Dodged a bullet? He puts up 2.5 WAR and he's worth it. So he only puts up 1.5 WAR, big deal, they overpaid by a few million , it's a one year contract. They are supposed to be going for it. You have the chance to lock in what could be an impact player for a season, do it. I don't think it be that big a gamble. We complain about them being stingy and then wring our hands over them sinking a few million into a go for it season
The gamble is he gets off to a slow start with an OPS in the 600s and then he gets injured again around Cinco de Mayo with a shoulder injury that most guys are back from with in a month but because it is Mitch he is out for two months then a full 21 day rehab assignment he he is back in August and finishes the season with 9 HRs and 31 RBIs when we could have got a healthy guy coming off a good season. Its the opportunity cost.
I'm not saying you stop at adding Haniger. You need to have options even if you don't add him, you're not making it through a season with three outfielders

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:22 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:43 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:39 am
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:15 pm

The best Japanese hitter since Oh is wanting to come play 3rd base possibly as soon as next yr at 22 yr old batting champion Munetaka Murakami. That will be the one to get and it will not be the biggest checkbook either as he will be international rules

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/japa ... -mlb-soon/
I think he's 3 years away. The posting rules require the player to be at least 25 years old. At least that's my understanding as of this moment.
Never mind. The article clarifies it. I guess he can get posted, but it's just less likely because of the limitations of the international bonus pool. But once he's 25, that goes away.
It would almost be better for us if he waited till age 25 since Suarez is locked in This guy is a beast

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:23 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:49 am
D-train wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:54 pm
HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:52 pm
We do need more LH in the lineup, that being said I think I do like Torres a little more then Wong. In reading Arkins article does it make sense to target either of those remaining OF. The obvious answer is Reynolds but with the cost it may take to get him that might significantly deplete our farm system.
I don't think we have enough to get Reynolds. If not Nimmo then Yoshida or AB make the most sense.
We have enough, but it would require subtracting from our ML roster. The M's NEED to make at least one free agent splurge this offseason. Whether it's for an outfielder, starting pitcher, or shortstop that remains to be seen.
They don't NEED to splurge on a free agent. What they need to do is to construct a roster and there are multiple ways to do that. Just because it would give you a nice little dopamine rush to see your team go big on a free agent doesn't mean that's something they should do.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:44 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:23 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
D-train wrote:

I don't think we have enough to get Reynolds. If not Nimmo then Yoshida or AB make the most sense.
We have enough, but it would require subtracting from our ML roster. The M's NEED to make at least one free agent splurge this offseason. Whether it's for an outfielder, starting pitcher, or shortstop that remains to be seen.
They don't NEED to splurge on a free agent. What they need to do is to construct a roster and there are multiple ways to do that. Just because it would give you a nice little dopamine rush to see your team go big on a free agent doesn't mean that's something they should do.
I think they do. Dopamine rush be damned, who gives a crap about that. I'd prefer to hold onto my prospects and build up the farm system again. If they need to trade away a few pieces I'd hope it was from outside the Top 30. We've given up quite a haul over the last year. It's time to restock the system. Signing a superstar FA like Turner would help negate emptying our minor league depth. It's not like the M's don't have the money to make a signing. And I'm not saying that they should go out and sign ONLY FA's, but I've seen the 2023 Free agent availability chart, and there isn't jack shit there. So yeah, they NEED to make at least one signing in my opinion.

Nimmo
Senga
Yoshida
Turner
Bogaerts
Haniger

Any of these players would suffice. I expect trades to be made. Getting Torres or Wong would be cool, but I'm not in favor of the team ONLY making trades this offseason to fill holes on the roster. Mainly because I don't think we have the ammo to acquire the pieces necessary to catch the Astros.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:25 am

If they made 1 FA splash it's not gonna cripple the franchise. The offense has got to improve. For 2B I'm liking the idea of Polanco (Twins) or McNeil (Mets). Too many advanced metrics to worry about. Not every player is gonna have the best hard hit rate. We need guys that can A) get on base & ; B) hit the ball out of the park. If you can do 1 or the other of those things sign me up. Plus its not like either of these guys are gonna cost a bunch in terms of prospects. Also wouldn't mind Adames either.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:08 am

Newest Mariner Cooper Hummel reacted to my tweet.
coop.JPG
coop.JPG (23.3 KiB) Viewed 208 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:10 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
D-train wrote:
HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:52 pm
We do need more LH in the lineup, that being said I think I do like Torres a little more then Wong. In reading Arkins article does it make sense to target either of those remaining OF. The obvious answer is Reynolds but with the cost it may take to get him that might significantly deplete our farm system.
Yes, I bet they would want a an untouchable too.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:26 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:22 am
GL_Storm wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:39 am

I think he's 3 years away. The posting rules require the player to be at least 25 years old. At least that's my understanding as of this moment.
Never mind. The article clarifies it. I guess he can get posted, but it's just less likely because of the limitations of the international bonus pool. But once he's 25, that goes away.
It would almost be better for us if he waited till age 25 since Suarez is locked in This guy is a beast
Wow, 177 HRs already at age 22. Kind of puts a dirty sock in the mouth of the "He's only 23 yo!" JK fan club.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:26 am
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:22 am
GL_Storm wrote:

Wow, 177 HRs already at age 22. Kind of puts a dirty sock in the mouth of the "He's only 23 yo!" JK fan club.
Lol

I can almost hear it next year if he posts….He will never hit that in the mlb..it won’t transfer…..When the reality is JK sucks, Evan White sucks, JP sucks. It’s time to push your chips in the hand and fix the holes. Our lineup as it sits is weak sauce. Jerry seems so hesitant to go over some expenditure line or commitment to more than a yr, It’s like he acknowledges secretly that he screwed up in Anaheim and is bound and determined to never get in that position again and I agree somewhat with his direction if that is close to his reality….The trouble is you have to dabble a little more in the free agent market to improve this team to be able to beat the Astros.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:28 pm

It's up to the owners how aggressive they want the GM to be