Potential trade targets from potential sellers and their numbers since 6/1

desbcoach

Re: Potential trade targets from potential sellers and their numbers since 6/1

Post by desbcoach » Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:57 pm

Personal opinion but at this point we have way too many holes to fill and cannot be done at this deadline. I also don’t trust this front office to find hitters or to not get desperate and overpay to by to much

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:57 pm

Personal opinion but at this point we have way too many holes to fill and cannot be done at this deadline. I also don’t trust this front office to find hitters or to not get desperate and overpay to by to much

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:05 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:57 pm
I agree to some degree but the fact that they haven't already traded for a bat or two shows they are trying not to overpay otherwise they just would have taken whatever the other team asked for. You see all these proposed trades online and they all have us giving up too much for some of these bats in my opinion especially when some are nothing more than a rental. So hopefully they are just waiting it out trying to drive the price down hoping they got the best offer of prospects.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:18 pm

Personally I’m fine with overpaying as long as the trades are for proven MLB hitters who are currently performing. The M’s have a once in a generation starting pitching staff who are all counting the days until they can sign with a team that will provide some run support. But instead of trading for bats, Jerry and Co. are (at best) searching the bargain bin so they can continue to lay claim to a highly ranked farm system. A farm system that should produce some hitters just about the time all of our young starting pitchers are happily signing elsewhere.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:32 pm

Honestly, they ought to look at selling at this point. This is a sellers market. Find a team that needs some starting pitching and has some top 20 prospects I'd like to deal Castillo if we could. He is too inconsistent for my liking and I'd like to dedicate his salary to some bats in the coming offseason.

tehmc

Post by tehmc » Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:48 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:32 pm
Honestly, they ought to look at selling at this point. This is a sellers market. Find a team that needs some starting pitching and has some top 20 prospects I'd like to deal Castillo if we could. He is too inconsistent for my liking and I'd like to dedicate his salary to some bats in the coming offseason.
I hate to agree with you but if their plan is to dumpster dive for bats then I'd rather they trade a starter for a legitimate close to the majors prospect bat.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:53 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Castillo has surprisingly taken a step backwards this year - might be good to sell while he's at peak value. He's just not as dominant this year as he was when we first got him. He started to take a step back at the end of last year it seemed and that has just continued.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:29 pm

Lamda wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:53 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Castillo has surprisingly taken a step backwards this year - might be good to sell while he's at peak value. He's just not as dominant this year as he was when we first got him. He started to take a step back at the end of last year it seemed and that has just continued.
I think they should trade him also. Maybe attach Polanco or Garver, and I think they could still get a great player for 1B or RF in return.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:49 pm

Thing is they won't do it now as it would hurt our playoff chances with only Hancock to replace him - but look for that to happen in the offseason. I will say though - if we make it to the playoffs by some miracle - the rotation for those games better be Gilbert - Kirby - Castillo .... don't have Catillo pitch 2 games!!!

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:17 pm

Lamda wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:49 pm
Thing is they won't do it now as it would hurt our playoff chances with only Hancock to replace him - but look for that to happen in the offseason. I will say though - if we make it to the playoffs by some miracle - the rotation for those games better be Gilbert - Kirby - Castillo .... don't have Catillo pitch 2 games!!!
Hancock has a 2.06 ERA in Tacoma. He just pitched a complete game shutout against Reno on Sunday. I don't think the downgrade would be as big as most people would think.