This dreadful season is only 40% done Game Thread 6/4/19

DavidGee24

Re: GAME THREAD This dreadful season is only 40% done 6/4/19

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:01 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:57 am
Bright side is, we moved "up" to 5th place in next years Draft! In a rebuilding year, that's awesome for me. Now it all goes to shit if we are not competitive by 2021. So I'm ok so long as this is the plan.
The MLB draft is not like the NBA draft. Unless there's a Junior or A-Rod sitting there at #1 it's a crapshoot. Ackley and Holtzen were #2s, Zunino and Clement were #3s. We saw how that worked out. And other franchises have this happen to them as well. Anyway, there's almost zero sense in rooting for draft position.

Logainismyhero

Post by Logainismyhero » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:03 am

Oh my FUCKING LORD......how shitty can this bullpen get????

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:04 am

We really cant find a left handed relief pitcher who can maintain a WHIP under, say, 2.0?

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:01 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Bright side is, we moved "up" to 5th place in next years Draft! In a rebuilding year, that's awesome for me. Now it all goes to shit if we are not competitive by 2021. So I'm ok so long as this is the plan.
The MLB draft is not like the NBA draft. Unless there's a Junior or A-Rod sitting there at #1 it's a crapshoot. Ackley and Holtzen were #2s, Zunino and Clement were #3s. We saw how that worked out. And other franchises have this happen to them as well. Anyway, there's almost zero sense in rooting for draft position.
This is a great point. It all comes down to how good your scouting is.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:18 am
Maybe Manfred will start awarding us with a win if we have a lead any time during the game just to make it fair.
Are the M’s eligible for Participation Trophies at least?

😢
Last edited by Hy Feiber on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
I get it, and completely understand. I just happen to be into all Drafts, NFL, MLB, NBA, even NHL. I understand that they're never sure fire, and all of them are different in their own way, but it doesn't detour me from rooting for a higher draft pick regardless if they may never end up in the Show or not.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:13 am

Petert wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
And even that's iffy. You're scouting guys who are playing against different levels of competition so it's not easy to tell just how good they are, and I think you just need to have better player development and dare I say luck because so many things change over three to four years. A lot of things can go right or wrong with players.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:14 am

Petert wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:40 am
roosevelt wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:38 am
Some heart warming news to pass on... J. Bruce, two Hr's and a double tonight.
Good for him. Class act, I wish him well.
Dear God, I was hoping you were joking.

The CurseLivesOn.

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 am

With all the pitching staff warm-body-trash-heap-resuscitations the Ms have been conducting this year, I would like to see them conduct the following exercise:

Scour the minors, foreign ball, independent leagues for the most near-sighted, Coke-bottle-spectacled, Ryne Duren/Steve Dalkowski flamethrower type that’s out there.

Sign him. Put him in the bullpen, and make him a situational reliever. (Read: *any* situation.)

Then unleash this sucker. I want to see opposing batters’ asses start bailing out of the box when this guy reaches his release point.

It couldn’t be any worse than what we’re seeing. And it’d be a hell of a lot more entertaining.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:34 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:13 am
Petert wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:06 am
DavidGee24 wrote:

And even that's iffy. You're scouting guys who are playing against different levels of competition so it's not easy to tell just how good they are, and I think you just need to have better player development and dare I say luck because so many things change over three to four years. A lot of things can go right or wrong with players.
It's how we basically struck out Ackley, Hultzen, and Zunino. It is a little luck, and scouting, as well as draft position. Absolutely correct on all fronts. But I'd much rather be picking in the Top 5 than 20th in a rebuilding state, regardless of whether he's got the same chance of flaming out or not. I didnt want any of the Three previous players listed above. My picks those years were Crow, Springer, and Gausman. The M's have taken some crappy picks lately at the Top, and it hasn't instilled much faith in the organization's fanbase. It still pumps me up to think about the possibilities though no matter how far fetched they seem.