The Players
7%
Ownership
43%

Total votes: 42

bpj

POLL: Who is to blame?

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:24 am

Somehow we're sitting in first place and it still feels like one of the worst teams we've had in awhile.

Who do you blame most?

Pick up to 2.

seattlefan-daBronx

Re: POLL: Who is to blame?

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:50 pm

There's a reason Cali. dumped Dipoto.
We always get sloppy seconds and it sucks.

For me Jerry is to blame. You get two dweebs for one with Jerry because his butt buddy is Scott.

Axe Jerry and Scott goes too.

Core of Raleigh, Julio, and maybe Raley? I don't even like JP personally.
We don't even need big names at this point just a few bats that any fight in them and some pop.

It was good to get Gabe and Santos back in the pen but we still need another arm too in the pen.

Garver, Polanco, Haniger are all washed up and that's on Jerry. Play the kids. Gets some reinforcements via trades.
Doesn't work. Fire the entire staff.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:34 pm

I'm a big believer in ultimate responsibility.....so The Ownership is to blame.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:43 pm

I blame Dipoto and ownership, Dipoto staff has done great with pitching but really from day 1 on hitting has been a failure. Give him Hanniger and France but way more misses and Stanton continues to support what Dipoto is doing by being cheap

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:57 pm

The answer is to go back to when we were 10 games ahead.

See who was taking all the credit and plaudits at that time and it's the same person/people that deserve to take the blame now. Easy but I CBA.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:20 pm

Ownership >Dipoto >>servais >>>>>>players.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:28 pm

Yeah, yeah - ownership is cheap. We coulda and shoulda gone after big names in free agency.

But the fact is, this team has had, and does have talent. We have excellent players on the roster today who are objectively underperforming (JP and Julio, for example).

We have guys who have established themselves as excellent hitters before and/or after we had them in Mariners uniforms (Teo, Winker, Kelenic, France, etc)

And we have players on the current roster that started sucking as soon as they got here (Polanco, Raley and Garver).

Most of the players I listed are not tippy top tier players, but they also weren’t bottom feeders.

So I place our current state of utter suckage squarely in the hands of the players and the coaching staff. Yeah, we didn’t land Judge or Ohtani, but we did get some talent whose stats tanked as soon as they got to Seattle, and that often got better once they left.

Bad coaching is what you’re left with.

Or a goofy batter’s eye and a heavy marine layer.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:15 pm

I do believe that ownership should spend more money but Jerry hasn't used the resources that he has wisely so I don't know that spending more money would necessarily make that much of a difference. Dipotos list of bad moves is staggering. 24 Million for Garver. Lifetime Contract to Julio before he had even played a full MLB season. Gave Evan White a 6 year Major League deal while he was still in AA. Overpaid for Marco Gonzalez and Robbie Ray and then doubled down by making bad trades to offload their salaries. Constantly giving big contracts to mediocre relievers. Consistently trades for Duds. Polonco, Urias, Haniger, Wong, Hernandez, Winker, Frazier Etc. Frankly the guy is horrible at assembling a roster. The only reason he still has a job is because they have done well drafting and developing pitching. Other than that the whole organization is a dumpster fire.

OLdvanDawg

Post by OLdvanDawg » Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:12 pm

Where is SS and the rest of the coaching staff when the roster is being set up. Shouldn't they have some say in who they have on the roster?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:26 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:15 pm
I do believe that ownership should spend more money but Jerry hasn't used the resources that he has wisely so I don't know that spending more money would necessarily make that much of a difference. Dipotos list of bad moves is staggering. 24 Million for Garver. Lifetime Contract to Julio before he had even played a full MLB season. Gave Evan White a 6 year Major League deal while he was still in AA. Overpaid for Marco Gonzalez and Robbie Ray and then doubled down by making bad trades to offload their salaries. Constantly giving big contracts to mediocre relievers. Consistently trades for Duds. Polonco, Urias, Haniger, Wong, Hernandez, Winker, Frazier Etc. Frankly the guy is horrible at assembling a roster. The only reason he still has a job is because they have done well drafting and developing pitching. Other than that the whole organization is a dumpster fire.
Completely agree. Though, I didn't follow directions very well...because I only chose one. I think the players have to take some blame as well, and feel they are in line right after Jerry. Dogshit preparation and they are all trying so hard to hit the ball 400 feet they can't hit it at all.