New OC

Michael K.

Re: New OC

Post by Michael K. » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:38 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 pm

Of course he had say in personal, he had final word on his roster. But he didn't do JS's job for him. There was a reason he wanted a GM. He wasn't belichick, he didn't want to do the talent acquisition.
So, he wanted total control, but he didn't want control of the personnel? What exactly did he control with the FO then? Sorry, you seem to have some kind of job where your boss isn't your boss. Must be nice. PC was JS's boss, and I don't see him doing a ton of shit to piss off the boss, but still being there as long as he was. Not to mention, if it has no meaning, why did they now give that title to JS?

Pete was VERY involved in the personnel decisions, especially the draft and major trades and FA. Did he do all the phone calling around the league to set up trades, all the negotiating with FAs? Probably not, but if you think that JS added players to this roster that the VP of Football Ops didn't want? I'm going to have to disagree. I am also done with this conversation. The amount of credit PC got for personnel moves was incredible early on. Then the drafts went to shit, and guys like you want to minimize, for some ridiculous reason, the very influence he was credited for earlier. Honestly, being Pete Carroll in Seattle must have been so fucking nice. All the credit, none of the blame.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:51 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:38 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:01 pm

Of course he had say in personal, he had final word on his roster. But he didn't do JS's job for him. There was a reason he wanted a GM. He wasn't belichick, he didn't want to do the talent acquisition.
So, he wanted total control, but he didn't want control of the personnel? What exactly did he control with the FO then? Sorry, you seem to have some kind of job where your boss isn't your boss. Must be nice. PC was JS's boss, and I don't see him doing a ton of shit to piss off the boss, but still being there as long as he was. Not to mention, if it has no meaning, why did they now give that title to JS?

Pete was VERY involved in the personnel decisions, especially the draft and major trades and FA. Did he do all the phone calling around the league to set up trades, all the negotiating with FAs? Probably not, but if you think that JS added players to this roster that the VP of Football Ops didn't want? I'm going to have to disagree. I am also done with this conversation. The amount of credit PC got for personnel moves was incredible early on. Then the drafts went to shit, and guys like you want to minimize, for some ridiculous reason, the very influence he was credited for earlier. Honestly, being Pete Carroll in Seattle must have been so fucking nice. All the credit, none of the blame.
Just curious, JS is considered a great GM, and we are lucky to have him now in charge. But what actually did he do to earn that reputation? PC was responsible for everything, he was making all the decisions. JS sat in his office sharpening pencils? So what's so special about JS anyway?

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:57 pm

of course JS had a huge hand in player acquisition, but nonetheless somewhat limited as Pete had final say.
The title change combined with the experience level of the new HC (exactly zero in that capacity) makes clear to me that that final say is now his, not that he wont ever consider his coaches' opinions on players who fit their schemes.
In general i expect McDonald responsible for scheme, JS for players.
Though JS retains freedom to exercise control over schemes and the staff who runs them, fully expect McDonald to have a lot of leeway there and cant imagine JS exterting that authority to near the degree that Pete did.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:48 pm

57reasons wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:57 pm
of course JS had a huge hand in player acquisition, but nonetheless somewhat limited as Pete had final say.
The title change combined with the experience level of the new HC (exactly zero in that capacity) makes clear to me that that final say is now his, not that he wont ever consider his coaches' opinions on players who fit their schemes.
In general i expect McDonald responsible for scheme, JS for players.
Though JS retains freedom to exercise control over schemes and the staff who runs them, fully expect McDonald to have a lot of leeway there and cant imagine JS exterting that authority to near the degree that Pete did.
This

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 pm

I am going to predict our passing game with be better this season no matter who is QB....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 pm
I am going to predict our passing game with be better this season no matter who is QB....
I am trying to not be overly jacked, because when we went out and hired an ex-Ram as our OC? I was super pumped. And I really do think that early on with Waldron we were pretty darn creative. I don't know if teams figured it out and we didn't adapt, but it was sure fucking ugly ass offensive football of late.

But Grubb is not wrong. These WRs look a lot like the guys the Huskies have. Not sure Geno is the same explosive deep ball guy that Penix is, but I do think that Charb and Walker are better than DJ. Could be real fun if we get it all figured out quickly.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:11 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 pm
I am trying to not be overly jacked, because when we went out and hired an ex-Ram as our OC? I was super pumped. And I really do think that early on with Waldron we were pretty darn creative. I don't know if teams figured it out and we didn't adapt, but it was sure fucking ugly ass offensive football of late.

But Grubb is not wrong. These WRs look a lot like the guys the Huskies have. Not sure Geno is the same explosive deep ball guy that Penix is, but I do think that Charb and Walker are better than DJ. Could be real fun if we get it all figured out quickly.
You know they fired Pete Carroll? LOL
dt

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:37 am

Did the Hawks give walking papers to every single person in the org who had the word coach anywhere in his job title?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:48 am

maoling wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:37 am
Did the Hawks give walking papers to every single person in the org who had the word coach anywhere in his job title?
It is typical that a new HC brings in all new assistants. MM did retain Karl Scott though.

https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/
dt

douche

Post by douche » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:28 pm

Shead is gone, as is all of the leftover Carroll crumbs. Which is perfectly okay with me.

I'm with Michael, trying not to be overly excited, even though I am. :D