Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

D-train

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:04 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:28 pm
It's up to the owners how aggressive they want the GM to be
I am sure that they considered 2022 a massive success so don't feel the need to spend significantly more. A bit more to improve on a massive success is plenty is likely their thought process...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm

Jerry says he has full access to all necessary resource...........if it makes sense.

lol What a sledge hammer of a disclaimer...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:28 pm

FG says he was worth $91.4M in 2022. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/aaron ... tats#value
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:02 pm

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1 ... e-mariners

The Dogs' two cents on the Western division for next season....

Now imagine a city of 10 million people that hyper and I wonder why my blood pressure is high! :lol:
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:21 pm

ddraig wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:15 pm
When Mitch is healthy, and that's the rub, he is a more than adequate OFer. I can see both sides to the argument, but I wonder if the M's are cutting off their nose to spite their face? If Mitch accepted the qualifying offer, they could still trade him if they found a better presence in either corner position. And $20 million is cheap compared to what they may be looking at as his replacement. Having Mitch in the fold could also sweeten a pot if an acceptable trade presented itself. Potentially one OFer for another with some additional pieces thrown in. And if nothing came of a trade, you still had Haniger in the OF.

In Mitch's defense. he certainly wouldn't want to be taken out of the lineup for a niggling injury. Plus major time on the IL would further degrade his chances for a better payday in 2024. Mitch needs to prove himself. But the M's would be taking a gamble with an individual who at best can be described as "fragile." As I said, I can see both sides, but at $20 million, it seems relatively cheap for a potential upside. Maybe I'm looking at this as a "bird in the hand" scenario?
One thing I did NOT consider when I wrote this was that the club is extremely right handed. If a similar LH bat can be found to replace Haniger at or near the same cost, I would be all for it. But again, resigning Haniger and then trading him for a LH bat could be possible. Lots to consider here.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:01 pm

ddraig wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:21 pm
ddraig wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:15 pm
When Mitch is healthy, and that's the rub, he is a more than adequate OFer. I can see both sides to the argument, but I wonder if the M's are cutting off their nose to spite their face? If Mitch accepted the qualifying offer, they could still trade him if they found a better presence in either corner position. And $20 million is cheap compared to what they may be looking at as his replacement. Having Mitch in the fold could also sweeten a pot if an acceptable trade presented itself. Potentially one OFer for another with some additional pieces thrown in. And if nothing came of a trade, you still had Haniger in the OF.

In Mitch's defense. he certainly wouldn't want to be taken out of the lineup for a niggling injury. Plus major time on the IL would further degrade his chances for a better payday in 2024. Mitch needs to prove himself. But the M's would be taking a gamble with an individual who at best can be described as "fragile." As I said, I can see both sides, but at $20 million, it seems relatively cheap for a potential upside. Maybe I'm looking at this as a "bird in the hand" scenario?
One thing I did NOT consider when I wrote this was that the club is extremely right handed. If a similar LH bat can be found to replace Haniger at or near the same cost, I would be all for it. But again, resigning Haniger and then trading him for a LH bat could be possible. Lots to consider here.
Yep he is redundant to Teo in every way. No chance we resign him especially not signing him just to trade him.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:34 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-correa-rumors

Bogaerts, Twins back up choice if they don't land Correa.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:59 pm

Which direction will the Mariners strike next?

“We've had a number of trade conversations with other clubs,” Dipoto said. “I don't sense that anything is particularly close. We have gotten to the point with a number of teams where we've exchanged names that might be interesting to create a match, and we haven't had a direct hit in that regard yet. We're going to be patient, there's really no need to rush.”

As things stand, the Mariners haven’t decided which corner Hernández will play, but some combination of Jarred Kelenic, Jesse Winker, Sam Haggerty, Dylan Moore and Taylor Trammell will handle the other corner, as well as the DH position -- for now. There’s still an opportunity to reunite with Mitch Haniger, though the veteran has drawn interest from at least nine teams, per reports, including the Rangers and Angels within the division.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-eye-m ... 023-roster

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:55 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:59 pm
Which direction will the Mariners strike next?

“We've had a number of trade conversations with other clubs,” Dipoto said. “I don't sense that anything is particularly close. We have gotten to the point with a number of teams where we've exchanged names that might be interesting to create a match, and we haven't had a direct hit in that regard yet. We're going to be patient, there's really no need to rush.”

As things stand, the Mariners haven’t decided which corner Hernández will play, but some combination of Jarred Kelenic, Jesse Winker, Sam Haggerty, Dylan Moore and Taylor Trammell will handle the other corner, as well as the DH position -- for now. There’s still an opportunity to reunite with Mitch Haniger, though the veteran has drawn interest from at least nine teams, per reports, including the Rangers and Angels within the division.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-eye-m ... 023-roster
I am just trying to read between the lines there and it did not mention that among the fab 5 would be manning OF and DH but not including 2B in that. To me that indicates that the definitely want to acquire an upgrade from outside and not to try to fill with Moore/ Haggerty. but the for Now to me indicates they are going to make a move at some point.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:55 pm

I was thinking the Mariners did Mitch a favor by not offering him a QO.

But now he's stuck between a rock and a hard place because the best contracts he's probably being offered are 3/39 type deals or 1 year prove-it contracts.

The problem with the prove it contract is since the Mariners didn't offer him a QO he could be hit with it next season if he takes the 1 year deal.

There aren't many favorable outcomes for Mitch to hit a big payday he was probably dreaming about.