The Debates

maoling

Re: The Debates

Post by maoling » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:06 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:14 pm
I don't know if this means anything to you guys. But as an independent voter who watched the debate, Haley came off by far as the candidate I'd be willing to vote for. If the 2020 election said anything, it's that extreme viewpoints were rejected by independents and fringe-liberals.

I'm pretty sure I will never be voting for a candidate who puts commandments forward. That seems like a slippery slope toward indoctrination versus free thinking.
Yup, if I had to vote based on that one debate, I liked Haley the most last night.

I've liked Vivek in sit-down interviews, but to me he of came off as College Bowl, Captain of the Debate Team, Chess Club, Yell King and Student Body President wannabe. In high school we would have given him a Brownie, or in his case, what we called a Swahili.

My scorecard from last night:

Haley
Burgum
Vivek
DeSantis
Scott
Hutchinson
Pence
Christie

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:24 am

I still like Vivek a lot. Insanely smart, I just think he needs to tone it down a bit. Guessing he was just jacked for the first debate and was swinging out of his shoes. Kind of like Julio on Opening day.

Haley had good moments but I just can't get past the Margaret Thatcher quote.

Imagine if any of the guys would have said that only the opposite. They would have had to drop out of the race immediately. But it is ok to say it because she is a woman. :roll: They want to be treated as equal but expect different standards.

It is the same type of crap we get pissed at the left about, reverse racism. Totally hypocritical.
dt

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:32 am

Haley had good moments but I just can't get past the Margaret Thatcher quote.

Seriously, I have married twice in my lifetime, and I won't get into the personal details lol, but both my brides were pretty close to Nikki Haley in terms of focus and get 'er done mentality. I like chicks like that. They get shit done and they have zero tolerance for bullshit. All my girl buddies are like that too.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:45 am

What was wrong with the thatcher quote? Pretty influencal woman, redefined England as Reagan did America

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:09 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:45 am
What was wrong with the thatcher quote? Pretty influencal woman, redefined England as Reagan did America
Thatcher was great. But it is a blatantly sexist comment intended to suggest that one group of people is superior to another solely because of their sex. I can actually give Thatcher a pass given she probably said it 40 years ago when woman were first taking on leadership roles but sad that a woman would feel the need to say it in 2023. Makes her seem weak and insecure about going against men and needing to diminish them.

If a man said the reverse they would be banished from public life forever but it is somehow great and amazing and hilarious and celebrated when a woman says it???

Besides, it is complete made up bull shit.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
I appreciated the quote as well.
Thatcher was a great woman.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:29 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:09 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thatcher was great. But it is a blatantly sexist comment intended to suggest that one group of people is superior to another solely because of their sex. I can actually give Thatcher a pass given she probably said it 40 years ago when woman were first taking on leadership roles but sad that a woman would feel the need to say it in 2023. Makes her seem weak and insecure about going against men and needing to diminish them.

If a man said the reverse they would be banished from public life forever but it is somehow great and amazing and hilarious and celebrated when a woman says it???

Besides, it is complete made up bull shit.
I do agree with you as well my friend.

Be very careful when comparing the quotes of yesteryear to today....that is what I do and get pretty worked up over it.

Whenever there is a potential race/sexist/religious/etc... situation, I always revers them and decide if I'm okay with it. If I'm not, then it's a bad thing. But my friend, I have lost too many hours of sleep over it.

Can you get your hands on some Lisinopril for me? :lol:
-this would be an inside joke for those that know what Lisinopril is for-

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:30 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:26 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
So you agree that men are only capable of talking and that only women can get things done???
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:30 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
So you agree that men are only capable of talking and that only women can get things done???
No. But I do believe that men are responsible for more destruction in this world than women are.

I also believe that it takes a very powerful woman to get things done at Thatcher's level.....not every woman could do it.
Come on man, it was a great quote. Made to force the realization that she was the only woman on that stage.

AND....

I WAS THROWING DONN A BONE. I attack him so much for his lazy-liberal-dumb-assery on these boards I was trying to find something we could agree on. I think that's called growth.....please help me.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:30 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
That was the quote
"If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman."
That was the quote, funny I was just looking at it. I don't have a problem with it. What she is doing is reversing the stigma connected to women. A woman ran in the latest election here. It was the same sort of criticism. Oh she's very nice, lots of empathy. But she won't be able to get anything done.