tehmc's Offseason Plan

D-train

Re: tehmc's Offseason Plan

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:18 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:10 pm
Gilbert is also going to get expensive
That is why he is in no hurry to sign an extension for a team in which he put up a 3.23 ERA, a 0.89 WHIP and went 9-12 and missed the playoffs AGAIN.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:35 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:15 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:57 pm
I've read a few articles lately that suggest the M's are not making moves to extend Logan Gilbert. In the same breath, pundits are saying that IF the M's trade a pitcher this offseason that it won't be Castillo. He has a no trade clause, and he's worth too much. He's only likely to approve a trade to winning teams like the Yankees, Mets or Dodgers, and they're the most likely teams to absorb his contract.

Sooooo...unless the M's are planning a trade with the big 3, Castillo is unlikely to be moved. And if the M's are planning to trade a pitcher at all (which contradicts what they're saying publicly), then it's likely to be for one of our younger, cheaper, more controllable arms.

Could Gilbert be that guy? In other words, could Gilbert be a one for one trade for Westburg rather than Miller in this trade scenario?
When has Jerry contradicted his public statements about his off season plans with actions during the offseason? I honestly can't think of a single time. He has a million faults but always does what he says he is going to do or not do in this case..
So in no universe is tehmc's proposed move #2 coming to fruition? We aren't moving any of our starting pitchers according to management, so the Miller for Westburg is as improbable as Gilbert for Westburg.

I'm not being argumentative. I agree that Dipoto means what he says, and he says what he means. That being the case, no trade proposals involving our starting pitchers are viable. Or, more specifically, they may be moves that we want to happen, but moves that are unlikely to happen...

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:38 pm

I actually agree with Jerry on this believe it or not. It is a net zero sum game. With those trades our offense gets better and our rotation gets worse. JUST TRADE OUR TOP PROSPECTS. Our offense gets better and our rotation stays the same and our farm gets worse (who f-ing cares)
dt

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:01 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:38 pm
I actually agree with Jerry on this believe it or not. It is a net zero sum game. With those trades our offense gets better and our rotation gets worse. JUST TRADE OUR TOP PROSPECTS. Our offense gets better and our rotation stays the same and our farm gets worse (who f-ing cares)
Oh the life of a minor-league baseball fan, as soon as your guys improve, you lose them.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:58 am

Remember when the mariners were planning to move to Tampa my hardcore baseball fan buddy trying to convince me it would be a positive development. That then we could focus on minor league baseball which would be much more rewarding

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:33 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:38 pm
Some guys will get traded. You just hope the ones they keep are the right ones.