Looks like we could have May baseball

Donn Beach

Re: Looks like we could have May baseball

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:07 pm
After that they should gradually transition to regular stadiums but limit ticket sales to 10-15k a game to allow for social distancing. A lot of teams won't even notice a difference. :)
nothing in this about transitioning, seems this is about saving the season or forgetting about it.
"It's either this or nothing," said one industry source with direct knowledge of the Arizona plan.
It would be doable to have all 30 teams move into the Valley of the Sun and play perhaps even a full 162-game schedule that could begin June 1 and conclude at the end of October. With the hope that the disease might abate elsewhere in the country by then, the wild-card games and division series could be staged in Arizona, with neutral domed sites for the League Championship Series and World Series in November.

It would be necessary, of course, to play 15 games a day.

There are 10 spring training ballparks in Maricopa County. In addition, there’s Phoenix Municipal Stadium, which used to be home to the Oakland A’s and now hosts Arizona State; two more yards 90 miles away in Tucson; and Chase Field, the retractable-roof facility used by the Arizona Diamondbacks.
So do the Dbacks get to play in air conditioning and everybody else under that sun? They are going to play double headers in that heat on spring training fields?...wild

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:26 am

I could be wrong but I don't think it really starts to cook in AZ until June. Hopefully they will be playing night games there and then play the twin bills at the usual places.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:52 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:26 am
I could be wrong but I don't think it really starts to cook in AZ until June. Hopefully they will be playing night games there and then play the twin bills at the usual places.

what do you mean, the usual places?...The home ballparks? I don't see anything about that. I think that would add a whole new level of complication to this thing. All the logistics and health issues of trying to get this thing off the ground in Arizona, and then in the middle of that, try and tackle a whole new level of health issues and logistics to move to a bunch of different stadiums around the country? I think if this thing gets up and running, its the season

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:52 am
D-train wrote:

what do you mean, the usual places?...The home ballparks? I don't see anything about that. I think that would add a whole new level of complication to this thing. All the logistics and health issues of trying to get this thing off the ground in Arizona, and then in the middle of that, try and tackle a whole new level of health issues and logistics to move to a bunch of different stadiums around the country? I think if this thing gets up and running, its the season
We had our first case a month after China. They are pretty much back to normal. So we are going take 5 months longer than China? God help us if we are that f-d up.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:07 pm

I am saying the plan as stated, as I understand it, is to play the entire season in Arizona. There is nothing about adjusting that as events change. I think they want to set this thing up and forget about it, get it running and call it a success, not plan on moving everything again during a season
MLB, at the moment, is talking about moving the whole season to Arizona. Yes, that includes 30 teams spending the whole season in one state. Without knowing what other options are under consideration, it makes sense. At least on the surface.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 am
This ridiculousness is in my face daily and people are hurting, dying, and very sick! 9 of my colleagues have contracted it protecting people like you. You'd be best to tread carefully.
Oh for poetic justice. No, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
DMM

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
This ridiculousness is in my face daily and people are hurting, dying, and very sick! 9 of my colleagues have contracted it protecting people like you. You'd be best to tread carefully.
What area of the country are you in? Are you seeing any benefits treating people with the medicines that Trump suggested?

https://twitter.com/BlondieVex/status/1 ... 53667?s=09

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:47 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Oh for poetic justice. No, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Yeah, let's not forget you'd have to dig me up first after trying to bury me right before Trump won and ruined your world.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:59 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
What area of the country are you in? Are you seeing any benefits treating people with the medicines that Trump suggested?

https://twitter.com/BlondieVex/status/1 ... 53667?s=09
I'm in Ft. Worth Texas at John Peter Smith hospital. The only Lvl 1 hospital in the city. And I can tell you no one has seen anything like this at our hospital in the last 30 years. It's worse than bad. We're exhausted, last pay period I pulled 102 hours. We're rationing out supplies. I have to keep my same mask for a week because we are extremely low. I've been exposed to 3 Covid patients and some how miraculously not gotten infected or worse yet my wife or 2 year old daughter. I wish I could say the same for some of my coworkers. This is not something you do for just any old virus like the flu.

Do you know what happens to a person after they've been cured of the Covid-19 virus, if you should happen to even catch it in time? Fibrosis of the lung tissue sets in, and you lose you're lung capacity. Let's hope it's not permanent. Sorry for the lecture, just super stressed and have to be back in ER tonight and hope we find a vaccine soon.

I've seen it first hand and witnessed more people die from it than I care to share. From the ages up 18 on up. Right now we have a mother who is intubated that we had to do a C-section for her pregnancy. I pray that she wakes up, or she may never know that she even gave birth.
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:30 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:52 am
D-train wrote:

We had our first case a month after China. They are pretty much back to normal. So we are going take 5 months longer than China? God help us if we are that f-d up.
Exactly, why is this so hard for people to comprehend. We're already on the downside of the curve, they just need people to stay scared so we stay inside and keep killing it out.

I think what's happening is they're still thinking that 60,000 people are going to die. They're not buying the actual numbers they're seeing because they're being told differently.

Dont have to work very hard to see who's believing what they hear compared to hard data.

Like using scouts instead of stats.