Stanton on Root Sports

D-train

Re: Stanton on Root Sports

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm

The painter is Jerry working on the Off season plan and the kid is Stanton updating him on the payroll situation:
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 pm

The problem with 85-86 wins, is that it puts the M's behind the Yankees, Rays, Orioles, Blue Jays, Astros, Rangers, and whomever wins the AL Central.

So instead of being the last team out of making the playoffs, they're projected to be behind the last team out.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:43 pm

ice99 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 pm
The problem with 85-86 wins, is that it puts the M's behind the Yankees, Rays, Orioles, Blue Jays, Astros, Rangers, and whomever wins the AL Central.

So instead of being the last team out of making the playoffs, they're projected to be behind the last team out.
So you're saying that 85-86 wins is fewer than 87 wins?

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:34 pm

Geoff Baker was on a local Mariners podcast today and said he believes ROOT NW will dissolve by next year.

He said billionaires get to be billionaires by spending other people's money. He said that fans should be very weary when teams start asking for public funds to build stadiums, because billionaires are greedy and won't deliver on the back end with money of their own to build a contender. He also said that if Stanton went and asked other minority holders in the Mariners for cash to help build out the roster, they're saying no... because again, they're only in it for an investment stake and spending their own cash isn't how you get rich.

He says he'd be surprised if the Mariners spend much in F/A or increase payroll at all over the next 2 seasons. He says by 2025, they could be making $0 via their TV deal.

Good times.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:58 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:43 pm
ice99 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:57 pm

So you're saying that 85-86 wins is fewer than 87 wins?
You didn't know that? Duh. You're such a clown.

I was speaking to the current projections of the teams listed, which includes those teams transactions like the Yankees acquiring Soto.
Last edited by ice99 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:59 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:34 pm
Geoff Baker was on a local Mariners podcast today and said he believes ROOT NW will dissolve by next year.

He said billionaires get to be billionaires by spending other people's money. He said that fans should be very weary when teams start asking for public funds to build stadiums, because billionaires are greedy and won't deliver on the back end with money of their own to build a contender. He also said that if Stanton went and asked other minority holders in the Mariners for cash to help build out the roster, they're saying no... because again, they're only in it for an investment stake and spending their own cash isn't how you get rich.

He says he'd be surprised if the Mariners spend much in F/A or increase payroll at all over the next 2 seasons. He says by 2025, they could be making $0 via their TV deal.

Good times.
If Root dissolves they will get Revenues from whoever is broadcasting games. Not going back to the 70s with one game on TV a month.
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:14 pm

They setup this arrangement, in part, due to the additional profit by RSNW wasn't subject to the revenue sharing. If the M's only got 50 million from RSNW and RSNW made 90 million, the M's would report only 50 million. The M's would get the percentage of their ownership (previously less than 100 percent) part of the 40 million, which was shielded from revenue sharing. But it looks like they're going to lose money.

RSNW has a 2 billion, 17 year agreement (2014-2030). But now that RSNW is totally owned by the M's they should tear up that agreement. Maybe do a 1 billion, 17 year agreement over 17 years (2024-2040).

gil

Post by gil » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:15 pm

There has been been something bothering me about this whole thing. Let's grant that Stanton/the ownership group is treating this "like a business" (i.e., caring more about maximizing profit versus having a winning baseball team). Even then, when you lose one revenue source, it doesn't make sense to starve you other parts of your business. For example, if I owned a micro-distillery, and for some reason revenue for one spirit (e.g. gin) went to zero, I wouldn't therefore cut back my investment in making other spirits (e.g., whiskey, vodka). I conclude that reduced revenue from ROOT sports should mean less investment in the Mariners baseball team. I think it's pretty basic business logic.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:29 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:15 pm
There has been been something bothering me about this whole thing. Let's grant that Stanton/the ownership group is treating this "like a business" (i.e., caring more about maximizing profit versus having a winning baseball team). Even then, when you lose one revenue source, it doesn't make sense to starve you other parts of your business. For example, if I owned a micro-distillery, and for some reason revenue for one spirit (e.g. gin) went to zero, I wouldn't therefore cut back my investment in making other spirits (e.g., whiskey, vodka). I conclude that reduced revenue from ROOT sports should mean less investment in the Mariners baseball team. I think it's pretty basic business logic.
It makes business sense. But this is a region starved for a winner and none of us connected by a team can fathom why a billionaire won’t go all in to win. I have worked for a billionaire who lives in cda for over 20 yrs on and off with projects He never once asked me how much this project was going to cost NEVER. He always demanded it be done right and that I always had to put 100% effort into it as in spreading out his work over time. He hated that he wanted my full attention to get it right and quickly. Stanton allows Jerry to be a snake oil bottom feeding piece of shit and NEVER demands the best for this team which tells me all I need to know about John Stanton

Sell the team you cheapskate

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:15 pm
That is the issue. They treat Payroll as an Expense that they need to have Revenue to fund instead of what it is. An INVESTMENT!

Just and Ass Backward way to think about it and is the fundamental flaw in their Business model. I couldn't even believe my eyes when I read it the first second and third time. It makes everything make sense though doesn't it.
Most importantly, Stanton says, the club will need to innovate and create “unforgettable experiences” at Mariners games. “That,” he says, “translates into revenue, and revenue translates into resources that allow us to build championship teams.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jabariyoun ... 59bf892706
dt