GT 9/25:Houston we have a problem

ice99

Re: GT 9/25:Houston we have a problem

Post by ice99 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:45 am

I guess SH wins.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:47 am

Verlander is getting too much credit here. This is the same thing the Mariners have been doing during all of the slumpy parts of the season, doesn't matter who's pitching. They do it against AAA call-ups and bullpen days; good pitchers and the worst.

... Long stretches, sometimes multiple games where they can't get anything strung together and our best hope is a couple lazy solo homeruns that catch a ride on a favorable gust of wind. Occasionally those lucky solo shots accompany a great Mariners pitching performance and we squeak out a win.

All of this is the result of a mostly shitty lineup that only looks good when 3-4 batters are on rare hot-streaks all at the same time.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:48 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:42 am
desbcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:39 am
Pretty much ends any playoff chances with this loss, there is a shot but winning 6 after their sept isn’t a reasonable thought. They are toast
They need to win 4 of 6, including the last 2 against Houston, and hope for help from Arizona
Seriously, unless this team goes 6-0 to close the season i.e. A COMPLETE 180 FROM WHAT WE'RE GETTING RIGHT NOW it doesn't even matter because they are playing so badly that big deal they get in the postseason. Get in to do what?

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:48 am
Juliooooo wrote:
desbcoach wrote:
Pretty much ends any playoff chances with this loss, there is a shot but winning 6 after their sept isn’t a reasonable thought. They are toast
They need to win 4 of 6, including the last 2 against Houston, and hope for help from Arizona
Seriously, unless this team goes 6-0 to close the season i.e. A COMPLETE 180 FROM WHAT WE'RE GETTING RIGHT NOW it doesn't even matter because they are playing so badly that big deal they get in the postseason. Get in to do what?
I don’t know… but making the playoffs is what matters, they don’t care about building an actual team that competes… ownership already showed us that when they traded for Castillo then did Shit after that
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:48 am
Juliooooo wrote:
desbcoach wrote:
Point is 4-2 over last 6’games is a pipe dream filled with meth and coke at this time. They are who they have been all year against teams better the 0.500

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:55 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:50 am

I don’t know… but making the playoffs is what matters, they don’t care about building an actual team that competes… ownership already showed us that when they traded for Castillo then did Shit after that
Incredibly well said. It's just so sad. But, they made money, and that's what's most important. To everyone but us fans.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:58 am

Juliooooo wrote:

No, I disagree. I like the approach. The only difference is I'd have benched Ty France back in early August. Jake Scheiner should've been called up.

You don't win with aging players. Look at Trout. Look at guys cratering all around the league. The only guys I wish we'd have been in on are Matt Olson and Freddie Freeman. But I don't think Freddie was ever going to come to PNW when he's never been here in his life. No ties to Seattle.

M's need to draft and develop, hit on trades and that's largely what this team has done. You've got incredible talent still developing on the farm in guys like Ford, Young, Montes, Celestin, Clase, Emerson, Berroa, Hancock

You don't invest in age, you invest in youth and that's what M's are doing. This group is showing that it's not quite there just yet. The slow start hurt. Hopefully next year they play a full 162 like we've seen stretches of their top ceiling be.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:06 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:58 am
Juliooooo wrote:

No, I disagree. I like the approach. The only difference is I'd have benched Ty France back in early August. Jake Scheiner should've been called up.

You don't win with aging players. Look at Trout. Look at guys cratering all around the league. The only guys I wish we'd have been in on are Matt Olson and Freddie Freeman. But I don't think Freddie was ever going to come to PNW when he's never been here in his life. No ties to Seattle.

M's need to draft and develop, hit on trades and that's largely what this team has done. You've got incredible talent still developing on the farm in guys like Ford, Young, Montes, Celestin, Clase, Emerson, Berroa, Hancock

You don't invest in age, you invest in youth and that's what M's are doing. This group is showing that it's not quite there just yet. The slow start hurt. Hopefully next year they play a full 162 like we've seen stretches of their top ceiling be.
There were so many mid level players that could have gotten, they went instead with AJ Pollock. It was just half assed. If they weren’t ready to compete, they shouldn’t have made a complete now move.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:13 am

Here's what I find really annoying. They have 84 wins with 6 to go. They have to win 6 straight against Astros/Rangers to reach 90 wins.

2021: 90 wins
2022: 90 wins
2023: 90 wins maximum

They have not fucking improved at all! Was this the master plan* to plateau at 90 wins?

*Master plan has actually been reached: Be good enough, have enough fan favorite players, and have enough bobblehead days to keep attendance up all year long.
-If team happens to make playoffs, Huzzah! Bumper sticker sales go through the roof.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Southpaw773

Post by Southpaw773 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:15 am

They might not win another game this season the way they’ve been mailing it in everyday lately