Bullpen issues already?

D-train

Re: Bullpen issues already?

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:23 am

Somebody better tell SS it is only Spring Training. I am glad he has a sense of urgency this season. Hopefully it will prevent another bad start.
Screenshot 2024-03-04 7.12.24 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 7.12.24 PM.png (83.64 KiB) Viewed 207 times
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:19 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:20 pm
You really think they would be letting him throw again this soon if it was his UCL?
I was simply correcting your error where you said it was posterior elbow. UCL is not posterior elbow. He has the option for surgery, and elected against it according to reports. So could the inflammation be of the UCL area? Absolutely. Robbie Ray seemed encouraged with his elbow strain (which by definition is muscle injury) last year.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ng%20elbow.

He ended up having UCL. So until break is pitching and makes it through the a few weeks of hard throwing, I’m gong to still be a little worried that he could end up needing UCL surgery, especially when they say it’s medical encore, and they had already given him the option of surgery. I don’t know if they know definitively what’s causing the inflammation though
Last edited by Juliooooo on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:30 pm

What causes the inflammation anyway?

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:00 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:30 pm
That’s the question. Could be overuse, could be a mild tear of a muscle or tendon. MRIs and ultrasounds don’t detect everything. They might have given him a PRP injection to see if that helps it heal.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:57 pm

So in two weeks Brash experienced complete muscle atrophy to the point where he goes from pitching in games to now having to completely start over like he was in a coma for a year. I get being cautious but this seems extreme.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:03 pm

The build up part is probably Divish's interpretation. My guess is they will see how he feels tomorrow and then ramp up fairly quickly as opposed to wasting two weeks playing catch every other day.

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:05 pm

dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:21 pm

I'm no MD, but I do have a background in biology.

The best answer is that there could be a ton of things that cause inflammation. In a general sense, inflammation is the body's way of dealing with injury. Blood vessels open up and become "leaky" which allows cells involved with healing into the site of injury. But inflammation also creates pressure which presses on nerves and leads to pain and soreness.

In sports, there are a bunch of reasons why a joint may get inflamed: injured or torn muscles or ligaments surrounding the joint, stress on fluid-filled sacs surrounding joints (bursitis), or strain on the tendons that attach bone to muscle (tendonitis), dislocations, strains, sprains, and fractures can all lead to an inflammatory response. That, and just the goofy-assed physics involved with throwing a baseball at 95 mph over and over again can stress joints.

Dunno if this helped or not.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:59 pm

Marinertalk.com the WebMD of sports forums. lol
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:26 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:21 pm
I'm no MD, but I do have a background in biology.

The best answer is that there could be a ton of things that cause inflammation. In a general sense, inflammation is the body's way of dealing with injury. Blood vessels open up and become "leaky" which allows cells involved with healing into the site of injury. But inflammation also creates pressure which presses on nerves and leads to pain and soreness.

In sports, there are a bunch of reasons why a joint may get inflamed: injured or torn muscles or ligaments surrounding the joint, stress on fluid-filled sacs surrounding joints (bursitis), or strain on the tendons that attach bone to muscle (tendonitis), dislocations, strains, sprains, and fractures can all lead to an inflammatory response. That, and just the goofy-assed physics involved with throwing a baseball at 95 mph over and over again can stress joints.

Dunno if this helped or not.
Sure - thanks.