Post-Mortem: Seahawks v Philthy

auroraave

Post-Mortem: Seahawks v Philthy

Post by auroraave » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 pm

After my eleventh straight week of going around apologizing to the neighbors after a seahawk game, (sorrynotsorry) let's settle in for some post malone, er, mortem goodness.

There's two ways you can look at yesterdays game...
"we won, but goddammit that offense looked like shit!"
or...
"Goddammit that offense looked like shit and we still won!

I generally live life leaning hard into pessimism and sarcasm, but dammit if I don't fall into the second category, shockingly.

Yeah, I totally saw 9-2 coming. See? That's the sarcasm slipping out into the ether. But damn, 9-2? I liked the roster and draft additions and thought we would have the deepest backfield in the league, and then we go out and get Clowney and it was hard to contain my excitement. The biggest acquisition may be Quandry Diggs. Dude's balling, and are my eyes deceiving me or is that whole secondary coming on?

Let's set the table correctly here - Philly is banged up, Wentz looked like hot garbage, that wind didn't help at all, but... Seattle went in and took care of business to go 6-0 on the road. Eat My Shorts Century Link. Out of the blue, or the gray as it may be, comes a Seattle pass rush most recently found on an array of milk cartons across the country - and yesterday they harassed Wentz like he owed them money - without Clowney and then Reed.

Game balls:

The defense all the way around - they simply didn't let Philly take control of the game and they limited Zach Ertz, the only weapon they had left, to only 91 yards on 14 targets - a pretty pedestrian day for him, considering he was the offense. Let's get specific...
KJ Wright - 12 tackles.
Shaquim Griffin - a revelation off the edge?
Trey Flowers - seven tackles, three passes defensed and a pick
Quint0n Jefferson for going Usain Bolt with the fumble, then trying to pitch it off as he was going down. That was my favorite play of the game. "Hey, if I can't take it to the house, you do it!"

Brian Schottenheimer - continuing to call surprising games, while staying close to PC ball. The flea flicker? That ice water bomb to Lockett on third down. Feeding Penny.

Rashaad Penny. Finally, Michael K's faith and patience in his favorite first round pick pays off. Penny needs to realize he's not Carson and shed some weight, because even as a big boy, he can motherf'n fly. Love to see him leaner. His burst is a sight to behold. Michael, if you could send us your jersey size preference and home address, The Pro and I, over post game herbal tea, decided to go in on a Penny jersey for you. :P

WTF?
DK - dude, c'mon now. You gotta make those catches. He gets a slight reprieve because weather may have affected the ball, but he set the bar high early, so now he's expected to make the big boy catches.

That's about it for offensive highlights - RW did not have a memorable day, but he didn't have his worst outing. DK's drops were big because those were potential door-slamming plays - as was the (kinda hilarious) miss to a wide open Hollister.

So, yeah, you can take the glass is half full route, or the glass is half empty route, but the truth is the glass is about 81% full 'cause these guys are 9-2 and control their own destiny. If the Seahawks take down Minnesota on Monday night to reach 10-2, I think the chatter about Pete Carroll for COTY will heat up - in a division they were picked to finish second or third by most, this is already a spectacular season that no one saw coming. This division is a f'n meat grinder again this year - and for those of you penciling in Arizona as a gimme - you have been warned. They are playing feisty football lately and will not be an easy out - they always give Seattle fits at Clink, so Carroll and Co better have them ready. The Lambs and 9ers are going to be bloodbath battles that Seattle will not be favored in either. The division is still SF's to lose.

This team is grinding out hard wins, the roster additions are paying huge dividends, the defense appears to be hitting it's stride, but most of all, this team is known for coming together late in the season - so, if you're 9-2 and are just now coming together, well, that's pretty terrifying notion if you have to play them - or if you're my neighbors.

