On to the next

Donn Beach
Posts: 21225
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: On to the next

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:23 pm

of course they are fighting them, its why they get to collect union dues. It be like having a lawyer on retainer who wont bother to fight your speeding ticket

trharder
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:47 am

Re: On to the next

Post by trharder » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:41 pm

Donn Beach wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:23 pm
of course they are fighting them, its why they get to collect union dues. It be like having a lawyer on retainer who wont bother to fight your speeding ticket
True.
Also true the NFL could virtually stomp on their face. The union has only one client.

trharder
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:47 am

Re: On to the next

Post by trharder » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:47 pm

D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:23 pm
I'm sure there are a dozen or so tools officiating games but this notion that there is suddenly an infestation of ego maniacs seems over blown to me...
It keeps happening throughout the year I reconsider this position.
"Dozens" = at least 24.
For me, that is indeed an infestation which is under blown.
Like you intimated and I said, they will dial it back enough to escape back under the radar, but the culture will remain unless stronger
measures are taken.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83517
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: On to the next

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:47 pm

Unions were needed in the case of a Monopsony. Best example is a small town in West by God Virginia that had a big Coal Mining company as the only employer. But now they are obsolete for the most part. If someone would rather go on strike and not get paid at all rather than just moving on to a company that will pay them the market rate, then you know they are overpaid in terms of market value.
dt

trharder
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:47 am

Re: On to the next

Post by trharder » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:53 pm

D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:47 pm
Unions were needed in the case of a Monopsony. Best example is a small town in West by God Virginia that had a big Coal Mining company as the only employer. But now they are obsolete for the most part. If someone would rather go on strike and not get paid at all rather than just moving on to a company that will pay them the market rate, then you know they are overpaid in terms of market value.
I'm not too proud to admit, I had to look up that word.
If this is an analogy, I don't get it. I'm not even sure of your point.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83517
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: On to the next

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:57 pm

trharder wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:47 pm
D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:23 pm
I'm sure there are a dozen or so tools officiating games but this notion that there is suddenly an infestation of ego maniacs seems over blown to me...
It keeps happening throughout the year I reconsider this position.
"Dozens" = at least 24.
For me, that is indeed an infestation which is under blown.
Like you intimated and I said, they will dial it back enough to escape back under the radar, but the culture will remain unless stronger
measures are taken.
There are about 7 x 16 = 112 officials. I just don't have enough info to conclude that egomania is the primary issue because I have never met any of them. But just based on human nature, 24/112 (20%) sounds about right from my experience.

btw how are they going to root them out and on what grounds will they fire them?
dt

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83517
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: On to the next

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:58 pm

trharder wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:53 pm
D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:47 pm
Unions were needed in the case of a Monopsony. Best example is a small town in West by God Virginia that had a big Coal Mining company as the only employer. But now they are obsolete for the most part. If someone would rather go on strike and not get paid at all rather than just moving on to a company that will pay them the market rate, then you know they are overpaid in terms of market value.
I'm not too proud to admit, I had to look up that word.
If this is an analogy, I don't get it. I'm not even sure of your point.
I am saying if the officials were worth what they are getting paid they wouldn't need a Union. I have never been in a Union and have been VERY happy getting paid what I have.
dt

trharder
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:47 am

Re: On to the next

Post by trharder » Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:28 pm

D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:57 pm
btw how are they going to root them out and on what grounds will they fire them?
I would start with the ones who are self-identifying. Do we need to go over that list with you again?
The NFL likely has a fleet of lawyers. There is likely many ways to fire a ref, or force the union to do it.
I realize this would likely require a new contract with the union and likely lead to a strike or lock out.
Which I'm 100% in favor of.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83517
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: On to the next

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:34 pm

trharder wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:28 pm
D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:57 pm
btw how are they going to root them out and on what grounds will they fire them?
I would start with the ones who are self-identifying. Do we need to go over that list with you again?
The NFL likely has a fleet of lawyers. There is likely many ways to fire a ref, or force the union to do it.
I realize this would likely require a new contract with the union and likely lead to a strike or lock out.
Which I'm 100% in favor of.
The two guys that got suspended definitely self identified but I don't think the Ref that did our game falls into that group. You just can't prove his motivation..
dt

Michael K.
Posts: 14771
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 am

Re: On to the next

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:13 pm

D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:34 pm
trharder wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:28 pm
D-train wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:57 pm
btw how are they going to root them out and on what grounds will they fire them?
I would start with the ones who are self-identifying. Do we need to go over that list with you again?
The NFL likely has a fleet of lawyers. There is likely many ways to fire a ref, or force the union to do it.
I realize this would likely require a new contract with the union and likely lead to a strike or lock out.
Which I'm 100% in favor of.
The two guys that got suspended definitely self identified but I don't think the Ref that did our game falls into that group. You just can't prove his motivation..
If I suck at my job, my motivation for sucking matters not one bit. The crew that did the Hawks game on Sunday have sucked all year. Shit can their asses. Make an example of these Jackwads that seem to think a flag every third snap is what is needed. I PROMISE you, if the ruckus caused by the two flag football games out of four that this crew had officiated had been warranted? The NFL would have come out by know and backed them. They have not, which means my guess is when they self scouted these games? They found that it didn't need to be officiated so heavy handedly.

Post Reply