hey, expansion anybody?

D-train

Re: hey, expansion anybody?

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:19 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:12 pm
another article on it, COVID driven, $2.5 billion expansion fee, guess Hansen is even fatter these days
That is, if they get the bidders willing to pay the franchise fees in the markets they want. In any expansion effort, Seattle is a no brainer — the NBA still feels immense guilt for moving the Supersonics to Oklahoma City. It’s a large media market without a team, and Key Arena is undergoing the necessary renovations to be a modern NBA arena as we speak, as the Seattle Kraken expansion NHL team will play there. Hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, from Seattle, is reported to have done well during the pandemic, and has spent nearly a decade trying to get an NBA team back to his home city.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021 ... expansion/
The pandemic is one of the best things to ever happen to the market, up almost 40% the past year. Shut down small business and big business was positioned perfectly to take advantage of it. Guessing since he manages a hedge fund which are far more volatile, his net worth probably doubled. Even a nobody like me is up over $200k since June.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:14 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:05 pm
Yea i do, I am confident the NBA would love to get back into the Seattle market, and that is not based on Sonics nostalgia It be a strong market just based on the size of the metropolitan area and its attributes, same ones that applied to hockey, young, urban, and with money.
If they would LOVE to come back they have an odd way of showing it. Twelve years and counting with no end in sight. Not to mention they blocked every effort made the past decade.
its a great market to be in, the downside is having to share revenue with who owns the team

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:28 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:12 pm
another article on it, COVID driven, $2.5 billion expansion fee, guess Hansen is even fatter these days
That is, if they get the bidders willing to pay the franchise fees in the markets they want. In any expansion effort, Seattle is a no brainer — the NBA still feels immense guilt for moving the Supersonics to Oklahoma City. It’s a large media market without a team, and Key Arena is undergoing the necessary renovations to be a modern NBA arena as we speak, as the Seattle Kraken expansion NHL team will play there. Hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, from Seattle, is reported to have done well during the pandemic, and has spent nearly a decade trying to get an NBA team back to his home city.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021 ... expansion/
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So much guilt that they are now considering the notion to consider possibly moving the decision whether or not to study the feasibility of a potential expansion team from the very back burner to closer to the front of the stove.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:38 pm

its not guilt, its the $2.5 bil entry fee, the guilt is in terms of Seattle, not expansion in general

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:38 pm
its not guilt, its the $2.5 bil entry fee, the guilt is in terms of Seattle, not expansion in general
They practically strapped a rocket destined for OKC to the franchises back and now they feel guilty? This is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever heard in my entire life. Just watch the expansion franchise be awarded to Mexico City and we will see how much Seattle "guilt" they have.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:14 pm

I am no longer interested. The NBA is more worried about spreading their political views than anything else. Can you imagine if the face of the franchise was white and said he hates black people? I realize there is more to that quote from Lebron, but the simple fact that it didn’t turn into a shot storm says a lot.

You have guys like Harden deciding they don’t want to play where they are so they go full on Antonio Brown, but he took it a step further and decided to go on a McDonalds diet as well! I watched a few minutes of a couple of playoff games last year...bad basketball. I’ll sick with watching HS...someday.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:14 pm
I am no longer interested. The NBA is more worried about spreading their political views than anything else. Can you imagine if the face of the franchise was white and said he hates black people? I realize there is more to that quote from Lebron, but the simple fact that it didn’t turn into a shot storm says a lot.

You have guys like Harden deciding they don’t want to play where they are so they go full on Antonio Brown, but he took it a step further and decided to go on a McDonalds diet as well! I watched a few minutes of a couple of playoff games last year...bad basketball. I’ll sick with watching HS...someday.
Exactly and its not like we don't have basketball (granted they suck ass right now)

Literally nothing about the NBA appeals to me right now. The fact that a punk like Jalen McDaniels gets drafted sums up the league perfectly.

Surprise surprise, he is averaging 9 minutes and 3 points a game.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Not just drafted, but after one year of proving he is completely immature? He goes in the first round, as a 19 year old kid.

The list of ex-Huskies who became millionaires after leaving school early and doing next to nothing in the NBA is a long one. BUT, they are millionaires, so who can blame them?

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 pm

It's such a different game now too, basically a 3-point shooting contest. Every team has a few Dale Ellises and now and then you'll see half a team's shots be 3-pointers. Bad teams can easily rout good teams out of the arena if they get hot from outside. While it is a marvel that these guys, even 7-footers, can routinely launch swishers from 25 feet away, is the game as fun to watch as it used to be? It's a question that's up there with the question if baseball is as good a game with so many more home runs and strikeouts.

I have such a sour taste in my mouth and the idea of Newpursonics doesn't excite me. All the success we would have had with the great team that was gift-wrapped for OKC. An expansion team won't be like the Kraken, the NBA will see to it that they suck for at least three years. Probably longer.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:29 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:45 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:38 pm
They practically strapped a rocket destined for OKC to the franchises back and now they feel guilty? This is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever heard in my entire life. Just watch the expansion franchise be awarded to Mexico City and we will see how much Seattle "guilt" they have.
wouldn't call it guilt in the first place, regret be more like it. They traded a large market for a small one and got hit with a shit load of negative press for their effort. In terms of Mexico City its a fun idea, but doubt it happens, too much risk to go where basketball isn't really that popular. Should put one in Manila, now that be popular!