Looks like we could have May baseball

Bil522

Re: Looks like we could have May baseball

Post by Bil522 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:58 am

Most of the players played on select teams growing up. You get done with the game, hop in Mom and Dad's car and go home. No need to shower because you aren't going anywhere other than the hotel because nothing is open. I just think it is really doable with the same risk as driving home after a night out

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:50 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:14 pm
I would really like to see the electronic strike system put in place...perfect time to try
From the rumors I've heard:

1. Electronic Umpires
2. No mound visits(including catchers) not sure how they plan to do that without translators.
3. Double-header will be shortened to 7 innings each.
4. Players will maintain a 6 foot radius. This means sitting in the stands, not in the dugouts.

If there was ever a time explore rules, this would be the year.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am

what is the point of a seven inning game...not buying that one

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:20 am

Will there be a 10-run rule, too?
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:33 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am
what is the point of a seven inning game...not buying that one
Its shorter than 9 innings. So 14 innings a day or night instead of 18.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 pm

14 innings of what...not baseball games, that is what I don't understand, what is the point of having more of them if they are not actually games. I would rather have a season of 70 actual games than 140 pseudo games. Season is going to be strange enough without losing any semblance if it corresponding to a normal baseball season

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:17 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 pm
14 innings of what...not baseball games, that is what I don't understand, what is the point of having more of them if they are not actually games. I would rather have a season of 70 actual games than 140 pseudo games. Season is going to be strange enough without losing any semblance if it corresponding to a normal baseball season
Yeah, especially when the revenue is not increased by playing 2 7 inning games vs. 1 9 inning game. Or maybe it would be with more time for commercials.... Attendance revenue would obviously be the same.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 pm

ha!...more revenue, hadn't thought of that, don't know how they would do it but if it was possible. I am gonna assume its not gonna happen, but even having it talked about. Leave it to the mariners to win a WS in a season of seven inning games, everybody could say, well yeah that was that weird season, doesn't really count

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 pm
ha!...more revenue, hadn't thought of that, don't know how they would do it but if it was possible. I am gonna assume its not gonna happen, but even having it talked about. Leave it to the mariners to win a WS in a season of seven inning games, everybody could say, well yeah that was that weird season, doesn't really count
That would have been the case if we had done it in 95 as well albeit no weirdo game changing rules....
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm

The old PCL always had doubleheaders start an hour early.... 6 PM.... with the first game only 7 innings and the second 9 innings if possible with no innings starting after midnight. I watched a fantastic weekend of baseball between the Rainiers and Phoenix Giants in the 50's. The first game (7 innings) ended up going 21 innings and ended about twenty minutes to one in the morning.The score was 1-1 at the end of seven and ended up 4-3 with the Rainiers coming back from deficits three times, each time with two outs in the innings...the Friday night game went 14 innings with the Rainiers scoring 5 runs in the 14th inning to win by a run..... all happening when the Giants walked the closer, Bill Kennedy with two out and no one on base, down by 4 runs..... (walk, single, error, home run, home run). One of the home runs was hit by Carroll Hardy. I think McCovey and one of the Alou brothers were on the Phoenix team. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a seven inning first game of a doubleheader. I think that would be better..... namely 16 innings rather than scheduling 14 or 18. Just an opinion.

The stadium could have limited attendance, imo.... even if that meant 6 foot separation and limited food services.... all that would gradually increase. And television would be absolutely a healthy distraction for Americans.... We need to get back as soon as possible.