3 most over looked positive changes

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: 3 most over looked positive changes

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:08 pm
The D line was the priority. That is where the money has gone the past two seasons.
They're also losing $31 mil of their salary capacity to dead cap hits from Adams' and Diggs' contracts (12% of the total payroll space for players).

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:30 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:42 pm
D-train wrote:
The D line was the priority. That is where the money has gone the past two seasons.
They're also losing $31 mil of their salary capacity to dead cap hits from Adams' and Diggs' contracts (12% of the total payroll space for players).
Two guys still unemployed....
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:41 pm

The regression by Diggs was an odd one to me. I imagine shit like that happens. With Adams? I hate to say it, but how do you not pay that guy after you gave up so much to go get him? I just always go back to PC not knowing how to use him, and that blows me away. Think back to the first year, how he was flying around at the LOS. I also can’t imagine that he all of a sudden forgot how to cover.

Sorry, but I have flat out HATED Pete’s defenses for some time. The NFL figured him out, and he stubbornly refused to adapt. Diggs and Adams aren’t the only guys unemployed. Again, how is it that Pete still wants to coach, but there are ZERO rumors of him landing anywhere?

Great guy, great motivator, but his schemes are archaic. And he has shown zero ability to adapt to that fact. I also can’t believe that there aren’t football people out there that look at the assistants he not only hired, but they way they never seemed to improve. Waldron and his offense looked light years better the first half of the first season than they ever did again. Same with Schotty. Hell, Bevell and his offense shattered records the second half of the year after the Super Bowl loss. What is the common denominator to this success never continuing? Fuck, Pete flat out admitted that he wasn’t comfortable winning the way they were when Russ looked like an MVP during their 7 and 1 start a few years back. But he was comfortable finishing 4 and 5 after the Rams beat us at home in the first round with a QB basically missing his throwing hand!

Nwadventure

Post by Nwadventure » Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:00 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:41 pm
The regression by Diggs was an odd one to me. I imagine shit like that happens. With Adams? I hate to say it, but how do you not pay that guy after you gave up so much to go get him? I just always go back to PC not knowing how to use him, and that blows me away. Think back to the first year, how he was flying around at the LOS. I also can’t imagine that he all of a sudden forgot how to cover.

Sorry, but I have flat out HATED Pete’s defenses for some time. The NFL figured him out, and he stubbornly refused to adapt. Diggs and Adams aren’t the only guys unemployed. Again, how is it that Pete still wants to coach, but there are ZERO rumors of him landing anywhere?

Great guy, great motivator, but his schemes are archaic. And he has shown zero ability to adapt to that fact. I also can’t believe that there aren’t football people out there that look at the assistants he not only hired, but they way they never seemed to improve. Waldron and his offense looked light years better the first half of the first season than they ever did again. Same with Schotty. Hell, Bevell and his offense shattered records the second half of the year after the Super Bowl loss. What is the common denominator to this success never continuing? Fuck, Pete flat out admitted that he wasn’t comfortable winning the way they were when Russ looked like an MVP during their 7 and 1 start a few years back. But he was comfortable finishing 4 and 5 after the Rams beat us at home in the first round with a QB basically missing his throwing hand!
Its hard to be Seahawks fan and not be upset with the last 3-4 years under Pete- It was just madness trying to make any sense of what he was trying to do on so many levels - Watching very winnable games just fall to nothing in the 2nd half, enduring some of the worst defensive schemes I have ever seen and much more -

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:09 am

D-train wrote:
Their approach to offensive lines goes back more than two seasons. It seems pretty consistent the entire PCJS era with a few tackle and center exceptions. They have been known for cheap inexperienced lines. Yeah, the defense in general got the dough, as well as RW. That was the point of the conversions, finding cheap linemen, both money and draft capital. Thought it interesting JS sticking to it after Pete's exit

Here actually is JSs attitude towards guards
What's behind Schneider's thrifty mindset when it comes to the guard position? Speaking with Dave Wyman and Bob Stelton of Seattle Sports 710 last Thursday, he opined that other teams tend to invest more in the position both in terms of money and draft capital than they should.

“Guys get overdrafted at that position and, in my opinion, they get overpaid," Schneider remarked
So yeah, what's changed is the coaching rather than model. I mentioned back when Huff was hired it be interesting to see if his coaching style would translate to the pros. I think that's the major hurdle terms of a college coach moving to the pros. Their approach working with men as opposed to kids. Pro players aren't interested to be handled like they are back in college. Seems to be working well

There was doubt Pete's approach would play in the NFL but it did
."It's very collegial," said former Ravens coach and NFL Network analyst Brian Billick, who worked the Seahawks' last two games as a color analyst for FOX. "But it's a mentality the players are buying into. Can you sustain that over a longer period of time? We'll see. But Pete is so consistent with his energy for it."

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:44 pm

Those quotes sound like they are from the Cable era. Not that Pete and John weren’t around then…but I am not sure that still matches their philosophy.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:43 pm

The quotes are this year from just before the draft. That's JS with a very current opinion. It's an interesting read actually, Corbin Smith. JS does in fact wait until the 3rd round.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... ree-agency
But as evidenced by his comments and roster moves this offseason thus far, Schneider isn't changing his beliefs on the value of guards and based on previous track record, it won't be surprising if he bypasses picking a blue chip prospect such as Powers-Johnson in the first round. Instead, he will wait until a later round to address the situation, banking on a new coaching staff making the most of the talent provided to them from the bargain bin, including Bradford, Anchrum, and whoever comes in via the draft to compete.

Now in full control of personnel decisions after the departure of Carroll, if he doesn't select a guard early or picks one that can't immediately make an impact in the starting lineup, a neglected offensive line could once again hamper the Seahawks in Macdonald's first season on the sideline. By choosing to stick to his guns and not making adjustments to how he allocates resources to the line of scrimmage, Schneider may feel his cozy seat become a lot hotter in quick fashion.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:19 pm

I guess I missed the part that it was just his theory on Guards. I tend to agree, TBH, at least about taking them after the first two rounds, and I also believe it’s a big reason they never moved Ifedi inside. They used a high pick on him so needed to keep him at Tackle. It was a poor decision, IMO, it I believe his draft position had a lot to do with it.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:24 am

If they go with Bradford at RG to start the season then the Seahawk's interior o-line will hands down be the league's worst. I feel badly for Geno and the RBs if that is the case. Not that Haynes being NFL ready from day one would make them a good unit, but it would certainly give one hope that they are headed in the right direction.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:14 pm

From what I've been reading Haynes isn't on track to be an immediate starter. He hasn't been getting reps so far in the off season. See what developments come out of training camp
When asked about why Curtis was getting that work over Haynes, Macdonald mentioned Curtis “knows multiple spots.”

“I haven’t learned yet to decode Mike Macdonald-ese, but it sounded like, ‘Well, this one guy knows the plays,’” Salk said.