2022 Seahawks D I was a bit shocked

Pharmabro

2022 Seahawks D I was a bit shocked

Post by Pharmabro » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:17 am

LBS: Taylor and Nwosu 9.5 Sacks each, Irvin 3.5, Mafe 3, Barton 2, Brooks 1 = 28.5 total

D-Line Q Jeff 5.5, Poona 3, Harris 2, Woods 2, 12.5 total

CB. Coby 2 sacks Neal 1= 3

So between Taylor and Nwosu you have two solid edge guys, Mafe with 3 you can project a few more but Irvin may not be back as a mid season useful contributor.

D-Line is a big need: QJeff is a solid enough start with 5.5 sacks but Poona at 3 and requiring a 2nd contract does not make for a smart decision. Vet min maybe. Harris looked good at times but only 2 sacks = cap casualty. Woods is a decent depth piece on the cheap but is aging. I am looking at a couple of the upper picks going into the D-line and maybe even a free agent. Although Shelby Harris had 6 sacks in 2021 and has played every other year being productive like that so maybe it is worth bringing him back and not cutting him to realocate resources.

So, it looks like the edge LB types Taylor, Nwosu, Irvin, and Mafe got good pressure on 25.5 sacks between the 4 and a total of 52 QB hits. I don’t have the total pressures but I am assuming pretty good numbers.

Bil522

Re: 2022 Seahawks D I was a bit shocked

Post by Bil522 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:20 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:17 am
LBS: Taylor and Nwosu 9.5 Sacks each, Irvin 3.5, Mafe 3, Barton 2, Brooks 1 = 28.5 total

So between Taylor and Nwosu you have two solid edge guys, Mafe with 3 you can project a few more but Irvin may not be back as a mid season useful contributor.

D-Line is a big need: QJeff is a solid enough start with 5.5 sacks but Poona at 3 and requiring a 2nd contract does not make for a smart decision. Vet min maybe. Harris looked good at times but only 2 sacks = cap casualty. Woods is a decent depth piece on the cheap but is aging. I am looking at a couple of the upper picks going into the D-line and maybe even a free agent. Although Shelby Harris had 6 sacks in 2021 and has played every other year being productive like that so maybe it is worth bringing him back and not cutting him to realocate resources.

So, it looks like the edge LB types Taylor, Nwosu, Irvin, and Mafe got good pressure on 25.5 sacks between the 4 and a total of 52 QB hits. I don’t have the total pressures but I am assuming pretty good numbers.
Pete has said that they played Poona as a 5 technique too much, so I think he is staying around as a NT. I like what Harris and Al Woods did this year, but pretty much every other DL can go.

I think defense should be what we draft. We get one of Anderson, Carter or Tyree Wilson with our 1st pick and then I would like to see us get 3 out of these 4 NT Siaka Ika, DT Mazi Smith, LB Drew Sanders and LB Jack Campbell. I would also like C Ricky Stromberg but I think you can get him a bit later in the draft

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:10 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:20 pm
Pharmabro wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:17 am

Pete has said that they played Poona as a 5 technique too much, so I think he is staying around as a NT. I like what Harris and Al Woods did this year, but pretty much every other DL can go.

I think defense should be what we draft. We get one of Anderson, Carter or Tyree Wilson with our 1st pick and then I would like to see us get 3 out of these 4 NT Siaka Ika, DT Mazi Smith, LB Drew Sanders and LB Jack Campbell. I would also like C Ricky Stromberg but I think you can get him a bit later in the draft
I really like how Sanders goes through his progressions and processes a play.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 pm

this is a pretty misleading graphic. Irvin, Mafe and Taylor are listed as OLBs, but they are more DEs as we casual fans would think of them. The guys listed as D-line are interior guys whose job is not to get sacks, so it's not a really effective measure. For instance, Jefferson had twice as many sacks as Harris, but how many of those do you remember? I remember none, because they didn't come at big moments, probably garbage time and cleanup duty where the edges forced the QB into the pack. On the flip side, I remember LOTS of Shelby Harris plays. Just watching the whole season, I'd say Harris had at least 5x the impact that Jefferson had.

