Re: Stanton on Root Sports

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:49 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:26 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:02 pm

I estimated it would be $3 Billion a year. $100M a team.

End all RSNs and then they could lift all blackouts. 10 million subscribers x $300 a season. Still less than $2 a game.
Where did you get those numbers?
Read my subsequent post.
Oh I see now. 10 million as a user count may not be that far off, though I don't think you could just double the subscription cost without losing a lot of viewers. I'm sure you understand that. And it isn't all profit. Your operational costs go up with the number of concurrent users, and for live streaming that's going to be a lot more expensive than say, Netflix, where users are watching different shows and the load is more balanced. But the good news is that MLB has a lot of experience now with live streaming so I'm sure they understand the costs and requirements.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:06 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:49 pm
D-train wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 pm

Where did you get those numbers?
Read my subsequent post.
Oh I see now. 10 million as a user count may not be that far off, though I don't think you could just double the subscription cost without losing a lot of viewers. I'm sure you understand that. And it isn't all profit. Your operational costs go up with the number of concurrent users, and for live streaming that's going to be a lot more expensive than say, Netflix, where users are watching different shows and the load is more balanced. But the good news is that MLB has a lot of experience now with live streaming so I'm sure they understand the costs and requirements.
When you eliminate the Blackouts you massively increase you subscriber base. When you create a monopoly you massively increase demand. tripling subscribers is conservative. Would you not we willing to spend $1.85 to watch a Mariner game?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:07 pm

Good point about production costs but Imagine it is only a $5-10k a game.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:07 pm
It's the cost of the technical infrastructure and bandwidth, not the production cost of the game.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:06 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:

Read my subsequent post.
When you eliminate the Blackouts you massively increase you subscriber base. When you create a monopoly you massively increase demand. tripling subscribers is conservative. Would you not we willing to spend $1.85 to watch a Mariner game?
I doubt that. You aren't creating net new viewers. Out of market fans already have a subscription service they're willing to pay for. The question right now is how do you make the product available to local market viewers and how much money will you make on that?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:40 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:07 pm
It's the cost of the technical infrastructure and bandwidth, not the production cost of the game.
I know nothing about that but seems odd that with the internet incremental costs would be minimal in the year 2023.

I remember when I was swing trading the internet bubble in 1999-20 there were these data storage companies that every one thought would be huge but they ended up not being necessary for what every reason.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:43 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:39 pm
D-train wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:

I doubt that. You aren't creating net new viewers. Out of market fans already have a subscription service they're willing to pay for. The question right now is how do you make the product available to local market viewers and how much money will you make on that?
10M subscribers is only 333k per franchise. Are you telling me there aren't that many per team will to pay $1.85 to watch a game when that is the only option. There are probably $5M Yankee, Red Sox and Dodger fans alone willing to do that.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:15 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:43 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:

10M subscribers is only 333k per franchise. Are you telling me there aren't that many per team will to pay $1.85 to watch a game when that is the only option. There are probably $5M Yankee, Red Sox and Dodger fans alone willing to do that.
For a lot of people a basic cable bill + internet bill is what they can afford these days with high housing, gas, and food costs compared to low wages made even lower by inflation. Many people cannot afford that sort of yearly cost.

A lot of wealth in Seattle these days comes from the tech world which is made up of a lot of transplants who don't care about the Mariners. Move around the Puget Sound in places like Puyallup and Maple Valley, etc. where there are a lot of die hard M's fans who have been pushed out of the city... it's a struggle.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:16 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:43 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:

What I'm saying is that you aren't magically creating new paying viewers. If you break the market into two segments, local (regional viewers) and out-of-market, both of those segments are being served right now under the existing system.

As for what the numbers would be under a single system, I'm willing to believe 10 million total would be payers at some price level, but certainly not $300.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:25 am

I've been wondering if MLB even lets teams offer their own streaming?

If they're all obligated to MLB.tv it seems odd that they'd be allowed to create their own online streaming service.

But then again I've heard about other teams that also have their own networks and offer streaming but haven't verified if that's the case myself.

Anybody know if other teams offer online streaming outside of MLB.tv?