Anyone else worried about recruiting

D-train

Re: Anyone else worried about recruiting

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:59 pm

I hope you guys are right but such a massive disparity between us and the top teams. I assumed these recruiting services were objective but maybe when they here the top 5 programs are in on guys they bump them from 3 stars to 5 stars.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:59 pm
I hope you guys are right but such a massive disparity between us and the top teams. I assumed these recruiting services were objective but maybe when they here the top 5 programs are in on guys they bump them from 3 stars to 5 stars.
That happens all the time. As soon as Bama or Georgia are on a guy? He jumps a star. Easier to score big when simply showing interest raises a recruit's ranking. I can't remember the LB we signed a few years ago that used a "family emergency" to back out and then ended up at Bama, but as I recall he was a three star, we offered, then Bama got involved and he was a four star.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:02 pm

Do you guys think the loss of the California schools to the Big 10 is a factor? I wonder if the Pac is being looked at as a mid major

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:53 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:59 pm
That happens all the time. As soon as Bama or Georgia are on a guy? He jumps a star. Easier to score big when simply showing interest raises a recruit's ranking. I can't remember the LB we signed a few years ago that used a "family emergency" to back out and then ended up at Bama, but as I recall he was a three star, we offered, then Bama got involved and he was a four star.
Although we do agree on this, it is these schools that are actively recruiting and watching these kids. It's these schools that are grading them and deciding who the best of the best are. The recruiting sites may have a clue, bit it's the schools that are really driving the ratings up.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:23 pm

Seems me starting this thread has been a bit of a reverse jinx. Three more commits and two are 4 stars.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1760163/ ... w-commits/
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:52 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:04 pm
Excellent point, and I am too lazy to research it right now, but it seems we had a few impact transfers come in again.
if i recall the one i was most excited for this year was the LB (Goforth?) from UCLA. also there was an Edge and a RB, at least one of which was from ASU, but i think one of those backed out since. No big loss as UW is pretty stacked at both of those spots. but yeah, getting Penix last year in addition to Taulapapa, Perryman, Giles-Jackson and now Bernard, they're doing much better in the transfer game than traditional high school recruiting.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:21 pm

Circling back to this again. I was looking at the 247 recruiting page today and noticed that we have zero commits from in state guys. How is that even possible? We are losing local 4 stars to Oregon, Michigan and Texas A&M and freaking CAL! overall we are ranked 40th in recruiting. Seems like it should be higher than that for a top 5 team. Hope that Deboer can make up for this in development and use of the Portal but I think we are in for a few years of regression after this year when we lose a lot of this talent to the NFL.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:40 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:21 pm
Circling back to this again. I was looking at the 247 recruiting page today and noticed that we have zero commits from in state guys. How is that even possible? We are losing local 4 stars to Oregon, Michigan and Texas A&M and freaking CAL! overall we are ranked 40th in recruiting. Seems like it should be higher than that for a top 5 team. Hope that Deboer can make up for this in development and use of the Portal but I think we are in for a few years of regression after this year when we lose a lot of this talent to the NFL.
Cal?!?!?! Maybe there is hope for the Mariners to recruit FAs after all. I guess there are guys that don't care about winning.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:06 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Not sure if you have followed much of the HS football in this State, but I am good with getting kids from out of State. Huard was the player of the year in this State. He just went 14 of 29 for 176 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT against Eastern. In the CFP on the season, over ten games, he is 169 of 272 with 2,006 yards, 16 TDs and 8 INTs. 17 of 27 for 200 yards and 1.6 TDs and 0.8 picks per game. Those are his per game stats in the CFP division. The HS player of the year!?

Name the last big name that left that we freaked out about and he panned out? Shit, Eason came home...and was above average at best. The DT at Ohio State, that's it. Loading up in this State is NOT loading up. All these kids think they are king shit, so they go out of State. Just about non of them pan out. Keep giving me the Cali kids. I'm good with that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:41 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:06 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Not sure if you have followed much of the HS football in this State, but I am good with getting kids from out of State. Huard was the player of the year in this State. He just went 14 of 29 for 176 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT against Eastern. In the CFP on the season, over ten games, he is 169 of 272 with 2,006 yards, 16 TDs and 8 INTs. 17 of 27 for 200 yards and 1.6 TDs and 0.8 picks per game. Those are his per game stats in the CFP division. The HS player of the year!?

Name the last big name that left that we freaked out about and he panned out? Shit, Eason came home...and was above average at best. The DT at Ohio State, that's it. Loading up in this State is NOT loading up. All these kids think they are king shit, so they go out of State. Just about non of them pan out. Keep giving me the Cali kids. I'm good with that.
Good point. I wouldn't target anyone from my New state of MA either. :lol:
dt