Nola traded to the Padres

D-train

Re: Nola traded to the Padres

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm
Hopefully Haniger is healthy and plays well to start next season. They may use him as a trade chip at the deadline if that's the case. France seems intriguing, although I think you have to take his 2019 stats in AAA pretty lightly. Its nice to have a good bridge option for 3B until Marte comes along.

Apparently Trammel had unjury issues last year, and finished strong. Having a 4 man OF rotation with him/Lewis/Kelenic/Julio is pretty dang good. Rotate the DH every 4 games between them if they are all deserving of playing every day. Trammel may be the 4th OF though as he might have the lowest hitting ceiling and floor, but probably has the best speed.

Munoz could be a closer. 21 years old only, and throws over 100. I think he's more intriguing than Bautista and Ramirez.

A little background that I learned about Torrens. Looks like he was a rule 5 pick that SD took and stayed on the bench for a year after he'd just gone through an injury. Basically took a year of development away from him. He had a pretty good season in AA last year and is still just 24. At the very least should be a legitimate mlb backup so we don't have to see as much of Hudson/Odom next year if Murphy is healthy.
Sure but France would have easily led the league in OPS if he played in a about 20 more games....

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... 2&sid=l112
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:54 pm

harmony wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:53 pm
An encouraging FanGraphs analysis of Seattle's acquired players:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting-th ... stin-nola/
From your link Harmony, I watched the entire Trammell vid.
Flip him. Trade him. Get what you can out of him.

His bat speed is a little slow.
Worse, he's got a loop in his swing. Meaning, his bat comes through the prime strike plane like a smiley faced emoji.
Bat MUST be on a straight plane! That plane can be straight and level. The plane can be with a slight loft but it will never work with a loop.

It can be corrected but right now it's a serious flaw; it means he's got a dip in his hands and/or elbows once he strides and 'explodes' from the load but even his explodes is too hesitant.
As much as I love emojis, I had smiley face, loopy swings. And again, I see poor bat speed. The loop will lead to strikeouts, pop outs and weak grounders facing MLB pitching.

That is my assessment of Mr. Trammell.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:28 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Hopefully Haniger is healthy and plays well to start next season. They may use him as a trade chip at the deadline if that's the case. France seems intriguing, although I think you have to take his 2019 stats in AAA pretty lightly. Its nice to have a good bridge option for 3B until Marte comes along.

Apparently Trammel had unjury issues last year, and finished strong. Having a 4 man OF rotation with him/Lewis/Kelenic/Julio is pretty dang good. Rotate the DH every 4 games between them if they are all deserving of playing every day. Trammel may be the 4th OF though as he might have the lowest hitting ceiling and floor, but probably has the best speed.

Munoz could be a closer. 21 years old only, and throws over 100. I think he's more intriguing than Bautista and Ramirez.

A little background that I learned about Torrens. Looks like he was a rule 5 pick that SD took and stayed on the bench for a year after he'd just gone through an injury. Basically took a year of development away from him. He had a pretty good season in AA last year and is still just 24. At the very least should be a legitimate mlb backup so we don't have to see as much of Hudson/Odom next year if Murphy is healthy.
Sure but France would have easily led the league in OPS if he played in a about 20 more games....

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... 2&sid=l112
I don't think the PCL had a lot of top prospects last year. He was good enough everywhere else to be encouraged by his hitting, I just wouldn't get too worked up about 1 year in PCL with the juiced ball
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 pm

Trammell clocks in at #6 on the M's prospect list according to MLB.com

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Hopefully Haniger is healthy and plays well to start next season. They may use him as a trade chip at the deadline if that's the case.
Is there no chance Haniger plays this year? If he does, is there more value in having him play next year and dealing him at the deadline than trading him in the off season?
He is done at least until ST 2021. Its unreal. Pretty much a TJ surgery layoff or a position player.
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:57 pm

rockycola wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:54 pm

Worse, he's got a loop in his swing. Meaning, his bat comes through the prime strike plane like a smiley faced emoji.
Bat MUST be on a straight plane! That plane can be straight and level. The plane can be with a slight loft but it will never work with a loop.
Lee Trevino and Jim Furyk have loops in their swings. It's what the golf club or bat is doing in the impact zone that denotes success. Now, if you mean Trammel takes the bat backwards before moving it forward, like guys in slo-pitch softball, then there's a problem.
DMM

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:08 pm

I have made no secret of the fact that I am not a Dipoto fan but I don't see there is anyway you can possibly look at this trade and say it was a bad trade. Honestly if all you were getting back was just France, or Just Trammel or just Munoz The trade would look pretty even for what you would expect for Nola in a deadline deal. The fact that they are getting all three is just mind boggling.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:08 pm
I have made no secret of the fact that I am not a Dipoto fan but I don't see there is anyway you can possibly look at this trade and say it was a bad trade. Honestly if all you were getting back was just France, or Just Trammel or just Munoz The trade would look pretty even for what you would expect for Nola in a deadline deal. The fact that they are getting all three is just mind boggling.
Not to mention we now can avoid to the humiliation of not having a catcher worthy of minimum wage. Not minimum MLB salary, I'm talking $15 an hour minimum wage.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:20 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:06 pm
I don't think the PCL had a lot of top prospects last year. He was good enough everywhere else to be encouraged by his hitting, I just wouldn't get too worked up about 1 year in PCL with the juiced ball
Another way to look at it is that everyone else was hitting that juiced ball and he outhit everyone. Plus, he has hit in the show.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Man I hope someone hits as good as Nola was. This is a tough one to swallow. I am a HUGE Nola fan. However looking at the haul we got, its clearly a no brainer for Seattle, we raped San Diego in this trade!!! Dipoto has been a badass at the reimaging of our organization. The trade for Kelenic and Dunn alone is in of itself worthy of praise, but throw in the Sheffield, Crawford, Then, Marco G., Dylan Moore, acquistions, as well as drafting E. White and Kyle Lewis. I don’t see how you cannot praise our GM. Not all of his moves have panned out, but a lot more have than haven’t up to this point.

And why NOT roll with a 4 man rotation of Trammell, Kelenic, Lewis, and Rodriguez in the OF and DH. The player doesn't have to just be fat or out of shape to be a DH. That's what its there for.