Official 2019 Draft thread

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Official 2019 Draft thread

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:07 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:49 am
Wow - a fifteen page draft thread! If that doesn't say it all about the state of the franchise... :(
Take away SMFs posts and its 4-5. I think he was trying to over take my all time post total in one night on one thread. lol
HAAAAHAHAHAA!!!!! Lmao I was gonna say something about that last night DT but I was on my 6th beer by the end of the thread. Lmfao!! That's hilarious!

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:57 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:24 am
Can't upload it but our Scouting Director saying that no one else spotted Kirby's walk to so ratio is just cringeworthy.
“It kind of punches you in the face when you look at it,” Mariners scouting director Scott Hunter said of Kirby’s numbers. “You actually have to ask if it’s real. With all our technology and analysis and different video stuff, it is. I don’t think anybody in the country even sniffed his strikeout to walk rate. Obviously it’s something we do here and we value. He fit in perfectly.”
He has to mean that no other pitcher came close to his K/BB rate, right????????? Please tell me that is the case.
I think it's pretty obvious that's what he meant.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Yeah there is a mea culpa here, I read that wrong.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:37 pm

First pick of day 2 is in for zee M'z and it's a.................pitcher

Rd. 3
Ranked: 129

Stoudt, Levi
Lehigh (PA)
P
R/R
4YR JR
6' 1 195lbs
DOB:12/04/97
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Yet another Dipoto trademark small school pick:

Levi Stoudt

Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Slider: 50 | Curveball: 45 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Only two players have made it to the big leagues from Lehigh University in the Draft era, the most recent being Matt McBride, who was selected by the Indians back in 2006. Stoudt hopes to be the next, though an up-and-down junior season has made it a little tougher to pinpoint when he might get taken.

A three-year starter for Lehigh, Stoudt has four pitches that could work for him at the next level. He tends to sit around 92-93 mph and can reach back for a tick or two more at times, though his fastball flattened out a bit this year and was more hittable. His best secondary pitch is his changeup, which he sells well and throws with run and sink at times. At its best, it has downward rotation and fade to it and he can throw it to both sides of the plate. His slider is solid-average and he can land it for strikes, getting swings and misses with it against Patriot League hitters. In the past, his curveball has been a better weapon for him than it has been this year, though he has shown the ability to throw all four offerings for strikes.

The main concern about Stoudt is his size. The 6-foot-1 right-hander isn't extremely physical and while he does have some strength in his lower half, he does need to add more strength to offset worries about his durability over the course of a long pro season. A team that believes he can do that will be willing to bank on his stuff and feel for pitching to be a back-end starter in the future.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Pitching, pitching and more pitching. Draft the pitchers, and trade for the hitters, since M's sure as heck can't develop them.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:04 pm

rockycola wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Levi Stoudt

Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Slider: 50 | Curveball: 45 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Only two players have made it to the big leagues from Lehigh University in the Draft era, the most recent being Matt McBride, who was selected by the Indians back in 2006. Stoudt hopes to be the next, though an up-and-down junior season has made it a little tougher to pinpoint when he might get taken.

A three-year starter for Lehigh, Stoudt has four pitches that could work for him at the next level. He tends to sit around 92-93 mph and can reach back for a tick or two more at times, though his fastball flattened out a bit this year and was more hittable. His best secondary pitch is his changeup, which he sells well and throws with run and sink at times. At its best, it has downward rotation and fade to it and he can throw it to both sides of the plate. His slider is solid-average and he can land it for strikes, getting swings and misses with it against Patriot League hitters. In the past, his curveball has been a better weapon for him than it has been this year, though he has shown the ability to throw all four offerings for strikes.

The main concern about Stoudt is his size. The 6-foot-1 right-hander isn't extremely physical and while he does have some strength in his lower half, he does need to add more strength to offset worries about his durability over the course of a long pro season. A team that believes he can do that will be willing to bank on his stuff and feel for pitching to be a back-end starter in the future.
Seems like a very underwhelming pick up to me

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:14 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:04 pm
rockycola wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Levi Stoudt

Seems like a very underwhelming pick up to me
Not very stout. How many 3rd rounders make it anyway?
37 more rounds to go!

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 pm

4th round pick is in and ................................ anudder pitcher

$455.60k

Round 4
Pick 126

Elliott, Tim
Georgia (GA)
P
R/R
4YR JR
--
6' 1 200lbs
DOB:10/11/97

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:17 pm

This is just ridiculous. In MLB you should never draft for need and here we are witnessing the Mariners do just that. Stop reaching for college pitchers!!!

The Kirby pick was fine. But what the hell are you doing at this point? Stop forcing it.