Re: 2023 Week 8: UW Football - Arizona State

Post by Michael K. » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:12 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:54 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:46 am
One other good thing about having our stinker today is Oklahoma wasn't exactly impressive and Penn State lost. Those are the two teams behind us...and Oregon looked pretty good, making last week still impressive.
Didn't UW already have stinkers against Cal and Arizona? At some point you just have to accept what the evidence shows. Every aspect of the team other than the passing game is mediocre. They were lucky to beat Oregon and will be lucky to beat Utah and OSU.
AZ has a good team. Nobody knew it at the time.
-They will be in a bowl game

Cal, we put a 50-spot on them.
Was gonna say? What the fuck. Neither of those games were EVER in doubt. Arizona is not bad at all, and it took an onside Kick and TD with about a minute left to make it a 7 point game. But Cal? 59 to 32. 45 to 12 at the half? Jesus dude.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:26 pm

Sorry, i misremembered that one. 8-)

But if you look at the body of work, Oregon, Penn St, and Oklahoma have all been better than UW. The elite teams don't do what the Huskies did yesterday. DeBoer shit the bed along with Grubb and Penix. And the O line was complete garbage. 13 yards rushing? This team is not close to playoff material.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:50 pm

Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:26 pm

But if you look at the body of work, Oregon, Penn St, and Oklahoma have all been better than UW. The elite teams don't do what the Huskies did yesterday. DeBoer shit the bed along with Grubb and Penix. And the O line was complete garbage. 13 yards rushing? This team is not close to playoff material.
Oklahoma and Texas both very well could have lost yesterday. I agree we stunk yesterday, but I disagree that one bad game makes us not one of the best teams in college football. I stand by my belief that Penix is hurt and the staff didn’t adapt to that. The fact that we couldn’t scheme up a run game is disappointing to me. But to say those teams are better than us, and one of them we’ve beaten each of the last two years and another lost yesterday? It’s an odd stance.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:32 pm

Where was that dominant offensive line? ASU flat out prepared and outcoached us given two weeks to prepare. Their defense seemed to know what we were running before we did. I also didn't see us doing much screen work against what seemed like 8 guys rushing.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:48 pm

Yeah, i expected a letdown from the players, but not the coaches.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:52 am

Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:48 pm
I think they took for granted the opponent and went with a vanilla game plan. Also think Penix is hurt. The double reverse on the two point conversion is not a play you run when you have a Heisman candidate at QB and you are struggling on offense.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:53 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:50 pm
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:26 pm

Oklahoma and Texas both very well could have lost yesterday. I agree we stunk yesterday, but I disagree that one bad game makes us not one of the best teams in college football. I stand by my belief that Penix is hurt and the staff didn’t adapt to that. The fact that we couldn’t scheme up a run game is disappointing to me. But to say those teams are better than us, and one of them we’ve beaten each of the last two years and another lost yesterday? It’s an odd stance.
The other thing about last night not being a referendum for the season - it think it was 4 turnovers to zero they were down up until that pick-6 - one bad throw, one deflection and two fumbles. very few teams can overcome that, and it's not like it's been a pattern, so chalk it up to Oregon hangover.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:00 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:52 am
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:48 pm
I think they took for granted the opponent and went with a vanilla game plan. Also think Penix is hurt. The double reverse on the two point conversion is not a play you run when you have a Heisman candidate at QB and you are struggling on offense.
Seriously true!!

Line up, snap the ball and run a regular fucking play.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:07 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:12 pm
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:54 pm

Didn't UW already have stinkers against Cal and Arizona? At some point you just have to accept what the evidence shows. Every aspect of the team other than the passing game is mediocre. They were lucky to beat Oregon and will be lucky to beat Utah and OSU.
AZ has a good team. Nobody knew it at the time.
-They will be in a bowl game

Cal, we put a 50-spot on them.
Was gonna say? What the fuck. Neither of those games were EVER in doubt. Arizona is not bad at all, and it took an onside Kick and TD with about a minute left to make it a 7 point game. But Cal? 59 to 32. 45 to 12 at the half? Jesus dude.
Arizona beat WSU a lot worse than Oregon did and barely lost to USC. They are right there in that second tier of teams. I wouldn't be suprised if they beat the Beavers this week.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:10 pm

ASU was coming off a bye week and seemed to diagnose a weakness and devised a great game plan. They just went all out and sent the house. Penix and Grubbs just weren't ready for that and were not able to adjust adequately. Its going to be on them to see if they can make the adjustments because you know USC, Utah, OSU and WSU are going to be all over that game tape and look to do some of the same things.