More on Clowney

Donn Beach

Re: More on Clowney

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 13, 2020 10:03 am

doesn't seem to get credit for it, here he is blocking Julius Irving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpuWBD2 ... &index=121

got to love the ABA, see the documentary "Long Shots"? Its interesting, as crazy as the ABA was, how it changed the NBA, I had an ABA ball when i was a kid

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 11:24 am

Wow, looks like I opened up a can of NBA centers. Espn just out with all time top 10:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/291 ... l-nos-10-1
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 11:26 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:57 am
Hakeem Olajuwon had a stretch where he was as dominate as any player ever, he certainly is in the class as Jabbar. And to think he grew up in another country, didn't play basketball until he was 15, unbelievable athlete
Hey we agree! In other news, the pandemic is over!!! :D
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 11:27 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:19 am
Wilt was a tremendous athlete, there was a lot more to it than just being big, it was that combination. He would be a dominate player in today's game, but i don't think he would be the freak of nature he was then. If you sent Shaquille O'Neal back to 1960 what would that be like? It could be Wilt dominates in different ways today. Not taking anything away from the guy, but he wouldn't be allowed to average 50.7 points a game today on a post up move.

here is a projection
Chamberlain's rebounding likely would have carried over well to the modern game. He led the league in rebounding 11 times - even from ages 34 to 36 as he was wrapping up his career with the Lakers - and averaged 22.9 boards per game overall. In any era, a 7-foot-1, 275-pound player who set High Jump records at the University of Kansas would be a standout rebounder.

We don't have official numbers on his shot blocking, but it was a trademark skill. He never fouled out of an NBA game and averaged just two fouls per game in his career. That's impressive, but also suggests he would be prodded to increase his aggression and take more risks today.

If Chamberlain was born 55 or 60 years later, he likely would have been encouraged to diversify his game, to take the touch he showed on his fadeaway jumper beyond the three-point line. There would be more emphasis on drawing fouls, too, on using pump fakes and taking advantage of overzealous defenders. Though free throws were a major weakness for Chamberlain (51.1 percent in his NBA career), he probably would have scored a higher percentage of his points at the foul line.

How much would he score overall? It's obviously a difficult question to answer. Though Chamberlain played during a relatively high-scoring time - teams averaged 118.8 points per game in 1961-62, compared to 111.4 this season - he was an outlier. He would have played a lot less than 45.8 minutes per game in the name of load management, which would have decreased his scoring average but perhaps prolonged his career.

It's possible the shift toward three-point shooting would have diminished his post-up opportunities because, for the most part, the post-up is no longer an efficient or popular type of play. Joel Embiid is an exception, though even he attempts almost four threes a game.

Against constant double teams, Chamberlain would have been coached from a young age on how to systematically read the defense, identifying where extra men were coming from, where his teammates were stationed and what the proper reads were. That might not have made a huge difference, since he had natural talent as a passer and had the most assists in the NBA for the 1967-68 season.
The three second rule was instituted because of Wilt. As was the 10,000 woman rule. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 1:43 pm

Art makes a good point about lack of interest from other teams:
The abrupt decision has trapped Clowney to this day, because the Seahawks are the only team to know his condition, and perhaps his future physical limitations.

Rival bidders have to ask: Why would a team with one of the crappiest pass rushes in the league in 2019 decline to re-invest in a top player at their biggest weakness?

Whatever the Seahawks know, they certainly seem secure enough in it to risk the embarrassment of Clowney signing elsewhere and fulfilling his potential as one of the league’s top edge rushers.

http://sportspressnw.com/2246132/2020/t ... ed-colored
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed May 13, 2020 2:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:43 pm
The abrupt decision has trapped Clowney to this day, because the Seahawks are the only team to know his condition, and perhaps his future physical limitations.

Rival bidders have to ask: Why would a team with one of the crappiest pass rushes in the league in 2019 decline to re-invest in a top player at their biggest weakness?

Whatever the Seahawks know, they certainly seem secure enough in it to risk the embarrassment of Clowney signing elsewhere and fulfilling his potential as one of the league’s top edge rushers.

I think Hawks are totally using that to their advantage. However that team needs him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:25 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:43 pm

I think Hawks are totally using that to their advantage. However that team needs him.
Yep, but they can only play that card until Clowney can visit teams.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed May 13, 2020 5:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Didn't say it was a good strategy. I think that's what they're doing. I hate this approach.

KingCorran

Post by KingCorran » Wed May 13, 2020 8:21 pm

It more and more sounds like a combo of the above... playing to get a deal, and honestly convinced he's not a solo game-changer.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:59 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Didn't say it was a good strategy. I think that's what they're doing. I hate this approach.
Yeah, I agree.....
dt