Go Hawks.

seattlefan-daBronx

Re: Post-Mortem: Seahawks v Philthy

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Nice post post Aurora!
You'll make Hawks fans out of your neighbors yet. :lol:

IMHO Diggs is the shizzle! He's my team MVP and here's why...
He has solidified that secondary with a veteran presence at the safety position.
This only makes better and mentors McDougald.
He is "reading" the play. He waits to see the options an opposing QB has BEFORE attacking.
Allows the corners to play more man-to-man vs the wide-outs.
Allows the d-line to now do their job!
Clowney and company can focus on a pass rush.
Something we've been crying for at least two years.
I take back everything bad I said about Earl Thomas...got no safety...you are screwed.
Diggs is a baller too...he got hit for another penalty yesterday...but I absolutely love the bone-crushing hits he puts on these guys trying to cross over the middle. You know they hear his shadow coming on a slant pass!
(I die a little each time they throw a flag for that stuff too...metrosexual zebras !&*^%$#...the new N.F.L....not for football).

Gordon and DK have yet to inflict their will on teams. BUT you know it's coming too. Just haven't peaked yet.
With no dougie B...and an injured Lockett...how huge are those guys on our team???
By the way I love how we are using our tight ends this year...got to be the mind of Shotty...credit due.

Pete's teams always seem to gel at the end of a season..."Maybe it takes that long to get into football shape?"
"Maybe the team finally buys into everything the coaches preach" "Maybe the teams starts believing more in each other".
...not sure...but at 9-2 we could be in for something special again...the stars are aligning people.

How sweet would it be to come down to the last game of the season...the division on the line...against the 40whiners...in our house!
We need that 1st round bye week...to rest...and make a real run for the trophy.

Go Hawks!
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:10 pm

The stats probably won't back me up, but my memory has the Pete Carroll era Seahawks always struggling a little offensively off the bye week. Similar to my theory RW doesn't play well in the rain. I think the main thing is the defense seems to be getting much better.

maoling

Post by maoling » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Eagles' Fan After the Game:

"If you have a kid who is misbehaving, cutting up in school or whatever and you need to punish him, you don't need to spank him or take away his bicycle or cell phone. All you need to do is sit him down in in front of the TV, tie him to a chair and make him watch the Eagles' Offense for three hours.

After that, whatever your kid was doing wrong, I guarantee he will promise never to do it again."
Last edited by maoling on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm

maoling wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:33 pm

"If you have kid who is misbehaving, cutting up in school or whatever and you need to punish him, you don't need to spank him or take away his bicycle or cell phone. All you need to do is sit him down in in front of the TV, tie him to a chair and make him watch the Eagles' Offense for three hours.

After that, whatever your kid was doing wrong, I guarantee he will promise never to do it again."
Now it's your turn to stay gold, Ponyboy. How you doin'?

maoling

Post by maoling » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm
maoling wrote:

"If you have kid who is misbehaving, cutting up in school or whatever and you need to punish him, you don't need to spank him or take away his bicycle or cell phone. All you need to do is sit him down in in front of the TV, tie him to a chair and make him watch the Eagles' Offense for three hours.

Trying to get my feet back on the ground after the passing of my wife, Aurora. 9-2 has been a help, but I would have appreciated Green Bay not acting like a chew toy last night. See you around the stable sometime. ;)

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:43 pm

I can not believe that SF GB score but the division is ours to lose. We just need to beat them at home and finish tied or better and we win the division.
dt

maoling

Post by maoling » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:43 pm
I can not believe that SF GB score but the division is ours to lose. We just need to beat them at home and finish tied or better and we win the division.
I really thought the Whiners were going to get exposed as not-elite last night and it would continue a run that would see them sitting at 9-4 in a couple weeks as we blow by them. Now it looks like it might come down to the final game of the regular season to decide it. Hope they dump their next two, because we don't have a walk in the park either.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:48 pm

maoling wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:42 pm
auroraave wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 pm
maoling wrote:

Trying to get my feet back on the ground after the passing of my wife, Aurora. 9-2 has been a help, but I would have appreciated Green Bay not acting like a chew toy last night. See you around the stable sometime. ;)
Damn dude, most sincere condolences. That f'n sucks. Hope you're holding up as best you can.

maoling

Post by maoling » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks Aurora, been a wicked 15 weeks. She was gone September 24, 56 days after her Stage IV diagnoses. Fuck cancer.

And fuck the 49ers!