Now, Harris does get paid quite a bit, so he could be a cap casualty, but I'd more expect an extension/restructure kind of deal with him, where I fully expect Jefferson - who also gets paid a lot - to get cut. Poona is a free agent that doesn't fit the 3-4, so while I hear they have big plans for him, I expect him to sign elsewhere. I'm not sure what they'll do with Woods, as he's getting older, but he was the one guy that would fairly consistently clog the middle and stop running plays, particularly short yardage.

They clearly need to upgrade the interior of both lines, though. I want to see Jalen Carter and Gervon Dexter picked back-to-back and things will change instantly.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:27 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 pm
this is a pretty misleading graphic. Irvin, Mafe and Taylor are listed as OLBs, but they are more DEs as we casual fans would think of them. The guys listed as D-line are interior guys whose job is not to get sacks, so it's not a really effective measure. For instance, Jefferson had twice as many sacks as Harris, but how many of those do you remember? I remember none, because they didn't come at big moments, probably garbage time and cleanup duty where the edges forced the QB into the pack. On the flip side, I remember LOTS of Shelby Harris plays. Just watching the whole season, I'd say Harris had at least 5x the impact that Jefferson had.

Now, Harris does get paid quite a bit, so he could be a cap casualty, but I'd more expect an extension/restructure kind of deal with him, where I fully expect Jefferson - who also gets paid a lot - to get cut. Poona is a free agent that doesn't fit the 3-4, so while I hear they have big plans for him, I expect him to sign elsewhere. I'm not sure what they'll do with Woods, as he's getting older, but he was the one guy that would fairly consistently clog the middle and stop running plays, particularly short yardage.

They clearly need to upgrade the interior of both lines, though. I want to see Jalen Carter and Gervon Dexter picked back-to-back and things will change instantly.
I see you threw in the towel on the Picks? :)
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:27 pm

Don't think I've changed my tune on this subject - just that sacks-by-linemen shouldn't be criteria in this case.

I've wanted Carter since before it was thing. Gervon Dexter is a beast, and would be great next to him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:27 pm

Don't think I've changed my tune on this subject - just that sacks-by-linemen shouldn't be criteria in this case.

I've wanted Carter since before it was thing. Gervon Dexter is a beast, and would be great next to him.
I talking about the Pick em contest. lol
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 pm

oh well how was I supposed to know that? lol

How was I supposed to pick when I couldn't pick the Broncos to win and Seahawks to lose?? That was the cornerstone of my entire strategy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:59 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:57 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 pm

oh well how was I supposed to know that? lol

How was I supposed to pick when I couldn't pick the Broncos to win and Seahawks to lose?? That was the cornerstone of my entire strategy.
Ha, I actually thought of that.
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 pm

Take a look at this article about Mazi Smith's athletic ability...it is from the Feldman Freaks article from Bruce Feldman of the Athletic:

“But let’s start with this: Smith does 22 reps on the bench press, but that’s with 325 (not 225). He close-grip benched 550 pounds. He vertical-jumps 44 inches. He broad-jumped 9-4 1/2. Smith, who had 37 tackles last season, has clocked a 4.41 shuttle time, which would’ve tied the best by any defensive tackle at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and it would’ve been better than any defensive tackle weighing 310 pounds or more in the past decade. His 6.95 3-cone time would’ve been by far the fastest among defensive tackles in Indianapolis. The fastest was 7.33. Smith’s 60-yard shuttle time is 11.90.

“The Wolverines do a reactive plyo stairs test, which is a series of seven 26-inch high stairs that players attempt to jump up as fast as possible. The team record is 2.21 seconds. Smith did it in 2.82. To better gauge just how impressive that is, (Aidan) Hutchinson, some 60 pounds lighter than Smith, did it in 2.57.”