GT Gilbert vs Sears. Let’s sweep their @$$€$.

Vogelbomb

Re: GT Gilbert can Sears. Let’s sweep their @$$€$.

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri May 26, 2023 4:14 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:34 am
Gilbert is at 77 pitches. Give him the 9th?
No doubt about it. Don't make the game harder than it has to be. Not just about the PC either. He was CRUZZINNNN

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 26, 2023 4:18 am

It's funny because they'll pull Logan after 77 pitches, and then in a couple days they'll say they need to give Sewald a night off because he's been used too much lately :roll:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 26, 2023 4:37 am

I'm gonna guess he was pulled to give the As a different look to swing at in the ninth.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri May 26, 2023 4:47 am

I just think there's too much managing in this game sometimes. Yes Noda was coming up and was 2-for-3 tonight, but come on, let your horse show you what he's about. Instead of pissing Logan off by telling him he's done when he's in complete command, think about how much confidence you give him by not talking to him, letting him go back out there and finish the race. Think about that!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 26, 2023 6:25 am

Doubt it pissed him off. These guys understand the modern game. It's about giving you the best chance to win. He did his job, Seward is his teammate, he has a job to do as well. I am gonna guess he is happy to let Paul do his job.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri May 26, 2023 7:17 am

Mariners win! We're HEROES!!!

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am

I'll take the win every time, regardless of how we got there. Sewald is our current closer, and we were turning over the top of the order. Let him come in and get the save situation. Done deal. Don't really care about complete games. It's not like he was pitching a shutout anyways. If he had been, and it was 3-0 instead of 3-2, then that's different.

After allowing a two-run home run to Seth Brown in the first inning, Gilbert (3-2) settled down and retired the next 15 hitters he faced. He got 24 outs on 77 pitches, tempting manager Scott Servais to let him finish the game.

“It’s not an easy call,” Servais said. “Obviously, he has got a lot left in the tank. There’s not a day off before his next start, and we’re going to ask so much of our starting pitching as this season goes on.”

Gilbert, who allowed three hits, didn’t walk a batter and struck out six. Yes, his four-seam fastball was still a big weapon — he got five swinging strikes on that pitch — but his ability to mix all of his pitches prevented the A’s from knowing what was coming next.

“It’s probably the first time in my career that consistently I’d say that it has been that way. At different parts of the night, I could go to different pitches,” Gilbert said.

Gilbert said the decision to not pitch the ninth inning did not bother him and he understood Servais’ rationale.

“I always want to keep going, especially at that point and being so close to the end,” Gilbert said. “I thought with the (low) pitch count we might have a chance. But we’ve got the best bullpen in baseball. We’ve got a ton of faith in those guys. I knew we were in good hands.”

Seattle closer Paul Sewald worked a scoreless ninth for his 11th save in 11 opportunities, closing the door on a series where the A’s (10-42) had all sorts of trouble with the Mariners’ pitching.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 26, 2023 11:43 am

So it seems France's Slapate bone in his wrist was shattered and completely destroyed by that HBP turning him from a slap hitter into a HR hitter LOL.

Watch the replay of his second HR. The fan takes it right off the forehead. I have watched it 3 times and can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 26, 2023 11:53 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:11 am
That's the best I've seen Logan Gilbert. He has raised his game to another level. I woulda rode him full 9, hell 10 if need be. He was absolutely cruising. Not sure why there's some taboo for a starter to go 9 on this team. He was at 77p Scott! JFC
I think SS might have OCD and going against his preset hard coded notions might send him into a panic attack.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 26, 2023 12:02 pm

Sewald has had a pretty bizarre career. First of all didn't debut until his age 27 year and completely sucked for the Mets.

5.50 ERA and 1.36 WHIP

Then the past three seasons with us:

2.91 ERA and .89 WHIP

Congrats, thanks for your contributions and Happy Birthday!!!

Paul Sewald
Position: Pitcher

Bats: Right • Throws: Right

6-3, 219lb (190cm, 99kg)

Team: Seattle Mariners (majors)

Born: May 26, 1990 (Age: 33-000d, Happy Birthday!) in Las Vegas, NV
dt