Re: Virus Schmirus

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Meanwhile the Gov of ND has a parade thrown for her for having common sense:

https://twitter.com/govkristinoem/statu ... ic-1500795
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Sat May 02, 2020 5:50 pm

The final chapter has not been written. Nevertheless, I am as happy as a peeing puppy that golf courses are opening Tuesday. I've already scheduled 4 different tee times over 4 days.
DMM

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sat May 02, 2020 6:15 pm

gil wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:05 pm
It looks to me that Inslee and the other governors may be suffering politically from continuing the lock down. Meanwhile, President Trump's net favorability surged in the last week (per 538.com), and my only good guess for why that happened is that he has been championing getting back to normal as soon as possible. So I wonder WHY the (Democratic) governors are not moving faster. If it is not politically beneficial to them, and fighting against the state lock downs is politically favorable for the President, why do the (Democratic) governors persist? At the risk of setting myself up big time, I can't believe that they are all stupid. [And by the way, the governors I'm referring to include Mike DeWine of Ohio, who was the first governor to order a statewide shutdown of schools. And the last time I checked, he's a conservative Republican.] Something else other than politics must be driving their decisions, don't you think? Clearly there are tradeoffs between public health and economic activity. Everyone knows that, including the governors. Is it possible that SOME people do things based on what they think is the right choice?
The governors of New York, Michigan and California among others have been running huge deficits with their retirement funds, pensions and other potentially horrific costs that have been upside down for several yrs.....They have been requesting a bailout for their states and also hoping that the shutdown will affect the economy which they hope will cast a pall over Trump.....They have nothing to lose until the masses revolt and they can just use the we saved everyone from the curve bullshit........

gil

Post by gil » Sat May 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:15 pm
gil wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:05 pm
It looks to me that Inslee and the other governors may be suffering politically from continuing the lock down. Meanwhile, President Trump's net favorability surged in the last week (per 538.com), and my only good guess for why that happened is that he has been championing getting back to normal as soon as possible. So I wonder WHY the (Democratic) governors are not moving faster. If it is not politically beneficial to them, and fighting against the state lock downs is politically favorable for the President, why do the (Democratic) governors persist? At the risk of setting myself up big time, I can't believe that they are all stupid. [And by the way, the governors I'm referring to include Mike DeWine of Ohio, who was the first governor to order a statewide shutdown of schools. And the last time I checked, he's a conservative Republican.] Something else other than politics must be driving their decisions, don't you think? Clearly there are tradeoffs between public health and economic activity. Everyone knows that, including the governors. Is it possible that SOME people do things based on what they think is the right choice?
The governors of New York, Michigan and California among others have been running huge deficits with their retirement funds, pensions and other potentially horrific costs that have been upside down for several yrs.....They have been requesting a bailout for their states and also hoping that the shutdown will affect the economy which they hope will cast a pall over Trump.....They have nothing to lose until the masses revolt and they can just use the we saved everyone from the curve bullshit........
These governors clearly are thinking in ways that I have never imagined. Do you put Ohio in this group too?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 6:56 pm

They would literally pluck there own eyeball out with rusty spoons if it meant getting Trump out of offices. They care not about short or medium term pain. Any any all means justify the end of Trump.
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Sat May 02, 2020 7:34 pm

I don't understand why any of this should affect Trump politically... other than his gaffes. He did not start the coronavirus nor did he cause the economic downturn to occur. To be fair Trump should arrive at election day without any of this affecting him, other than his slow reaction to the pandemic when he'd been informed of its pending arrival.
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:34 pm
I don't understand why any of this should affect Trump politically... other than his gaffes. He did not start the coronavirus nor did he cause the economic downturn to occur. To be fair Trump should arrive at election day without any of this affecting him, other than his slow reaction to the pandemic when he'd been informed of its pending arrival.
I suppose it could be argued that it could have been faster but he issued the travel ban in January and was called a racist for it by most of the left so none of them have a leg to stand on in terms of being qualified to level criticism. Besides the governors had the power to independently implement lockdowns so it really would't have mattered if he did more or nothing.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sat May 02, 2020 8:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:44 pm
Double Mocha Man wrote:
I suppose it could be argued that it could have been faster but he issued the travel ban in January and was called a racist for it by most of the left so none of them have a leg to stand on in terms of being qualified to level criticism. Besides the governors had the power to independently implement lockdowns so it really would't have mattered if he did more or nothing.
I'll take issue with he characterization of "most" on the left. According to whom? A few "blame Trump for everything" idiots on CNN or MSNBC don't represent me. I think I'm pretty much on the left relative to this group, and I thought the travel ban was a good call, as did most of my "leftie" friends. The problem I saw was that there were too many loopholes. But Trump could have been better being a leader in February and early March. He downplayed it as I recall. He's not alone, by the way. But there was the debacle with the test kits, and emergency equipment wasn't adequate. President Trump didn't do this personally, but he IS the chief executive, and that is where the buck stops ultimately.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat May 02, 2020 9:08 pm

The problem is in their revisionist history they are making it seem like Trump waited too long but he was closing down the borders to calls of racism from the left.

They ensure Trump is always damned if he does, damned if he doesnt because they think people are stupid enough to believe them when they say Trump was the problem here.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 9:17 pm

gil wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:44 pm
Double Mocha Man wrote:
I'll take issue with he characterization of "most" on the left. According to whom? A few "blame Trump for everything" idiots on CNN or MSNBC don't represent me. I think I'm pretty much on the left relative to this group, and I thought the travel ban was a good call, as did most of my "leftie" friends. The problem I saw was that there were too many loopholes. But Trump could have been better being a leader in February and early March. He downplayed it as I recall. He's not alone, by the way. But there was the debacle with the test kits, and emergency equipment wasn't adequate. President Trump didn't do this personally, but he IS the chief executive, and that is where the buck stops ultimately.
Sorry gil, I should have been more clear. When I say "left" I am referring to those that would be comparable to the group referred to right wingers. The radical left. On a scale of 1-10 I would guess you are a 3 or a 4. I am probably an a 7 or an 8 as I have never owned a gun so not passionate about gun rights but understand those that are, don't have any problem with gay marriage and think abortion is a necessary evil given the alternative of 10s of millions of unwanted babies that become wards of the state. Also, I am not religious.

What I am passionate about is small government, freedom, and fiscal conservatism. I despise identity politics and hypocrisy which is the religion of the "left". Just look at the difference in the treatment of Blasey Ford and Tara Reade. I also despise the MSM for there blatant bias.
dt